• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

My idea for new version of warcraft 3 melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi I have idea/dream for a map that is a condensed version of warcraft 3 w/ advanced items like a MOBA. You still have units but the unit count is limited to 15 and here is where the possibility for so many different options like quests, zone control, economic manipulation and hero focus could come into place. Here are my questions for the reader.

Do you think this idea could work?

Would you be interested in designing or giving insights into the physical layout of the map?

Would you be interested in designing the objectives of the game?

I think this idea has not been looked at or refined with regards to changing the pace, style and scaling of the game. Why I am looking for help is that using the core mechanics of the game you could code the map fairly quickly; all you need is to change a few abilities add items and mechanics like spell power. The most important part however is the map, this is the only thing I cannot do in any realm as good as those who are talented with artistic ability. I think the map and slight changes in the physical layout of production and gold income could create a more MOBA like experience and may even give Activision a game that they could create for competitive integrity. The game is also melee style so you could even push popular streaming services to broadcast gameplay on their channel. This idea is just to bring back life to Warcraft and make the game abit more less complicated for the average player. I really would like a discussion on this topic so if you could ask questions it would help. Please consider and post.

Edit: Also how much would you charge for a specialized melee wc3 map?

I think if you want this map to be really popular, honestly I do not know how to motivate or manipulate another human being to open the Warcraft III: Reforged game client. So I think your target platform is something important that you should address from the start. Are you aiming to make Reforged more popular and publicly accepted, or are you hoping to create a particular game technology regardless of the platform it runs on?

Once you have answered that question, the people who you should recruit to help you probably will come from different groups of people depending on your answer. Some people know the Warcraft III engine really well. For example, if they were going to implement a Spellpower system, they could do so quickly by using new APIs added on Reforged for capturing and modifying spell damage to meet their needs.

On the flipside, there are other people who are more skilled in making new games out of nothing. And I think these two have possibly diverged more over time. The people who can create games out of nothing do not need Warcraft III so when they imagine your project they start to imagine something like League of Legends for example which has a lot of 1 to 1 direct ripoffs of Warcraft III and mostly is always just one single Warcraft III style of "map", but the game used its own engine and became popular independently so that it does not need to depend on the Warcraft III systems anymore.

Personally I would be really interested to see a modding platform based on Warcraft III that would allow super advanced customization in a way that feels easy and efficient. For example, in Warcraft III if you were going to add Spellpower as mentioned above, when you started making items to add Spellpower you would have to put them in the map script data because there is no other way that I know of.

However, if you worked inside Blizzard and were going to add Spellpower, then you could add a new item ability called "Item Spell Power Bonus (+3)" that would have a customizable field where you could copy that ability and make more items with other copies of the ability that give different amounts of Spell Power along with their other bonuses. So I'm able to imagine a future where we could mod Warcraft III in the manner of the original developers who created it, but I have not encountered a system exactly like that yet that was able to offer exactly what I wanted.

So anyway, because I am a guy who is wanting more systems rather than more content at this moment, my ability to help you will probably be limited and as other people join in on this topic I might drift away and not reply much. But there were my first thoughts about your idea, basically: have you decided what system you will use? I think it will affect your goal a lot.

Also how much would you charge for a specialized melee wc3 map?
Hard question. It seems like games such as League of Legends did this in a very effective way where the game itself is free, but then once you are playing it there are motivations and incentives to pay for stuff within the game. That way anybody can get into the game, and anybody paying for stuff in the game feels like it is justified because they decided to pay for it. It avoids the situation where you have a possible player interested in your game who thinks about trying the game, but then does not try it, because he did not have the funds at the time.
If you do not think your game will ever get very big, however, then it could be possible that the voluntary funding from ingame purchases like that will not be enough. So, in that case it could make sense to sell the game for a flat price.

Status
Not open for further replies.