• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Campaign is too big (220 MB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I wanted to upload my campaign in the map section, but it seems that 220 MB are too much so I wanted to ask if it is possible to upload it somehow anyway in the map section. I worked 3 years on it and finally it is ready to be uploaded, it is a really big project and I can surely guess that there has never been something like that on the Hive Workshop before. Just check out my Map Development Thread (with download link!). Is it worth it?

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/teop-sechiron-rises-259533/

Level 16
Compress your files in your map to reduce the map size. Compression is a method used to usually decrease
the quality and file size of a file. Your map can be compressed and the files (imports) inside your map can
also be compressed.

There is not much you can do to compress model files.

Level 16
I wanted to upload my campaign in the map section, but it seems that 220 MB are too much
He is not really asking how to compress the map size.

He wants to upload the map and compressing his imports may cut down the map size enough to do so. I doubt he compressed his files properly if his map is 220MB or he could at least have mentioned he's already tried it.

Please! DO NOT compress or lower the quality of the files. Warcraft III has already bad graphics and to downgrade it would make it horrifying to play. Some of these people do not understand that Warcraft 3 is already more than 8 years old game, it needs to at-least keep in touch with visuals.

Just request Ralle to increase the limit of campaign size or redirect the link to MediaFire.

Level 16
Maps and campaigns are somewhat different thing.

I don't understand this comment. Are you suggesting that the file size doesn't matter because its a campaign? Of course the file size matters. If you can decrease the size of the map without loss of quality then you should. Downloading a 220MB map is tedious. Uploading would be more so of a problem.

Please! DO NOT compress or lower the quality of the files. Warcraft III has already bad graphics and to downgrade it would make it horrifying to play. Some of these people do not understand that Warcraft 3 is already more than 8 years old game, it needs to at-least keep in touch with visuals.

I don't think you know how compression works. You can normally compress something without any noticeable loss of quality. In other words, this map could be cut down a number of MB's without any loss in quality. The quality of the imports gets affected if you over compress, so to speak.

As for the creator, if your unsure of how to compress, send me an unprotected copy of your map. I'll take a look and see what I can do while leaving the quality intact.

Level 37
I don't understand this comment. Are you suggesting that the file size doesn't matter because its a campaign? Of course the file size matters. If you can decrease the size of the map without loss of quality then you should. Downloading a 220MB map is tedious. Uploading would be more so of a problem.

I mean the method of compressing a map or a campaign is a different thing.

I don't think you know how compression works. You can normally compress something without any noticeable loss of quality. In other words, this map could be cut down a number of MB's without any loss in quality. The quality of the imports gets affected if you over compress, so to speak.

He wont get the required result of the compression in any way. It is already large enough beyond on what compression can handle. - 220 MB. He will only get the 20% / 10% off of it.

Level 16
I mean the method of compressing a map or a campaign is a different thing.

Perhaps with the map optimizer but compressing textures and audio essentially works the same way.

He wont get the required result of the compression in any way. It is already large enough beyond on what compression can handle.

Any reduction in file size can only be a good thing given the files are not over compressed.

He will only get the 20% / 10% off of it.

Not necessarily. Depending on how much the files have already been compressed, what the files are used for and what portion of his imports, relative to file size, are textures or audio. However, 20% savings is significant. That's 44MB.

apparently there is a file size limit that prevents him from doing so. At least that's what I think he is saying.

This is probably the case and even with compression, the map may still exceed the permissible limit. Regardless, it's still a good idea to cut down the map's file size if possible.

Already thought the same

I'd be happy to take a look at your imports if your comfortable sending the map to me. I'm curious to see what I can do with the imports.

Level 16
Just spent a lil bit of time compressing his map. I used an MPQ editor to get access to the files. Saved 51.6MB. That's a 23.5% file size reduction. The largest BLP I found was 2231KB large. Massive!

I only compressed the larger files because well....there was over 900 BLPs and I couldn't be bothered compressing them all. Some similar structured textures could be batch processed and there are numerous other files yet to be compressed. I didn't open the individual maps either. You could probably save another 20-35MB or so if you have the time.

Some files may have been named wrong or mistakenly use another name. Unlikely but there may be one or two done wrong. I'd recommend right clicking your original files and using the "replace import" button. If there are any errors in certain textures (unlikely) then revert to old texture or re compress yourself.

Attachments

• Compressed Files.rar
    19 MB · Views: 49
Just spent a lil bit of time compressing his map. I used an MPQ editor to get access to the files. Saved 51.6MB. That's a 23.5% file size reduction. The largest BLP I found was 2231KB large. Massive!

I only compressed the larger files because well....there was over 900 BLPs and I couldn't be bothered compressing them all. Some similar structured textures could be batch processed and there are numerous other files yet to be compressed. I didn't open the individual maps either. You could probably save another 20-35MB or so if you have the time.

Some files may have been named wrong or mistakenly use another name. Unlikely but there may be one or two done wrong. I'd recommend right clicking your original files and using the "replace import" button. If there are any errors in certain textures (unlikely) then revert to old texture or re compress yourself.

Well, compare the quality loss in audio, textures and any polygons. I guess we already know the answer. The creator will decide weather to upload the full uncompressed or upload the compressed one. If this was my campaign/map I would not compress it for the world, I am extra careful about any quality loss in those factors.

Level 16
A lot of the files were raw in 100% quality. You can compress to about 75-80% with no noticable loss. Compress down to 40% and youll notice a small loss of quality only on moderate and large units. Compress to 25% if a small file size is important, but dont compress thiis far for large units/ buildings, etc. Anything lower than 25% will start losing quality quickly. You can sometimes compress textures that are small and not very visible to 5-15% quality. For someone concerned of quality 35-60% quality is ideal depending mainly on the size of the unit using the texture.

Its not a matter of opinion and preference of quality or file size. Textures (in most cases) should not exceed 75% quality full stop. If you argue otherwise then you dont understand how compression works.

Level 12
Try now. The max filesize should be 300MB now.

If it only were so easy for the rest of wc3.. :con:
Maybe do what I do. Putting all the resources into the mpq files of war3 and war3x.
That is nearly always a bad idea. Either you put them in the map or you make your own folder structure in the wc3 directory..

Level 5
Yes in order to succeed putting files in the mpq file, you should always value the use of (listfile), view it with notepad, you will see all the directories of the new files you have put in your mpq file.

Well it's easy for me because I'm going to create a huge campaign in the future, that you need to download a 1 gb war3x.mpq file haha outside hive.

Status
Not open for further replies.