• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music: Advantages of 'Play Sound' vs 'Play Music'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I don't know much about the various music trigger actions in this game, and I'm noticing that some of my cinematics aren't playing the music that I want when I would expect.

I looked around a bit but haven't found a general guide about the basic sound/music trigger actions.

I am not using any imported music, I just want to play particular WC3 music at particular times.
I started by going through the sound editor and picking each of the musics I wanted there and selecting 'use as music'.

I'm not sure whether to use the trigger "Sound - Play Sound" or "Sound - Play Music". Both seem to work, so I'm wondering what the difference is.

Any general tips about how to make sure music ends and begins when I want it to would be great too, because I'm noticing weird things happening with music not starting to play until long after a trigger told it to.

Level 11
The main difference between the two Play Sound triggers is the sound volume settings for the individual player. Play Sound will use the sound volume, play music will use the music volume. In general, if it's music use play music, otherwise use play sound. This just respects the players volume options. (For example, I have WC3 music muted, so that I can play my own music but still hear sound effects). I can't talk to the problems you're having with playing music though.

Level 8
If I end current music after fading, do I need to wait a certain amount of time before it will obey a trigger to start a new music?

Also when a music track ends, will it loop by default? If not, what music will it do next by default?

Lastly, is there a way to detect which music is currently being played (even if I haven't set any music yet, I'm just curious if there's a way to check, say, whether it is playing human theme 1 or human theme 2 on a generic map or something)

Status
Not open for further replies.