• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Getting music to play continuously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
So I'm finally adding music to my campaign; and I assumed this would be easy. It is not, oddly.

I went to the tutorial here on the Hive, and followed the instructions which amounted to playing my music using the "Play Music" action at the start of the map (or shortly thereafter). This was supposed to, "When your game starts, your music will now play in the background as a continuous soundtrack."

• Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.05 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Sound - Play 13_Norwegian_Pirate <gen>
It doesn't. It plays once and never again.

So I tried:
  • Sound - Set the music list to 13_Norwegian_Pirate <gen>, starting with song 0
It didn't play at all; just generic Blizzard music.

Do I really need to time my music and replay it manually? How bad are these music commands?

EDIT:

Sorry, let me make these more precise:

1. How do you get the computer to play one song as a background song?

2. How do I change that background song mid-map?

3. What's the difference between the Play Music action and the Play Music Theme action? The text in the editor suggests the theme only plays once...but so does the "Play Music" action.

Last edited:
Level 14
For those in the future with similar problems, I think I figured it out. The file size of the song was almost 4MB. It would play once just fine, but then never repeated (I made a test map to confirm). I then compressed the song down to less than 2MB and it repeats. I have no idea why that would be...but if you can't get a song to repeat, try using another one to test and then compressing if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.