• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Murder/Detective based map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Fellow Hive members,

I realize the following thread is rather lengthy but if you could take the time to read and comment on its contents it would be greatly appreciated.

Awhile ago I suggested some sort of murder game where the killer can 'blackmail' victims.

However, due to the lack of purpose that such a feature would have as well as the difficulty that would lie in implementing it I've decided to go in another direction though still on the premise of a killer, detective and victims/bystanders.

Furthermore I have started working on it myself with the purpose of this thread being:

1. To validate the originality of the idea (has a similar concept already been done?, is this different enough?)

2. To receive your personal opinions on the idea.

I've been playing games like Werewolf and enjoy the idea of leaving players guessing who is trying to kill them...

However, I personally have yet to see a well executed game that has its focus directly on the idea of a killer and detective such as the PC game 'The Ship' (werewolf is more of a vigilante/act on suspicion sort of game and the base building reminded me too much of games like Trolls v Elves) though I may have missed such a game.

My concept is this...

Within a town exists several villagers, one of this villagers is a detective while another is a killer brought back from a great evil (name in progress but lets just call it the Dark).

All villagers have jobs throughout the day for their income as well as needs such as food, water and sleep (including the killer.)

The killer may select an avatar who has a particular 'modus operandi' (m.o) or method of killing and must eliminate all villagers. With each victim, the killer will gain additional aid from the Dark in the form of items, minions or events.

While the killer may murder their victims through a method that deviates from the m.o, the success of that method is less. Also kills done via the m.o will result in swifter and greater rewards.

When attempting a murder, the killer's method as well as their success in it will determine if the victim dies as well as the degree and type of clues that are left.

The killer can attempt to remove some of these clues; this however takes time.

Detectives can meanwhile identify and inspect these clues for hints

That is more or less the concept so far; if I haven't explained enough or you have a query don't hesitate to post it

Level 18
Additional Idea...

It reminds me a little bit of 'Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hyde' story...

So here is my add-on suggestion (Note : Some may be similar)...

Players
1) Every player starts as a newcomer to a city/town/village.
2) No player can build town halls, towers, etc. However, players can buy property/land.
3) Players cannot have multiple jobs. They can have one job at a time and must quit their current job to switch to another.
4) Players however can generate side income by owning certain property (example : Tavern/Bar, Brothel).
5) Multiple players can have the same job as each other (Example : 5 players are guards).
6) Every player can become detective, either through the Local Authority (Job) or as Private Establishment (Side Income).
7) Certain facility in town can be use to increase the stats of the player (Example : Library to improve Intelligence stat)

The Detective Job
1) Players do not acquire new skill/ability by choosing this line of work.
2) Detective Items will allow the players access to detective skills (example : 'Search Hidden Clue' skill by using 'Magnifying Glass' item).
3) The players 'Intelligence' stat will determine the strength of some Detective Item skill (Example : The number of items the Detective can find out carried by a player using the 'Magnifying Glass' item is determine by X/10, with X = Int stat a.k.a if the detective have 30 Int stat they can reveal 3 random items the target player is holding).

Murderer/Killer/Criminal
1) The 'chosen' Player who becomes the 'Killer' gain an ability 'Killer Mode'. This allow the player to 'morph' into the Hooded Figure and gain access to several 'Killer' ability. Be warn, morphing into the killer within the sight of another player (or worse detective) will automatically turn the player 'Hostile' to everyone (does not count for morphing within another player's property/building).
2) Killer Items will be supplied by 'The Boss' to the Killer. Some items can be crafted with components from specific Common Job items.
3) When the Killer murdered someone, clues will be left according to weapon in-use, method of killing, etc (Example : i) Killing victim in melee will left 'Melee Wound Clue' on the scene and 'Bloody Footprint Clue' by the Killer for the next 30 second. ii) Killing the victim using range weapon will left 'Range Wound Clue' on the scene and 'Killer Footprint' at the point where the Killer shot the victim)

Level 3
Re: Wandering Soul

I appreciate your suggestions and will try to take them into consideration though there are a few that may be an issue...

Players:

3/5: My concern with these implementations is that you will have issues where either all players go as the same role or two and the other needs of the populace won't be met (guards and mayor only will lead to starvation :O) especially since there are at least 5 or 6 jobs that fairly vital or with a preference system there will be players who consistently miss out on the roles they want to play. This is why I would prefer to make it randomly done (perhaps in conjunction with preference) so that all players can have a turn at each job.

6: could be exploited to identify the killer (unless killer is detective too O_O would be kinda cool), outside of that my concept was that if the detective is killed then the town can try to pursue justice their own way (deducing and killing the murderer.)

Murderer: funnily enough I have already made a killer who dons a suit to murder his victims (of which everyone becomes hostile towards to.) Though I feel that an archetype system may work better to give players that flexibility in tactics (some people may instead prefer to poison people as the 'Vicious Viper') I also wish to not overall heavily restrict the methods of players but rather provide an incentive for specific executions (like the item idea you mentioned.)

P.S: sadly my project has been delayed because Warcraft III World Editor.exe decided to corrupt itself (stop working; maps are fine -- I think...)

ooo btw +rep for you :D

_PV

_PV

Level 7
There could be a problem - When the killer kills a player, The player can see the killer's "nickname" (E.g. pro1337 has killed niblet341) then obviously niblet341 is going to announce in the [all] chat: "omg guys, pro1337 is the killer! sir detective, plx kill? KTHXBAI" and right there the game is GG.....

Solution 1: I suggest the Killer shouldn't kill the victims directly, but should leave traps for the victims (E.G. niblet341 works at a restaurant, the killer can rig a chandelier to fall from the roof onto niblet341's head and he is done for.) but this idea is more for a modern assassinating type of map, like a hit-man killing his targets....

Solution 2: The assigned killer should acquire an ability which can only be cast once per "round" (if you will) which acts as a mark, activating a mob to spawn somewhere on the map and kill the target. (like a spectre or invisible force which roams the streets, AI'ed to tactically kill his victim.) the niblet341 won't suspect a thing! To also assure full efficiency of this idea, the range of the ability should be point blank, to give the victim a fair chance to suspect.

You wouldn't want to make it like a LOAP with a twist, so the job's and village setting should be medieval and the point of the victims is to survive by upgrading their burrows/homes/towers/Whatever :p

The exorcist of this evil (detective) should be chosen VIA voting. Evil denizen, VIA random. (obviously the the one selected as detective will be removed from the random pool to avoid having a detective hunting itself XD)

so yeah, here's pretty much a few tips and stuff like that :p hope your WORLD EDITOR gets fixed so that you can get back into mapping \o/ goodluck with map bro ^_^

Level 3
Re:pV

I just loved that example, made me lol :D

Anyways, I'm pretty sure there is a trigger that changes your character's alias/player name. And worst case scenario I can just align him with another player that is just dedicated for the killer form.

Though don't be surprised if you open your door only for a deadly trap to trigger. Yes, there will be a trapmaster :D though I'm thinking of adding a twist where most of his traps make it look like an accident.

I agree with the voting system (would be awks if you knew who was the killer from the beginning.) and I agree with the random based voting for other jobs (though may add preferential on top of randoming if someone really hates a particular job.)

Thanks for the support and constructive 'debugging' :D, my editor has just recently become functional again.

+rep :)

Reactions: _PV
Level 3
Re: _PV & Wandering Soul

Somehow I didn't get that message. :p
But anyways SURE!!! :D.

Seriously, I could use a co-worker, would really lessen the workload and be a constant source of constructive criticism and testing :)

Guess we should move one to the project section then, eh partner? :p

Update:
found your message lol and btw I have already started some work on it (got a hero and hunger system working -- they might be redundant in terms of triggers though 0_0)

Status
Not open for further replies.