• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AkosHUN's map idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
First of all, I just want an opinion, I don't want to look for a crew to make it come true! It's a really simple idea, I can make it too.

So let's start with a story:
~Not based on historical events!! Takes reference: Jack the ripper (1888)

STORY
United Kingdom - october, 1928
It's a really rainy day. It just won't stop, it has been raining since the last Monday. Andrew Wilson, the forensic of the British Police Department (BPD ingame) (the hero under our control) is really fed up with the recent news. His chief told him to look after a serial killer's latest murder. Andrew didn't really like it...

GAMEPLAY
The gameplay is really simple. Not about action, fighting, but scenes may include some shooting, since our hero is the part of a Police Department. The main gameplay is about to find out who is the serial-killer. He could leave letters, and he can walk on the streets. If you want to arrest him, you can scout for him in the pubs, on the streets, anywhere. If you want to follow his game, to make it easier, just follow them. It's really your choice.
The WHOLE UK will be exploreable (Uncluding the Republic of Ireland). Most towns and cities will appear in the map, and I plan to make the most of them important. It will take a really long time, but be patient!

MAIN QUEST
The main quest is simple: Find out who is the serial killer! It can be really anyone!

CONCEPTION
That is the most interesting part. Let's start with the skins.
First concept:​
The main idea is a Black and White scenery. So only grayscale colors.
Second concept:​
Everything is black and white and RED. That option would make the game easier. For example red buildings are more important, and you can interact with them, like the Police Department. Or important people's suit/clothes could contain red color too.
Third concept:​
This idea is more like the game "Saboteur". I mean the United Kingdom is all Black and White (or maybe red), and the Republic of Ireland is colorful.

I personally prefer the option 2, but you can say your opinions. Thank you, and I hope you'll like, and you'll play it.

Last edited:
Level 15
Hm, that's interesting.

I, for one, prefer option two - but instead of coloring buildings/people red, leave that color only for flavour things - like blood, fire and so on. Otherwise it would be a too obvious hint to where to look.

Anyway, good luck! Your project looks really interesting.

PS: add a poll, will be easier.

Level 18
Hum, first of all original idea +rep.

Now:
If you want it to be black and white for an atmosphere purpose, it is a really brillant idea. You should really implement it.

Now adding red, as Trillium said, would be too obvious for the player. But you can make it so it wont just "oh it's red, I gotta go inside". Instead of coloring the building the players has to go in, colors all the building the player can go in. It has two advantages: the first is that the player wont be lost in your big map, the second is that it also gives a clue on what building to investigate.

About the NPCs: The hero should be able to speak to everyone, even the none red-coloured characters.

So definitively second concept.

I also think it is hard to make such a map, the serial killer and the clues that leads to him should be randomized. Would he kills people while you are investigating ? So you have to go the murder place and search for clues.

Last edited:
Level 3
Hum, first of all original idea +rep.

Now:
If you want it to be black and white for an atmosphere purpose, it is a really brillant idea. You should really implement it.

Now adding red, as Trillium said, would be too obvious for the player. But you can make it so it wont just "oh it's red, I gotta go inside". Instead of coloring the building the players has to go in, colors all the building the player can go in. It has two advantages: the first is that the player wont be lost in your big map, the second is that it also gives a clue on what building to investigate.

About the NPCs: The hero should be able to speak to everyone, even the none red-coloured characters.

So definitively second concept.

I also think it is hard to make such a map, the serial killer and the clues that leads to him should be randomized. Would he kills people while you are investigating ? So you have to go the murder place and search for clues.

About the investigation: The Chief will give you the address of the house where the murdering happened.(a "!" will mark it on the map)
You go there, and you have to collect all the items (broken glasses, blood, etc. of course not shown as red, you'll have to find it) At the end of each investigation, the our bad guy will leave clues to find him to make it more interesting.
The found items will have to be moved into the department's lab.

The red coloring: Of course it would be too easy if I color red the most important buildings. The map would never mean any challenge... So the doors of the buildings will be red, what you can interact with (so shops, houses, BUT no investigation areas will be shown as red!)

Speaking with NPC's: No every NPC will be able to talk, since it would be too complicated if I make every single NPC's very own personality. But there will be very much NPC's to interact with.

The story is constant!!! So no random value will appear (not including the peds' walkpoints) However there will be too many important NPC's. So to make the story long enough, to make every single important NPC.
But it isn't done yet! Now in my freetime I write it as a novel. So ... yeah... It will take a bit longer. But the gameplay will be also longer, a much more interesting story, more details, more drama, more different scenes, and so on. I hope you'll enjoy.
That's it for now, more updates later!

Last edited:
Level 18
Yeah you can have some regular seed of dialog that every civilan / trader / policeman (for instance) can say.

Level 3
Not a bad idea, but I plan to make a class for peds, who say "Get out of my way!" "Leave me!" and such things. The other class is for the NPC's with a very own "personality".

Level 3
They will, since the converstation will change if you have a mission, or you're at the beginning of one. So your chief will tell you everything, like the address, the target, everything. The main story will have an end, but not the side-quests. You will be always able to sign for one, and with each mission you'll earn XP and equipment when you rank up.

Level 3
That was the original plan. But the decisions are hard to make, but it's simple. For example if you're about to get the murderer, but you're not fast enough, or you're out of ammo or something, the story will go on and on and on.

Level 9
I think something like that will be hard to make unless youre skilled with JASS or something.And how willit be grayscale?

Status
Not open for further replies.