• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Multiple death animations does not show in editor or in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya.

I've got this simple platform model I want to work as the in game elevator does.

The elevator works in three steps. Bottom, mid, and top.

It has three stand animations. Stand, Stand Second, Stand Third (bot, mid, top)
It has three birth animations. Birth, Birth Second, Birth Third (bot to mid, mid to top, bot to top).
It also has three death animations. Death, Death Second, Death Third (mid to bot, top to mid, top to bot).

Now all these animations work in magos. Going up and going down. But once the model has been imported to the editor the death animations are no longer shown. The platform stays still in all of these as if it were playing the Stand animation.

Inspecting the standard elevator it seem to be doing exactly what I am. So what could be the problem?

Right.

So to start with I tried changing the animation names for the death animations. Specifically Death to Spell.
This had no impact. The animation still doesn't play in the editor or in game.

Here is an image of the translation of the one bone.
Capture_005.png

As you can see the death animations are the ones that makes the platform go up (that's the way the standard elevators in War3 does it as well. Birth is down).
All those translations happen when the animations are played in Magos. But the death animations are not when in the editor or in game.

Edit:
Alright so I tried repositioning the animations to no avail. Actually afterwards only the Birth Third and stand animations worked.
I have no idea... well it seems the order of the animations have something to say, but other than that, no idea what's going on.

Last edited:
What about importing the animations following this order, Birth/Stand/Death, Birth Second/Stand Second/Death Second...
Hmm I could try that.
I did try Stand/Death/Birth, Stand Second/Death Second/Birth Second, Stand Third/Death Third/Birth Third. That's when only one animation worked.

Is this a known issue?

Convert the model into .mdl and then open it in Notepad. Find "Sequences" and check if the sequences are in arranged in the correct order. No matter what their order is, they will always work in Magos, but not in game.
Actually I already did that. The sequences seem to be the same. But I did not check if the listed order was the same.

But to be sure I understand.
In the sequence list in Magos the animations are, well of course, listed in a certain way.
The way they are listed there must the list order be the exact same in the .mdl?
Because I thought as long as the numbers were the same... well yeah.

Level 21
Actually I already did that. The sequences seem to be the same. But I did not check if the listed order was the same.

But to be sure I understand.
In the sequence list in Magos the animations are, well of course, listed in a certain way.
The way they are listed there must the list order be the exact same in the .mdl?
Because I thought as long as the numbers were the same... well yeah.
In Magos, sequences are arranged alphabetically. In Notepad, they should be arranged in the same way as in the "Translation" window in your screenshot.

In Magos, sequences are arranged alphabetically. In Notepad, they should be arranged in the same way as in the "Translation" window in your screenshot.

And huzzard! We have a winner. In the .mdl files the birth animations were listed before the death animations instead of the other way around.
Thank you very much for the insight and help.

Do you know how or why this happens?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.