• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

MPQ Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would add files to war3, war3x, or war3patch.mpq. Then in the object editor you would just assign the objects to those file paths. Example: You put an icon in the folder "ReplaceableTextures" -> "Command Buttons" in war3x.mpq. The file is named "BTNIcon.blp". In the object editor, you would just put the path "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNIcon.blp".

If you edit the MPQ, make sure you do it while the editor is not open. Close the MPQ fully before opening the editor to make sure the changes go into effect.

Just note that this is against Blizzard's EULA.

Level 21
I simply use a folder. Changing the MPQ is sort of risky, since you can fuck things up. And more complicated. Although the risk can be mitigated by thinking, aka backing things up, but still.

I just put a folder in the WC3 folder, named "Local"
Then I organize things by author and modelname.

Example:
Local\Alpain\Mage

With icons I put one icon like the example above(main icon) and then the other I put into ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\Iconname
I've tested and it does work, while still not ruining my system.

Why do I go through all that?
1. Incredibly easy to look up and add models to map.
2. Don't have to import to map and don't have to restart editor.
3. Don't have to keep or make a list of people to credit, as I can just look them up in model paths.
4. Absolutely impossible to NOT know who made a model, because I can't place it anywhere if I don't know the author.
5. If this ever goes into a wider scale, then it's impossible to fake models, as everyone needs to have the same folder and so far it's only possible to get from me.
6. Map space is not used up and memory is only used for models that actually have been used ingame.

Status
Not open for further replies.