• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moving bones with the model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, I wan't to move a model so it doesn't be in center, but when I move vertexes bones don't follow so the model looks creepy and it's animations look even creepier because bones are not where they should be.
I don't see how is possible to move the bones manually 'cause there is to many of them, and moving them just where they are supposed to be is kinda difficult... is there any tool or some other way to move all the bones at the same time or follow the vertexes when you move them? Thanks!

Level 21
for some reason it doesn't work for me if I move or scale geosets with the Matrix Eater the bones don't move nor scale
Try checking "Show pivot points" and "Only show parents of active geosets" in the second tab of the View Controller (purple button) before doing any transformations.

I know that it works since I've done it before. You could try an older version of Matrix Eater if this version doesn't work properly.

Level 4
Health bar was okay, so I I think I've done it well, but selection circle was still on the ground.

Selection circle is bound to the origin ref or is it always on the ground until you change its height in OE?

Level 21
Thanks, it works that way, but it didn't move ref bones, that must be done manually?
You mean attachments? It should move them too, except maybe Origin and Overhead, which are usually not connected to any other node, so you may have to move those two manually.
Selection circle is bound to the origin ref or is it always on the ground until you change its height in OE?
The 'Art - Selection Circle - Height' field defines the height of the unit's selection circle if the 'Movement - Type' is set to 'Fly' or 'Hover' and 'Movement - Height' is set to a positive value.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you should also know the selection circle can never go below the ground level.

Level 4
Well then, I don't know, it didn't move attachments with the rest of the bones, and I manually moved all attachments but selection circle stayed on the ground regardless that unit is walking.

At the moment I'm just trying to move the HighElf archer higher, but when I learn how to do that I want to combine archers with some platform models so it looks like a tower with archers on it.

Level 21
selection circle stayed on the ground regardless that unit is walking.
Well, you probably know that selection circles always stay on the ground, but only in World Editor. What I meant is that you can't change the height of the unit's selection circle unless the unit is flying or hovering.
I want to combine archers with some platform models so it looks like a tower with archers on it.
I've done something similar before; I didn't notice any problems with attachments back then, but now when I opened the model, I saw that it did not in fact move the attachments. Interesting... this should probably be reported to Retera, so he could fix it in the next version of the Matrix Eater.

Last edited:
Level 4
Well, you probably know that selection circles always stay on the ground, but only in World Editor. What I meant is that you can't change the height of the unit's selection circle unless the unit is flying or hovering.

I've done something similar before; I didn't notice any problems with attachments back then, but now when I opened the model, I saw that it did not in fact move the attachments. Interesting... this should probably be reported to Retera, so he could fix it in the next version of the Matrix Eater.

Don't know who that is, but I hope you will. xD

I will play a little with that and we will see what's going on. Thanks for your help! :D

I can offer you 3 ways to solve you issue.

1) With Magos (aka Warcraft 3 Model Editor), open the model with Magos, then go to Model Editor, select all the vertices and move them along the desired axis where you want the model to be. Then open the Node Manager and add at each bone at the corresponding axis the same value for which you moved the vertices, i.e. if you moved the vertices for 10 along the X-Axis, then add about 10 too at each bone's, helper object's, emitter's, etc. X-value as well. This method is very time-consuming and the results aren't always as expected....

2) With MDLVIS. Open the model in MDLVIS, move the mesh where you want it to be and then do the same with the nodes (bones, helper objects, etc.). Quite the same as above, very time-consuming and bothersome....

3) try using Geoset Translation, i think it was an Oinkerwinkle Tool. :wink:

out of the 3 i would choose the last one.

Level 21
Don't know who that is, but I hope you will. xD
Retera is the creator of the Matrix Eater.

I went ahead and asked him about this; he said that in order to modify the pivot points of attachments and patricles, you must select them individually and separately while the "Only show parents of active geosets" box is toggled to the OFF state. Otherwise they will not be shown, will not be selected, and will not be modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.