• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Movement Sustem/Turn Based

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Im making a movements system similar to that in advanced wars for the gameboy advance.

>> advance wars movement

Im using circle of powers to represent moveable squares. for some reason they dont place properly. ive tried a few different things but cant get them to work

the seccond problem im having is you can still move the units in the traditional fashion, i would like to disable this, but again, cannot figure out how.

and lastly, a turn system, i have no idea where to start on this, ide like to have it similar to the regular in game warcraft 3 menu. and again, similar to that of advance wars.

the map below is what ive got so far, granted it isnt much its all i can get to work properly. just ignore the terrain generation, thats a separate part of the game that i have yet to finish.

thanks ahead of time for any help, it is much appreciated.

Attachments

• testv1.w3x
    17.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Level 5
I figured it had some major problem, I'm not too pro in the triggers aera

It'll be multi, 4 max.

Player 2 is just the one I picked for now, it will be player 12 or something for circles once I get it all hammered out

Level 5
i dont think you get notifications on edits, thus the reason for no response. sorry for double posting, but.. bump :)

also. any easier way to do the regions for the environment gen?

Level 37
I triggered it a bit.

I made it so that the Circles of Power are unit ith Ghost ability, hich make them hidden. The player who has has the turn gets True Sight which shows hidden units. That way only the player whos turn it is can see the units.

I also created a script that generates the regions automatically.

I'll post the map later.

Level 5
does this fix the problem with the circles spawning on top of each other?

and i thank you very much for the region spawn, theyre 4x bigger than they will be in the final project.. so i had another 300 regions to make..

Level 37
As promised, here's the map.

I create regions automatically with the Init trigger. The "squares" (Circle of Powers) are also created automatically. If there is something blocking the square like a tree, nothing will be created since units can't move there.

You just have to define the first square, upper left corner of the map. There's a region called 1, look how it is positioned. Then define the width and height of the playing area. How many 128x128 squares there are. Set the variables Columns (width) and Rows (height) in the Initialization trigger. In the test map everything is already set.

Select the footman and try to move it around. Click one of the circles of power to move. Select the unit again to get new set of locations to move to.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=un8wjb

Level 5
thanks a lot! i have to look and figure out what you did so i myself know, but thank you very much maker.

Level 5
Ok, i hate to be a bother. but this wont work, or rather, i cant figure out how to make it work.. can you perhaps just make a simple movement system that doesnt rely on regions?

i just want it to make a CoP Grid that i can easily edit, gui isnt a problem, but any jass and im very confused.

ive decided to toss out the random terrain generation for now, seeing as it clashes so hard with the map youve given me. ill figure it out once i have a more light weight movement system....

so all in all, im requesting a super light weight gui movement system with a CoP movement grid.

Level 37
What part are you having problems with? I won't be making a GUI version since that would be more cumbersome.

You don't have to understan the Jass part since the movement system is in GUI.

The grid system is already CnP, it creates a region on every 128x128 square on the map if the square is walkable. Each region is stored into the global region array.

It seems that I'd have to separate the region and circle of power creations if you want to do random terrain.

First run region creation, the create random doodads and stuff at random regions. Only the create the circle of powers.

I'll see if I can make it even easier to use.

Level 5
i took my already made environment gen trigger i had made and tried to tweak it to make it work. it never did

i also couldnt figure out how to make the triggers work if i re-sized the map.

and lastly, it would load, then occasionally, just close wc3 for no visible reason.

im going to give up on random enviorments, but im going to add random creep type spawns.

i guess all i need is to learn how your movement system works so i can tweak it according to unit movement ranges(most of the units can move different ranges)

ps.. does your trigger make the CoP's in the center of the medium (white) grid squares, or according to the units position?

sorry for being a pain.

Last edited:
Level 37
Now you don't have to use a region for the top left corner, it is automatically detected. You don't have to set rows/columns, they are automatically calculated.

There are triggers for adding a unit, adding a random unit, adding a destructible, adding random destructible. There's a function to fill the map with random destructibles.

Different unit types can move different amount.

I can add unit turn queue next.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=65g7co

ps.. does your trigger make the CoP's in the center of the medium (white) grid squares, or according to the units position?

Center of white grids.

Level 5
a few problems, firstly, units and CoP can spawn in water, and when the map is resized, the CoP's for north and south directions dont spawn correctly. ill look at it more once im off work. thanks still for everything

Attachments

• problems.w3x
    26.8 KB · Views: 76
Level 5
works great, the movement system is actually done (i think... for now..)

thank you so much maker! ide give you more rep if i could, but i will not let me.

if youre free to continue to help me ide much appreciate it, but if you'd rather not feel free to say so, youve already done so much.

now ive got to iron out the combat system.. im fairly new to the hive, is there a specific place i could post this or should i continue adding new topics for specific parts i need help for?

i may have spoke too soon. with actual terrain in place, the circles tend to float and become harder to click.

and can you write me a little how to on how to enable combat?

thanks again...

Attachments

• movementneedsfix.w3x
    46 KB · Views: 114
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
They're still floating.. they seem to all float at the same level now.. ill fiddle with it and see whatworks..

thanks much... now off to terraining and setting up a combat trigger.. be prepared to fix the franken trigger I fumble together ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.