• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] More Tiles/Change Tile Pathability?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Came back after a long break and it seems NewGen is now defunct and will understandably not work with Blizzard's recent updates. Is there another editor that allows you to add more then 16 tiles and/or allows modification of tile path-ability like NewGen did?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
No editor has ever allowed you to add more than 16 tiles. Warcraft III is incapable of handling more. This limit includes the 2 tiles you are forced to use by the 2 cliff types so that only leaves an option of 14 tiles to choose from. This is because tile type is stored in 4 bits so tiles 17 and more cause it to overflow wrap around.

Level 3
Dropping in here, as I've a similar question and an addition to add
unknown.png

Such has definitely been possible at one point, this was done with JNGP (Jass Newgen pack/editor) it had a specific function to add more tiles than normal, how it does this exactly is beyond me but it saves the map after selection through it's own menu, implying it having to save the tile data in it's own way to surpass the limit, however, JNGP is a tad out of date so if you want to use this trick in newer maps, make the map, grab the tiles you want, save, then use a newer editor, as long as you never try to edit the tileset again, it will keep all of your fancy tiles.

But trying to open the newer maps in old JNGP doesn't seem to agree well, so beware, so I too look forward to when say, sharpcrafts gets this.

Per Example of the menu and tiles
unknown (1).png

You can do this
unknown (2).png

I realize my post is slightly redundant, but you can do what I did and make your tile selection here first and use newer editors to do the rest, moreover, you can be snarky and use only grass/buildable tiles and override their textures with whatever you want later and have a fully pathable map.

Last edited:
Level 5
Mmm I see, thanks for the info, I shall keep an eye on WEX if it gets added. Poster above me covered what I had to say about the tile limit thing.

EDIT: This isn't related to my question, but it is related to tiles. Why does Blizzard's editor not allow more tiles, yet WC3 has, as far as I am aware, zero issue with playing maps with more, heck even Blizzard's own editor will save maps with extra tiles if it was opened with them.

Level 3
Were I to guess it's probably the same reason the game didn't start with 480 x 480 maps and the Bnet limit was 5 mb's so on and so forth, pushing the limits that hard at release would likely be hard to run, it's easy to forget how old the game is, even if the community continuously pumps it with life.

Level 5
Were I to guess it's probably the same reason the game didn't start with 480 x 480 maps and the Bnet limit was 5 mb's so on and so forth, pushing the limits that hard at release would likely be hard to run, it's easy to forget how old the game is, even if the community continuously pumps it with life.

Hmm... interesting, it is easy to forget that kind of stuff. Kind of funny, you would think the tile limit would of been lifted (or expanded) recently with the recent changes Blizzard made (map size, 24 players, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.