• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Monsoon Isle

Reactions: StoPCampinGn00b
Hello!
Monsoon Isle is a 6 player melee map, another contribution to WTii's wc3 youtube channel.

Description:
This sinking island was once a busy trading hub for merchants in search of a good deal,a warm meal and a spoiled lusty woman. This all ended when a monsoon brought rains that keep pouring to this day. Still, the region is a prime target for bounty hunters!

Features:

- 6 players, map made for 3v3, works good in FFA as well
- 8 expansion mines
- 16 green creep camps
- 16 orange creep camps
- 3 red creep camps
- 2 goblin merchant shops
- 4 mercenary camps
- 2 goblin labs
- 1 fountain of life in the center
- difficult and diverse creeps, teamwork is recommended for some of the orange caps as well (you get to fight a lot of murlocs and some naga :) )
- wide open map

Have fun!

Update 1* - switched green naga camps and sea giant camps to easier mobs
Contents

Monsoon Isle (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet19:31, 31st August 2013 Map Approved Monsoon Isle (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet19:31, 31st August 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
Monsoon Isle (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Creep difficulty is fair made as well on those neutral buildings, although the item drops needs to be more polished especially the Murloc hut with the hidden lumber item in it, do please remove it, it will unbalance the scale of the game."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain needs more work, I mean the whole map doesn't look like an isle at all it more resembles a hidden rice fields on some deep watery region, I suggest you give it a jungle or oceanic feel, the idea of human buildings and river rushes just distorts the terrain."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Overall map can be useful."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
8/1577%C

Level 32
Monsoon Isle

A uniquely styled melee map created by kenny77

Gameplay: 6/10
Terrain: 6/10
Environment: 5/10
Balance: 7/10
Mistakes/Faulty things: 4/10
Description: 8/10

Gameplay: Blizzard's gameplay works -okay- in this map, but it is very wide open, most melee maps should consist of paths, that's what makes it entertaining (chokepoints, flanks, etc). I played human and you can't rush with militia easily, even in FFA. I also suppose air units would be very OP in this map since You can fly behind bases. I thought siege units would be very valuable, but there is an average wall of trees to stall my mortar teams. But, do not make the only separation inside the map (not the edges) just trees, anything that attacks trees can go for a cheap shot on town halls. Maybe it won't hurt to add cliffs above mainland, or you can make small rock hills.

Terrain: Simply put, I didn't like it. I see you put a lot of work on it. You mix the tiles a lot, but there is too much water. Tiles in the water make you think, "huh, would this environment really look like this in the water?" The use of no ramps sinking in the water, was not bad. It wasn't sharp, the edges were smooth.

The layout is not creative, and as I mentioned in the gameplay category, it is too wide open, which also means units can get surrounded VERY easily.

Environment: I appreciate that you have many doodads in the map, but most of them are scattered shrub like doodads, rocks, and parts of structures. Try to make a 'man made' formation, like pillars mixed with rocks with shrubs with mushrooms growing around it. The scattered destroyed buildings look ugly. Don't make to many passive buildings like the murloc huts.

Balance: Balanced in 3v3 just by judging by the layout, but a little imbalanced in FFA. Night elves do get to have the upper hand in turtle bases since the only 'walls' in the base are trees.

Mistakes/Faulty Things: Creeps are way to hard, do not spam creeps. Many of the camps are near the open. They should be enclosed, more preferably in a U shape.

Red camps should have less than 5 units most of the time, not a lot of weak creeps mixed in with strong creeps. They really don't match with the environment, Lordaeron would not have hydras roaming there lands.

Creep drops, are up and down. Orange camps give me easy tomes, along side with ankhs of reincarnations with and invulnerability item. Make it so green creep camps drop only 1 item, and orange 1, and red 1 or 2.

Description: Please add screenshots, good job in including the neutral buildings, camps, and other amount of stuff, many people forget about them.

3/5 average score, voting for pending.

Last notes: The map is definitely not blizzard style, but it's not a bad thing. Just fix the environment, and the creeps.
Here are the rules when submitting maps Map Submission Rules
Here are the rules when submitting anything General Resource Rules
+rep to Kenny77

Review by SCN

Last edited:
Level 3
hey thanks for taking the time to give such an elaborate review.

I agree with most of the things you've pointed out and would only like to mention that this map was made on demand, meaning WTii, the guy whom I made it for wanted a large, open map. So the corridors and twisting paths that are all so present on all my other maps are meant to be missing on this one.

The "ugly"-too much water- theme is also, well, part of the theme: a sinking island and neverending rain.
Yeah creeps are a bit rough but adapted to the strange bunch that he's playing with :p

Again, thanks for playing it and not just rating it after a look in the editor or at some screenshots.

ps. screenshots for melee maps are really irrelevant so I won't bother, as it wasn't mandatory for my other maps either. What I will do is upload a video of how this map is played by WTii when(if) he'll get around to do it :)

Level 3
uhm I've been editing the map and playtesting it for a while now, so I'm not rushing it :p

I did test what you said about militia creeping the sea giant camps and it was very tricky, the stomp would cause at least 2 peasants being slaughtered which is really bad at the start of the game.

So i switched those camps with easier mobs and the 2 naga myrmidons with easier ones as well.

As for the aesthetical part, I don't plan on editing anything unless someone points out a major flaw; I quite like the way it turned out so it's just a matter of prefferance i guess?

Again, thanks for the useful tips, the map should be more enjoyable now :D

Last edited:
Level 32
Okay, a fraction of my review is preference, but influenced by blizzard maps. But, what I meant is, there is too much flat shallow water in the map. Sinking water shouldn't be flat, unless before the land was mostly really flat. You should add some variation to the shallow water.

Level 13
Comment

Very neat map, but please fix description, add some screenshots.

Terrain

Tarrain is very creative, neat template.

Gameplay

A regular melee map.

Final Rating:

Terrain:5/5
Gameplay:4/5
Comment:3/5

FINAL RATING:
4/5

Suggestions
-No suggestions

GIFT

1/5=no rep
2/5=no rep
3/5=no rep
4/5=no rep
5/5=1 rep

Rating 4/5=no rep

Vote for: Approval

Level 7
Yup we played this map in GBR and had a good time, it was popular & fun. The environment is great and the spacing overall is well done. On the flip side I disliked the top/bottom creep camp for personal reasons but understand why they are tough as it's a team effort. Also some of the trees are a little clumped up amongst the creeps. Otherwise good job!

I give it a 4/5 as this map did make me mad.

You can find the games where we played this map 38 minutes into the following video: