• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] Monolith, the Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey guys. I've been working on a little project based on Blizzard's Monolith map. Unlike the other edited versions of this particular map, I intend to focus on the features which make Monolith fun: The creep forces! I know I'm editing a map Blizzard made, but I love it to bits and I wanted to expand on it.

Essentially, the main idea behind what I am doing is adding new AI variants into the mix. These variants will employ new tactics, structures and heroes into the standard rotation of creep forces for a more varied (and challenging) experience. I have currently created 3 new AIs for the Creeps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Transcended Furbolgs AI

This AI variant primarily produces Furbolg Shamen and Champions. It also utilises a new hero called the Furbolg Transcended.

The Furbolg Transcended is a support hero which focuses on mitigating damage, healing and disabling its opponents.

Furbolg Transcended Info

Abilities: Heal, Banish, Mana Burn, Tranquility
Hero Names: Confucius, Plato and Aristotle
Unit Description: The student of another school of thought, the Furbolg Transcended partially dwells in another plane of existence entirely. - "Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom."
Misc. Notes: Has a magical attack which allows it to attack banished units. Heal is a custom ability based on the unit ability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hellraiser Satyrs AI

Focuses on swarming tricksters and a few soulstealers. Focuses on skeleton production. Utilises a hero called the Satyr Cenobite.

The Satyr Cenobite is a hero which focuses on disabling individual targets and generating summoned units.

Satyr Cenobite Info

Abilities: Mutilate, Black Arrow, Shadow Strike, Doom
Hero Names: Pinhead, Butterball, Chatterer
Unit Description: Hailing from a farflung region of the underworld, the Cenobite inspires fear and repulsion whenever it goes. - "We will tear your soul apart."
Misc. Notes: Mutilate is a custom ability based on Cripple. Functions in much the same way.

Facehugger Spiders AI

Skips smaller spiders completely. Only produces spitting spiders and giant spiders. Uses a new hero called the Facehugger.

The Facehugger is a hero which focuses on draining life, lowering enemy defences and throwing around parasites.

Facehugger Info

Abilities: Drain Life, Parasite, Acid Bomb, Locust Swarm
Hero Names: Dallas, Kane, Lambert
Unit Description: A highly insidious and dangerous predator, the Facehugger has been known to spread its brood like wildfire. - "I haven't seen anything like that except, uh, molecular acid."
Misc. Notes: Parasite is a custom ability which functions much the same as the unit ability. Produces spiders when the unit dies.

More AIs to come.

Nexuses

All these new AIs utilise a new building called a Monolith Nexus.

A Monolith Nexus is essentially a gamble. It costs 4 lumber and the new AIs will build it before they build any Monolith Shards. A nexus provides an additional layer of regenerative monolithic energies, and slowly produces lumber over time. It's a risk in that the structure can be destroyed and the creep player won't be able to regain the lumber spent. Each creep player can only have one nexus built at any given time.

Future/Undecided Ideas

- Custom non-hero creep units to cover weaknesses in certain creep factions
- More complex tech trees for creeps, including upgrades and different unit tiers
- Additional AI variants, more hero variants for creep factions
- Complete map redesign
- Additional creep factions from other tilesets

That about sums it up. Your thoughts/opinions?

Attachments

• (4)Monolith, the Return.w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.