• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Monolith Custom Map Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Can someone explain how i can change the Map description on Monolith?
Somehow, i can't change any text form of the normal Monolith map. No custom units name, no map description, no name, no text message triggers, nothing. Some say it may be because the map is old and it doesn't synergy with new Reforged but i see some Monolith Custom Maps have custom descriptions and so on. Please any idea?
I have Germany English Reforged Version and also tried switching on English Keyboard. Nothing works. Guess its my German Game version then? What do you think?:thumbs_up:

Level 21
Aren't original maps restored to their default settings due to file integrity?
Well i can change the map however i want, not too sure what's going on.
I attached the original map from the most recent patch:

Attachments

• (4)monolith.w3x
    294.4 KB · Views: 44
Level 4
Are you trying to alter the original or a copy?
Blizzard might have added some writing-protection to their original maps or something.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Exactly, this is what it feels like. No change in text form can be applied at all. It wonders me because i see other custom Monolith maps where they edited the flavor text. Do you have any idea how to overcome this writing-protection? I asked at some Monolith custom maps but haven't recived an answer yet.

Edit: Yes i am trying to alter the original scenario map Monolith.
To clarify, it is not applying any text edit in any kind of form.
Examples:
-Change names of abilities, units, descriptions or the map on its own.
-Adding text message triggers for some side objectives and events i did.
-Even inside the loading screen, you can't write something else however i can change the loading screen image.

Seems to be the writing protection then but don't you find it weird because the Monolith map is made to inspire editors to try out the editor in the first place. The Monolith map is full of comments and hints that guide you through the triggers, how they function and how to create your own.
And again, there are dozens of edited Monolith maps that have edited texts. The speculation with some guys in the discord was, that the map is too old but this all makes no sense taking these newer edits into consideration.

Last edited:
Level 4
Blizzard never added anything like that IIRC. If the one coming with Warcraft gives headache, try the one @A]mun provided. @urachi
Thanks but the thing is that i already completed the whole edit of the map. I told myself to let these text edits go and keep on without them. At least the audio works so i was able to create some sound triggers that give the immersion i wanted.

Level 4
So i dont get why they bugged the already existing untouched Monolith version in my folder with the reforged release. Another big spit in the face from blizzard. Anyways, the map is great without any text changes at all. A little sacrifice for the greater goal. Thanks anyways

Level 4
I am guessing it is pulling the text from localization files. Use MPQEdit to check if it any of the map files are localised. Otherwise check the Warcraft III CASC in case it is somehow pulling localisation data from there.
Thank you very much for your reply.
How can i check inside the MPQ Editor if the map files are localized or not. And how do i check the Wc3 CASC.

Level 29
How can i check inside the MPQ Editor if the map files are localized or not. And how do i check the Wc3 CASC.
You don't need relying the CASC because any custom maps (non-Blizzard) are made using MPQ.
All localized files (non-English) are saved in the unique folder called "_Locales" as long as you have 1.31+ or even Reforged:

MPQ Locales.jpg

When you open one of those files, you'll see a single "war3map.wts" file. It might be differ depending on the in-game languages.
If you don't know about MPQ and CASC, you should read this article below:
Extracting game files (MPQ and CASC)

Level 4
Thank you all very much for the reply.
I opened my edited version with the MPQ edit now and there files are there. Just like in the screenshot from Ravager.
war3map.wts was inside the deDE folder.

So is there a chance to change this on my already largely edited map? So i can add and change texts in any kind of form on my map.

Level 4
As mentioned above, try deleting them. Take the one from the locale you plan to use and place that in the map root so it becomes the main locale.
Thanks a lot. I will try this now.
Delete all whats shown in Ravagers screenshot? So the complete _Locales folder?
Or copying the _Locale folder from the Monolith Version that is working fine and pasting it in my edited version while deleting the old ones on my map?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Delete all whats shown in Ravagers screenshot? So the complete _Locales folder?
Yes after moving the one you want to use to your map root, delete all the _Locales so the map is no longer localised and hopefully starts acting like a normal map.

If you delete all the locales without moving the one you want to use to root then all custom text will be missing.

Level 4
Yes after moving the one you want to use to your map root, delete all the _Locales so the map is no longer localised and hopefully starts acting like a normal map.

If you delete all the locales without moving the one you want to use to root then all custom text will be missing.
Okay here is what i did:
I tested it on a copy of my edited version.
I opened this copy on the MPQ editor and deleted the locales folder. Then closed the MPQ editor
Now i went to the world editor again and changed the Map name shown in the loading screen. Clicked test map
But now it just showed the classic Monolith text in English. So it changed from German to English.

I dont quite understand the moving or rooting of the map. I am missing something

Thanks in advance

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Check if other text changes work or not. Check if for some reason it is making new locale folders.

I think there used to be a war3map.wts in the map archive root (the most upper tier of the file system). For user made custom maps this contained all the custom text they used. For Blizzard maps they localised these files. Hence you should be able to select one of the localised files and then move it into the root before deleting all the localised files to make that the maps only locale which should be easily editable.

Status
Not open for further replies.