• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Modify Lightning Opaque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I know how to add and edit lightning with the default .slk however I keep running into the problem that the default lightning uses the additive material filter.

What I need is to change this into alpha transparent instead.
I'm attempting to mimic hooking cables to things via lightning models however the default model only seems fitting for ugly glowey things.

Does anybody know if there is ANY way to modify how lightning is rendered ?
Doesn't matter even if it overrides all other lightning modes.

If this is not possible does anybody have any alternative ?
A custom ribbon emitter perhaps ?

Last edited:
Level 23
Not possible to change from additive filter as far as I know.
So, you can't have a black lightning, because if wc3 allows it, I would have used it in here
But if you use other colors, it may get fully opaque as shown in that link.

You can try using a straight line/rope model as an alternative but I didn't tried it yet, just an idea. The key is to change the facing angle and the scaling to mimic the lightning link.
The problem is, I'm not sure if it will always be rendered.

Level 17
Hmm, yeah.
I tried it out with a ribbon emitter but the problem is that the emission of ribbon emitters can't be animated.
So although I can make an opaque cable I will be left with ribbons that keep emitting and not going away which I think would not be particularly efficient lol.

I think what I will make is an animated cable that has an animation of it stretching that will be slowed down to 0% depending on the distance in between the two "hooked up" units.
I'll even be able to make it look a little fancy and more cable-like at least.
Hoping that solution won't have quirks of its own.

Thanks for the reply !

Status
Not open for further replies.