• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Models/Textures w/ no path name

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Hi all.

I've downloaded some sick looking models from the http://wc3-maps.ru/ site. I want to use them, however like 90% of them didn't include path names for the models so when I import them they don't work.

Does anyone have any idea how to find out the path names or make them work? Because I've seen similar (or same) models being put in other maps but they cannot be found here in the hive.

Even though the site is mostly in russian, I did give it a try to search for an answer through their forums only to not find anything relating to the problem of authors not including path file names.

Level 20
Models don't require changing the path (.mdx files), only textures do (.blp). (Unless you're replacing a model).

So if you're importing a skin, you can look up the unit, whose skin you're changing, texture path with Warcraft3Viewer or Wc3 Image Extractor (I think those are the names).

If you're importing models that have textures with them (model won't work if you don't set its texture path properly), you can open the model with model editor and see what textures it is using and their paths. If you're using Magos model editor, you can find this in Windows tab, Textures option.

Level 15
What does not work ? :
1- Does the model appear as 'Green box'?
2- Does the model not have any skin/texture ? Does it seem black ?
3- Is it even read ?

First Issue, you must have set the unit's model path wrong, you could have randomly written 24I29492485.mdl in it.

Second issue, if it appears black, then the texture is broken. It might either have a wrong path, or you changed its name.

For example, we have a model of Goku, and its texture is Goku.blp.
Goku.mdx is made so its texture is Goku.blp, if you change its name after importing, then it'd be a big mess.

Also you might have to set the texture using Wc3 Model Editor by Magos, it sets textures to materials ... etc ( There are some tutorials including this )

Third issue, it might be a broken model , don't use it, it might crash too.

=== Conclusion === :
- You can change the name of MDX files, it doesn't matter.
- You should NOT change blp's name/path. If you download model in a compressed file (RAR/ZIP), and you find textures inside a folder called Texture, then after you import the blp file, change its path to Texture/'yourblp'.blp
- You can set/change the texture via Magos' Model-Editor.
- You can post your models here to fix them if you have not achieved any thing.
=== Good luck Felah! ===

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

What does not work ? :
1- Does the model appear as 'Green box'?
2- Does the model not have any skin/texture ? Does it seem black ?
3- Is it even read ?

First Issue, you must have set the unit's model path wrong, you could have randomly written 24I29492485.mdl in it.

Second issue, if it appears black, then the texture is broken. It might either have a wrong path, or you changed its name.

For example, we have a model of Goku, and its texture is Goku.blp.
Goku.mdx is made so its texture is Goku.blp, if you change its name after importing, then it'd be a big mess.

Also you might have to set the texture using Wc3 Model Editor by Magos, it sets textures to materials ... etc ( There are some tutorials including this )

Third issue, it might be a broken model , don't use it, it might crash too.

=== Conclusion === :
- You can change the name of MDX files, it doesn't matter.
- You should NOT change blp's name/path. If you download model in a compressed file (RAR/ZIP), and you find textures inside a folder called Texture, then after you import the blp file, change its path to Texture/'yourblp'.blp
- You can set/change the texture via Magos' Model-Editor.
- You can post your models here to fix them if you have not achieved any thing.
=== Good luck Felah! ===

Models don't require changing the path (.mdx files), only textures do (.blp). (Unless you're replacing a model).

So if you're importing a skin, you can look up the unit, whose skin you're changing, texture path with Warcraft3Viewer or Wc3 Image Extractor (I think those are the names).

If you're importing models that have textures with them (model won't work if you don't set its texture path properly), you can open the model with model editor and see what textures it is using and their paths. If you're using Magos model editor, you can find this in Windows tab, Textures option.

Well not to sound lazy, but opening models in other programs to see what the path names are isn't part of using the model. Author should of put some readme or some info on how to use the model.

But with that out of the picture, I do like the models and I want to use them so I'm willing to give it a try. Though I've not used Magos or WC3Viewer more than three or four times so it might be complicated for me.

Here is one model/texture I want to use and have tried with deleting all of the wacraft3import lines from the path name but it didn't work. It showed as green box in the editor and nothing in-game. It also said couldn't load blabla.mdl when you load the editor. See if you guys can figure it out:

View attachment 27655_FemalePaladin.rar

Just remove war3mapImported from the texture names.

See here:
attachment.php

(I had to use a hex editor since I'm on my mac atm)

• HumanFemaleBody.blp
  • HumanFemaleHair.blp
  • HumanFemaleCape.blp
  • Unnamed.blp
  • RAGNAROSHAMMER.BLP

Write them exactly under those paths when you import them, and it should work just fine (unless something is wrong with the model, I didn't check).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 5.21.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 5.21.22 AM.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 759

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Okay now it worked, thanks PurgeandFire. I must have missed some of the textures. But I cannot open the model in the editor, its still a green box. Because the model had a .mdx file also in the zip but the editor says "could not load file: PHF.mdl "

Status
Not open for further replies.