• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Models and skins moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there so much difference in quality standards between moderating models and skins?

For a model to be approved often only some geomerging and maybe a little uwv fix or make a simple model from scratch in 3 minutes are enough, while the skin must be perfect. Even when I see, wow, this skin is quite good, moderators and other people complain about lack of shading, highlighting and other nonsense. No minimal flaws allowed. When searching through the model section, you see a lot of different users, random noobs too (like khm...MasterHaosis, :cgrin:), while in skin sections the skins are made by more or less the same people, the ratio of creator/skin is very low, which means only very talented people can get their skin approved with many hours spent on their skin, while the model section is full of quickly made (which doesn't mean they suck) models. It's not that I mean that the models on this site are crappy, just the skin standards are very high. I agree that recolours and cnp are not allowed, however some better (but not perfect) freehand skin should be given a chance, dunno. And imo, in interface and tileset, cnp should be allowed, if very well made (usually are done from real photos with image manipulation).

Level 34
Not to cut the discussion and limit valid feedback, but the current status of this issue is the waiting of an admin to step in and say/do something.

Which is either highly unlikely or is to be ignored.

Skinning is obviously harder than modeling since you need to concentrate on contrast, shading etc.

There should probably be some dump section for unoriginal geomerge models, minor edited sfx (like recolor), and stuff that doesn't require nor time or creativity. I'm often very amassed with the stuff people would submit.

You could try searching the request forum if you want things like that. It's got some pretty useful stuff sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.