• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest - "Racial Siege Mechanisms"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Modeling Contest - "Racial Siege Mechanisms"

Tired of seeing catapults throwing rocks? Or even ballistas shooting large pointed sticks? Me too, it is the chance to shake your imaginations and creativity to give races new siege weapons that are unique, fantastic, and distinct for a specific race.

RULES:
- Contestants must pick a race.
- Contestants will then have to make a siege weapon for that picked race.
- The weapons must be fantastic not futuristic and modern warfare-ish.
- The weapons must either be sling(ed), lobbed, or even powered by projectile-mechanicms. In accordance to medieval and fantasy limits.
- Missiles must be provided.
- Magical missile and the siege weapon itself can be magical.
- Models can be floating or have wheels. Flying models are not applicable.
- Units throwing by hand are not applicable. Only mechanicals.

- If melee siege weapon, battering ram based are accepted but not drills (it is too modern), not pounder machines (modern), and must be fantastic too.

Some examples are here to divulge heavier details (Some examples drawn by mind to show what this contest is):

(1) Ancient Catapult (Ancients)
- A catapult made of stone, covered in grass and vines due to its ancient theme. It is known to have been stored in the barrow deeps and stony caves that served havens of the ancients. This colossal stone catapult might be slow and its wheel is not a perfect circle, it lobs huge boulders that instantly crushes an unlucky enemy into splatters.

(2) Poison Ballista (Satyr)
- A weird looking ballista covered in violet roots, creepy runes, and thorned wheels. This crazy looking version of elven ballistas had been sent out to play, firing bolts of poisonous missiles that does not only shatters buildings but leave curses or poison on its hit area. The satyrs had been engineering this siege weapons in purpose to corrupt an ancient easily.

(3) The Black Ladybug (Nerubian)
- Looks like a ladybug because of its shape same as the ladybug. This wheeled siege weapon acts ramming siege weapon of the nerubian race. Made from ironhides of nerubian gladiators and guards, forged in stone and steel, the beetle's head it possesses can pummel down an enemy building effectively. It really looks like a bug with an iron ram log inside, being swung into the target wall or structure.

(4) Murloc Catapult (Murlocs)
- Supported by seawood wheel and pushed by a giant murloc, hurls sunken rocks upon enemies. Its appearance seem that giant turtle shells and gigantic sea shells are used as armor embedding and plating of the siege weapon. Adorned by ornaments such as sea conch shells, starfishes, and even seaweeds crawled on it.

Examples only. Can be used too in the contest itself.

DISCLAIMER:
- Not hosted by me.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I think this is an excellent idea (broad enough for lots of creative space, specific enough to channel creativity, and ultimately very useful, especially to race makers like myself). I might change a few of the Criteria, but that's just me.

However once again you should be putting these into the modeling submission thread for one big giant poll

Level 6
I think this is an excellent idea (broad enough for lots of creative space, specific enough to channel creativity, and ultimately very useful, especially to race makers like myself). I might change a few of the Criteria, but that's just me.

However once again you should be putting these into the modeling submission thread for one big giant poll
Hmm... what change of criteria? I might add it to the thread if you wish so it expands the creative space larger :)

I don't think I have powers on commenting on those poll threads since I saw it to be locked as some of those, or I think a reviewer needs to see the threads before it gets inside the archives?

Level 18
Dude the main discussion thread for the next Modelling Contest is just below your last 3 suggestions; it was started by HappyCockroach on August 21, and anyone has the power to comment on it.

All theme suggestions for the next contest should go into that thread, for nowadays we are less active modelers in the hive and we need to focus all the attention in a single place. (not multiple threads). It's way easier and effective to gather all ideas in a single place, so more people can comment and suggest changes before the poll.

Many of your theme ideas sound fun, and I really like a couple of them (will vote for sure for 1 or 2 of your ideas). I suggest that gather all your theme suggestions and put them in the next modeling contest thread as one of more posts, then ask a moderator to archive the other threads you have created.

PS: just to avoid any miscommunicaton, the discussion thread for the next modeling contest is the following: Next Modeling Contest!.

Last edited:
Level 6
Dude the main discussion thread for the next Modelling Contest is just below your last 3 suggestions; it was started by HappyCockroach on August 21, and anyone has the power to comment on it.

All theme suggestions for the next contest should go into that thread, for nowadays we are less active modelers in the hive and we need to focus all the attention in a single place. (not multiple threads). It's way easier and effective to gather all ideas in a single place, so more people can comment and suggest changes before the poll.

Many of your theme ideas sound fun, and I really like a couple of them (will vote for sure for 1 or 2 of your ideas). I suggest that gather all your theme suggestions and put them in the next modeling contest thread as one of more posts, then ask a moderator to archive the other threads you have created.

PS: just to avoid any miscommunicaton, the discussion thread for the next modeling contest is the following: Next Modeling Contest!.
Thank you so much for the big and important information. Maybe I was way too lost in the section and I misplaced the ideas. So, if the threads I made must be compiled, how do I delete the thread and post them into thr proper place?
Should it be moved and for next ideas I submit will be done correctly :)

I'll save this post of yours as a guide. Really helpful and guiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.