• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling contest 24: THEME DECISION

Vote for a theme that YOU (as a modeler) would participate in for MC 24

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Fingolfin, I don't think that he ever factored that in to his decision. And I gues his reasoning behind it is that, since he wants a theme that people will participate in, people who have recently participated in competitions are more likely to participate. But like I said, I don't think that that factored into his decision.

Level 21
If you all want me to just make an executive decisions to override this tedious process
I think emotaphor is the best compromise.

DND/diablo fits the best into wc3, but it's also unimaginative and blah

steampunk and racecar can be really fun but dont really fit into wc3 that well

so... emotaphor can do both... you know, be fun, AND sort of fit into wc3, if that's what people want

Well that's what made his decision :p I personally like the Diablo/DnD theme, but emotaphor will be fun as well.

Level 26
I don't see however, why he would sort modelers how recently they participated, or if all, unless he had some intention of diminishing their votes.

You make me sad when you say these things because you havent been reading the thread.

The point of choosing a theme for the modeling contest, the goal... is to choose a theme, that the /most/ amount of people will participate in. So yes. I am "diminishing" certain people's votes because they are less likely to participate. Someone who has never made a model before, is very unlikely to participate in a modeling contest. Someone who models but has never participated in a modeling contest... isnt that likely to participate now, and on top of which, hasnt experienced working in a modeling contest before, and so wont know what theme would be the most practical for a contest. someone who has not participated in a contest in a significant time period.... like a year or two, is also rather unlikely to participate now. It's all about forming and breaking habits. I know i've fallen out of the habit of modeling for wc3 a bit, so its rather unlikely that ill participate.
and so on and so forth

They want a landslide victory for a theme, so they'll probably start with some kind of bullshit and choose emotaphor or something.
i presume "they" you refer to are the moderators. anarchian and me, i presume.

anarchian chose racecars and i chose dnd. why would we WANT to make emotaphor as a theme? in fact, one of the bread and butter for me in the chat lately is how sucky the majority of the emotaphor entry will be.

"Oh, everybody is talking about emotaphor, let's do that, despite something else winning in the polls, blablabla hurrhurr"
clearly you havent read any of anarchian's explanation. something else IS winning. but at a very very small margin. by a single vote. might as well be a 4 way tie.

anarchian merely thought it was wise to just choose emotaphor because that leaves room for the most personal interpretations. and he made the executive decision to break this, what essentially is, 4 way tie. he did this based on past experiences in participating, hosting and judging, based on seeing the past entries, the dramas the people have had with past themes and the vibe of the contestants.

Level 26
seinfeld.gif

no no pyra. i like this, i was waiting for this. I asked for everyone's opinion and mostly EVERYONE up until now seemed perfectly content with emotaphor.
I'm glad that t-revellion-t spoke up because now he can be the spokesperson, the voice, for the other side of this discussion.

Happycockroach, do not let your vote be swayed because you fear how 'others' will react. that is my job. i am trying to be the neutral mediator here, and that is why i have not made the contest thread yet, because we do not have a clear theme.

SO. do you want to go through the hassle of another theme poll? or do you want to start this contest quickly and just choose emotaphor.
The only reason i had suggested emotaphor was simply because it seemed to be the best compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.