• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 23: POLL

Vote for the best model!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26

the%20hive%20workshop.png

152290-albums921-picture56535.png

modeling.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
3.png
poll.png

3-TIER BUILDING

[r]
Contestants are asked to model a 3-tier building.
A structure that can be 'upgraded' a minimum of
2 times. This does not mean that it has 2 alternate
upgrades, the upgrades must be "tiered".

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
    • This includes, but is not limited to, using other people's work (partially or otherwise) without express permission
  • You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  • You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  • To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and a screenshot of the model.
  • You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  • You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
  • Your model must have these minimum animations:
    • Birth
    • Birth Upgrade First
    • Birth Upgrade Second
    • Death
    • Decay
    • Portrait
    • Stand
    • Stand Upgrade First
    • Stand Upgrade Second
      --OPTIONAL--
    • Death Upgrade First
    • Death Upgrade Second
    • Portrait Upgrade First
    • Portrait Upgrade Second
    • Stand Work
    • Stand Work First
    • Stand Work Second
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

The Judge's score shall be taken out of 100 points for the following categories

MESH
The geometry of the model, the wireframe that gives your model a physical form and silhouette. Does the shape look clean or deformed? Are all ends capped, are there any stray faces, etc?
The movement of your model. The animations give your model life, character, a personality. Are these animations smooth or choppy? Are they organic or cold and robotic, was this intended? Do the animations deform or clip parts of the mesh?
The skin, or texture of a model expresses many important aspects of the character. Is the texture well made; is it blurry, does it have a pleasant color scheme, does it have detail, etc? Or, if blizzard textures were used, how well was it wrapped? Are there parts that are clipped, misaligned or stretched?
The Overall concept of your model, it's essence. Is this a creative idea? Or, if the general idea has been used before, how has the creator 'made it his own'? What has he added to make it special, or different from the ones that have come before him?
Does this model work ingame, in all aspects of wc3? Is it visible when imported, is the texture pathname hard to import, are chunks of the mesh loose and flying around, is the texture the correct proportion, is the model a relatively manageable size (in kilobytes), do all the animations play properly ingame, do all the particles/ribbon emitters work, and so on. How well does this model fit in wc3? would it be useful in a map or would it look better in crysis 2?
The ol' "razzle-dazzle". Special effects add a factor of 'shock and awe'. Particle emitters, ribbon emitters, and sometimes geometry (such as shockwave planes or 3d-debris) are part of the animation process, but their implementation is less essential. However, good effects can greatly increase the quality of a model.
Final Score will be taken out of...

Judge's Score
Public Poll
60%40%

judges.png

- Mechanical Man -
- Anarchianbedlam -

prizes.png
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

1st

[50] reputation points and
your entry on an award icon
2st
[35] reputation points
and an award icon
3st
[20] reputation points
and an award icon

OPENS
CLOSES
MAY
05th
MAY
26th
You have 3 weeks, 21 days, or 504 hours
to vote for your favorite submission.

entries.png

Participant
Entry
Wandering Soul
Village-Town-City
Revilo & M0rbid
ProtossObelisk
Massivemaster
Medieval Castle
Eubz
Citadel
skrab
Human Garrison
Tirlititi
BlackTower
PROXY
PandarenTemple

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

RESULTS | CONTEST

Last edited:
Level 48
Voted for Skrab. His model looks like it would fit very well in-game, and I love the animations and details. A few flaws are that the black flags could use some teamcolor(they're very flat at the moment, with no shading at all), and that the Death and Decay animations aren't very... Death and Decay-ish. Perhaps it's just Magos bugging out, but the model doesn't seem to disappear at all, on any of them.

M0rbid's and Revilo's protoss building comes as a close second for me. The effects and animations are stunningly beautiful. I won't be surprised if it wins the contest.

Level 25
Voted for Skrab. His model looks like it would fit very well in-game, and I love the animations and details. A few flaws are that the black flags could use some teamcolor(they're very flat at the moment, with no shading at all), and that the Death and Decay animations aren't very... Death and Decay-ish. Perhaps it's just Magos bugging out, but the model doesn't seem to disappear at all, on any of them.

Finally someone made a comment.
@Deolrin, Thanks. I changed flag texture and made it team colored. The Death and Decay look good to me, since I'm really bad at particle emitters, at Death it blows up fine in game and at Decay the rubble actually disappears at the same time as other Warcraft 3 buildings. I put the tower and that front part visible throughout the Decay animation and I like it so. All in game buildings have that rubble mesh.
I also animated the lamps around the building and fixed the visibility tags.
Model.

As usual I am posting my 3Ds max 5 file so everyone can edit the model.
Special thanks to my cousin for making the concept art.

Attachments

• Human Garrison.max
    914 KB · Views: 98
  • Human Garison (3).jpg
    Human Garison (3).jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Human Garison.jpg
    Human Garison.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 227
  • lvl 2 & 3.jpg
    lvl 2 & 3.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
I voted for Wandering Soul's "Village-Town-City" as I really like the idea/feeling of it, also it could be a bit more detailed. But the build anims are funny with that flying around hammer.^^

My second vote would go to PROXY's "PandarenTemple". Great mesh, especially the third tier with that dragon looks nice. Just too bad the model has no real death + decay animations. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.