• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #19 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
9.png

results.png

Handsome_Squidward.jpg

Contest Theme: Water Units

Contestants were to create a water unit. A model that is primarily found in the water. Be creative and have fun

entries.png

contest%20judging.png

PyramidHe@d's Floating Rock

Mesh:

Good enough. Nothing really pops out though. I like it.

9/15

Animations:

Meh. Kind bland. Definitely lives up to the model's name! But, what you did with the back and the spell anim is nice. Not much you can do to a boat to make it look lively in the end. The death anim though...lord...

6/10

Texture:

WHAT? NO CUSTOM? FFFFFFFFF-

You know how much I hate the steamtank texture. Lions look good though. Even though you used too many. You used so many, you should take PRIDE in this model. Get it...? uh...yeah...sorry.

6/10

Mechanics:

Works. Nothing special.

4/5

Effects:

FU. THAT...BLOODY...DEATH ANIM....

Atleast you added some this time. :D

2/5

Creativity:

Yay wooden boat with cannons and lions with a base wider than the top. Definitely haven't seen that before! "Cough" battleship model "cough"

2/5

TOTAL: 29

The Weird Human's German Diver

Mesh:

PROPORTIONS MAN. YOU NEED THEM. THOSE DAMN FEET ARE ...SO...DAMN...BIG

Everything is out of wack proportionally. It destroys the model.

The model is so disproportional, you could almost say it looks like a really weird human! See what I did there?

3/15

Animations:

I don't like wc3 anims, or using them on your model, but I especially don't like it when you don't even use them right.

I mean, look at the walk anim. It looks like a gay gangster.

2/10

Texture:

VERY blurry. Rather bad wrap. The UVW scale is all over the place. Lot's of stretching.

2/10

Mechanics:

The awkward anims just amplify the collective silliness when you see them ingame working with all the normal systems.

2/5

Effects:

HOHOHO THATS RICH. Mix bad water particles, with the general lack of particles anywhere else, and what do you get? A DISGRACE TO GERMAN ENGINEERING.

1/5

Creativity:

Kudos for not making something wc3 related. As far as the actual concept, well its not really a concept being based in real life. But, it's not something I would have thought to make, so that's good.

4/5

TOTAL: 14

DonDustin's Riderless Hippocampus

MESH:

Everything above the tail looks good enough. The tail on the other hand, looks awkward. I know what you were going for, but you just didn't quite nail it. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

8/15

Animations:

If ever the word awkward applied, now is the time! They are jerky and overall look really strange.

4/10

Texture:

As complex and albeit hard to make as the wrap was, it has the same problem a lot of your models have. Your working with blizzard's textures. So no matter how good you wrap it, its gonna look bad. Also, you need to work on blending.

2/10

Mechanics:

Well the walk anim looks good when used, but everything else sort of collapses because of the other anims being jerky.

2/5

Effects:

Good enough I guess. I don't like that water though.

3/5

Creativity:

I really like the idea. The mask thing really is cool. BUT, you didn't add a rider! Unfortunately, that destroys the entire concept since you have a seat there. Really kinda sad. D;

1/5

TOTAL: 20

Archy's shit

Mesh:

Why did you not make it all one piece? The head and body that is.

Ugh... NEEDS MORE POLIES. Yet at the same time, TOO MANY TEETH POLIES.

4/15

Animations:

Well they are definitely correct to the original cartoon. Too bad the cartoon animations suck. Smoothing would be nice too.

1/10

Texture:

BAD SMOOTHING IS BAD. Also what? No blending?

2/10

Mechanics:

The walk anim makes up for some of the more awkward stuff the other anims generate.

3/5

Effects:

You are the one person who actually did the walk particles right. Congrats.

5/5

Creativity:

I wouldn't have made it. But, I also wouldn't have made shit if the theme was "brown units". :D

3/5

TOTAL: 18

Debode's Ramming Galley

Mesh:

I don't like how you basically made it as simple as possible. I don't think that works for boats. I don't understand how the oars are supposed to move, and the shape of the actual ships is odd. I know you were going for aom, but honestly the aom one was bad as well.

7/15

Animations:

THE OARS...JUST...DONT....MOVE! Well atleast not much anyway. Kinda boring. Choosing a ship was a bad idea.

4/10

Texture:

I don't like wc3 textures. They don't look very good here either. But, the wrap is cool so thats good.

5/10

Mechanics:

The walk looks REALLY weird at normal speeds. Slow oars and all.

2/5

Effects:

PEOPLE. STOP MAKING WATER WALK PARTICLES LIKE THAT. Need to be more dramatic! Also the death particles would not behave like that in real life. The water is not a volcano.

1/5

Creativity:

I'm glad to see its not wc3 related. Thats good. The alternate version idea was cool too. But, ofc, its still just a model from another game.

4/5

Total: 23

PyramidHe@d
15/15 – Mesh
The mesh is efficient, with no wasted polygons.
09/10 – Animation
Simple animations, but that’s to be expected.
10/10 – Skin/Texture
In-game textures are applied properly, with no visible stretches. Good all around.
03/05 – Mechanics
The model lacks Attachment Points, which might be problematic in-game.
05/05 – Effects
Few effects, but they serve their purpose.
05/05 – Creativity
Full score here, probably the first ship I actually like.

The Weird Human
13/15 – Mesh
Mesh is efficient, but a bit poly-heavy. Also, some elements won’t be visible in-game, like the chain.
08/10 – Animation
In-game animations, but they work pretty well.
09/10 – Skin/Texture
Textures are many and far-in-between, but they work together well. Some are a bit blurry, probably due to being small areas on the texture itself.
05/05 – Mechanics
Functions properly in-game.
03/05 – Effects
None that I’m aware of, though whether it needs any is debateable.
04/05 – Creativity
It’s a good idea, but nothing really astonishing.

DonDustin
13/15 – Mesh
The mesh is a bit too high-poly. Some areas could’ve been done with less polies.
08/10 – Animation
The animations are choppy and robotic.
10/10 – Skin/Texture
Great usage of in-game textures.
04/05 – Mechanics
The model rises above the water’s surface on some animations far too much. It makes it a bit unrealistic.
03/05 – Effects
None that I’m aware of, apart from water rings.
05/05 – Creativity
Pretty awesome idea, and certainly not what I expected of a hippocampus.

Anarchianbedlam
09/15 – Mesh
The different elements aren’t attached to the body. The mesh is lazy, since attaching everything is certainly doable.
06/10 – Animation
The animations are both unrealistic and choppy. Attack is unconvincing.
10/10 – Skin/Texture
Good usage of in-game textures, no visible stretching.
03/05 – Mechanics
No attachment points.
03/05 – Effects
There are none, beyond water effects.
02/05 – Creativity
Uhm… It’s a carbon copy of something else, something which doesn’t fit in any way in Wc3, either.

Debode
15/15 – Mesh
Mesh is simple, but serves its purpose well.
08/10 – Animation
Some animations, like Walk, could’ve used a bit more movement.
10/10 – Skin/Texture
In-game textures are used well here.
05/05 – Mechanics
It’s simple, yet useable in-game and fits.
03/05 – Effects
It has none.
03/05 – Creativity
It’s a carbon copy of something, but that something fits well enough in-game.

((Mr. Bob's judging + Dionesiist's judging) * 0.6) + ((Votes / Total votes) * 40) = Total

Pyramidhe@d: ((29 + 47) * 0.6) + ((28 / 176) * 40) = 51.9636364
The Weird Human: ((14 + 42) * 0.6) + ((40 / 176) * 40) = 42.6909091
DonDustin: ((20 + 43) * 0.6) + ((70 / 176) * 40) = 53.7090909
anarchianbedlam: ((18 + 33) * 0.6) + ((19 / 176) * 40) = 34.9181818
Debode: ((23 + 44) * 0.6) + ((19 / 176) * 40) = 44.5181818

modeling%2019%20winners.png

4th - The Weird Human
5th - anarchianbedlam

Poll | Contest

sorry Bob but it seems to me that you gave the creativity rating quite too randomly...

being related to wc3 or not, having rider or not, creativity doesn't mean "hide your references", even because this can't be rated, as we don't know everything out there.
it should be exclusively related to concept consistency and cleverness (even if the model uses existing concepts combined - save exceptions when the model is just an ordinary copy from something else)

well... wtf am I saying... :)

Level 15
Hmmm, I think Mr. Bob was a bit unfair with The Weird Human, I mean he's definetly worth second or third place, but Mr. Bob's ruined him... I mean the model is real good, and Bob rated it like if it would be worse than average...

Meh, dont worry theres always the next contest... Still honestly i had a lot of fun with this contest, although my modeling wasnt good enough, but thats what you call "learning from your mistakes".

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Congratulations, guys.

Congratulations, Don and Pyra! Well done!
You really deserve it, both of you. ^^
That was a really fun contest, the poll was almost completely useless it seems.

Also, the judges did a pretty damn good job, so kudos to them! :)

How is the poll useless if DonDustin won because he had the most votes (he didn't have the highest score from the judges as far as I can tell)? Not that I'm complaining, I voted for DonDustin. I'm just saying.

Level 13
Congratz to the winners !

I really dislike Mr.Bobs Judging....

I mean, look at the walk anim. It looks like a gay gangster.

The model is so disproportional, you could almost say it looks like a really weird human! See what I did there?

Wtf?

Level 31
Well, it's just the Sea Giant mesh and animations.

This is not a good thing...Nor is it an excuse.

Imo it fits fine for a guy who's going underwater in a heavy suit,

Its not that it doesn't fit, its that it makes no sense. At all. Don't compare it to wc3 standards. And even for wc3 standards (pretty fucking low) its disproportionate. Just look at those feet.

I mean, did you ever see one of those guys walk? They're heavy as hell and the friction with the water slows them down a lot.

It's not that he's slow, its that it looks retarded. His arms fall way too far back, and the strut is just lolzy.

Keep in mind guys, I didn't think any of the entries were particularly "Good" so Im not just singling him out here. Overall they were fairly shitty. Just being honest.

Though I must say, The weird human is an awesome guy in my books for not raging. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.