• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition - Chess Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, chess. The game is about conquering your opponent, but why doing it with classical pieces? Why not with ultimate pieces! Design your chess pieces the way you think they should look!

Requirements:

-Full set (Pawn, Rook, Knight, Bishop, Queen and King) black or white.

Rules are:

- The models must not exceed 1500 polygons
- You must do your own texture, which will make the model look like it's carved from stone
- You mustn't base your pieces on other models
- The pieces must have stand, attack and death animation

Estimated time to finish is 10 weeks, and has chances to get extended, due to number of models

The score will be decided by the jury, with public poll score additions

Thought of this when I woke up, hope it gets approved :wink:

Updated! :grin:

Last edited:
Ah, chess. The game is about conquering your opponent, but why doing it with classical pieces? Why not with ultimate pieces! Design your chess pieces the way you think they should look!

Rules are:

- The models must not exceed 1500 polygons
- You must do your own texture, which will make the model look like it's carved from stone
- You mustn't base your pieces on other models
- The pieces must have stand, attack and death animation

Estimated time to finish is 10 weeks, and has chances to get extended, due to number of models

The score will be decided by the jury, with public poll score additions

Thought of this when I woke up, hope it gets approved :wink:

Other than those thing I bolded,ect this looks like an awesom idea ecept a moddling compition running.

Level 45
should the chess pieces be stuck to a stone carved base like real chess pieces or should they be like normal units except with a stone texture.

I like the idea of a normal unit (eg, orc warrior, horseman) with stone texture etc.

But i'm not encouraging people just posing a grunt, changing its texture and submitting it at theirs, id love to something original, posed and well made FOR being used as a chess peice

Level 12
I think it should be that they have to model a whole set, like RDZ said. There are only like 6 different ones you have to make, and they use the same texture and anims, so SOME of the work is cut off. That way we could get really sweet stuff like... idk maybe a RDZ Industries set?

Level 12
Do the whole chess set as doodads would be really cool, I reckon.

Not a difficult challenge; you can go for the bog-standard simple pieces, or you can go nuts doing Warcraft-style pieces or something.

No heres where RDZ said the whole set. And anyways, I wasn't trying to set a theme everyone had to go by. I was just putting ideas for people to use... now who here would make a RDZ set for us? Anyone?:spell_breaker:

Level 23
If anybody else even dared to consider making an RDZ Industries set...

Anyway, I like the idea. It's not too big, it's not too bad, it won't freeze out anyone who can't animate, chess pieces can be as simple or as complex as you like, so more nubbly modellers might join in too...

A win-win situation; like I said, keep it in mind for modelling compo #5, whenever that comes around.

No one plays chess. No one needs chess models. Frankly, this'd be a boring contest.

People DO play chess....Peppars Multiplayer Chess is fine, I dunno why we need models for more chess games, SO I agree with no one needs them. Allthough, some people wanna make more chess games for some reason. o_O

I might be interesting seeing chess pices ideas people make up.

Level 4
in response to everyone who is against the 1500 polly limit, the reason it is here is so the pieces can be highly detailed. instead of a pawn that would look like a basic pawn, maybe you could make a stone warrior with a sword in his right hand and a shield in his left?

Level 4
I wouldn't say that. Someone might make a really cool chess game, and its not limiting at all! People are thinking of chess pieces like this:
istockphoto_713883_chess_piece_king.jpg

when they should be thinking like this:
lotrnbchss2.jpg

(see, thats an actual chess piece set with a LOTR theme. Try that, pick a theme for something you like and make all the pieces like that)

or something like this:
6059%20Painted%20Dragon%202%20kings.gif

Or for an example piece lets go with the rook piece in chess. For your rook, make a tower. A beutiful, stone tower. On the top of the tower place an archer. For the rook's stand animation, have a bird fly onto the tower, peck at it for a few seconds, and then fly way (remember, this is a highly detailed tower! it should look like this:
stone-tower.jpg

For its attack animation, have the archer on the top of the tower draw back his bow and fire an arrow. For the death animation, have the bottom of the tower crack, and then the top of the tower fall down to the side.

If I had a modeling program, I'd be all over this contest because I see a lot of possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.