• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #8 POLL

Who's Cavalry Will March to Victory?

• Burning_Dragoon5's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=569812&postcount=75"]Neru

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Rizz_Boomer's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=582664&postcount=203"]Goblin T

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Pyramidhe@d's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=582708&postcount=204"]Centiped

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cavman's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=581415&postcount=187"]Qilin Mage[/U

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lord_T's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=585778&postcount=239"]Abominecro[/U

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Callahan's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=585630&postcount=231"]Trogre Behe

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • DonDustin's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=588090&postcount=269"]Ogre Warlo

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • General Frank's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=585641&postcount=232"]Azure

• Dionesiist's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=581227&postcount=178"]Voidbat R

• Xatoga's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=586764&postcount=262"]Jungle Troll

• Supa-'s [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=592669&postcount=343"]Dragon Rider[/

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • DwarfZealot's [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=589079&postcount=288"]Bell Tol

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Poll.gif

Credits to Frostwhisper for the slideshow.
[RAINBOW]Modeling Competition #8 Poll[/RAINBOW]

Modeling Competition #8 has come to a close, now we must vote for the best Cavalry Unit!

Our contestants are:

Burning_Dragoon5's Nerubian Flying Bombarder
Rizz_Boomer's Goblin TechnoKnight
Pyramidhe@d's Centipede Knight
Cavman's Qilin Mage
Lord_T's Abominecro
Callahan's Trogre Behemot
DonDustin's Ogre Warlord
General Frank's Azure Dragon Rider
Dionesiist's Voidbat Rider
Xatoga's Jungle Troll Raptor Mage
Supa-'s Dragon Rider
DwarfZealot's Bell Toller

[RAINBOW]Let the voting begin![/RAINBOW]

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Although it was a tough choice, my vote goes to DwarfZealot's bell toller for that excellent idea, concept, model, texture, animation and overall execution.

Second I put Burning_Dragoon5's nerubian, as it is a very good piece of work with incredibly smooth, Blizzarrd quality animations.

Third I put Supa's dragon. It is a wonderful model and is textured awesomely, however its animations proved rather dissapointing.

Overall great models. A round of applause and free beer to all the contestants.

Level 27
Level 6
Hmmm, from the looks I like Azure Dragon Rider, Thogre Behemoth and Cantipede Knight best. Can´t test them now though...

Bell toller - Pretty cool, But I didn't like the animations, and you couldn't really see the rider.
Dragon Rider (supas) - In my opinion, The animations sucked, other wise it was pretty cool!
AbominationNecro - Really wierd and miss-shaped and animations arent that great, However the model, animations, and all of it was funny and original!
Oger Riding that Tuaren Thingie - I liked the idea, but some parts were not made very well, and animations are just normal ones..
Sentapede Rider - Cool model. It was so long when he turns it looks bad -- really bad. He also looks to much like you copypasted the sections over and over, Wich I dont like. Pretty darn good, but It could be polished up alot.
Goblin Bike - Seems kind of... Simular to other car models, not too original or anything. Looks good and has great animations, though!
DraconianAzureDragonRider - Well made model, But to animations and overall look you can tell what it originally was wich kinda ruins it for me.... :(
Nerubian Flying Bombarder - Pretty cool model, good idea, OK animations. The skin didnt seem to go on it well on places, the particle emitters on some of it didnt look so great... it was OK but not amazing.
Trogre Behemot - Cool model and idea, great animations. I love it, This one gets my vote!

Bat Voidrider - Didnt work ingame for me, maybe I didnt set paths right. From screen shots, skin wrap looked terrible anyways, though. Or somthing. It just didn't look right.
Raptor Rider - Looked like most a reskin I could tell the original model easy. It was OK though.
Qilin Mage - Good idea, (pandas ftw) but this didnt outdo the others..

Level 21
Dragon Rider (supas) - In my opinion, The animations sucked, other wise it

Because I had to do them in very little time :p
And animating isn't really that fun zZzZ
Modeling and texturing are the only aspects I like of 3d graphics
I'm probably going to re-animate it sooner or later, but there won't be a rider or gun, just the dragon

I'll test all these in-game later, view them in Magos, and then cast my vote.
Only thing is that Lord_T's doesn't look much like "his" model. I don't see much differences between his and the normal abom/necro besides mainly mesh edits

heretodlstuff why didn't you like my guys animations? personally i am quite proud of most of them
They werent HORRIBLE or anything, the ideas were good and they were OK, but his attack animation was kinda slow, and a little uncofty. Yours was sectaintly in the section of "Best models" But it wasnt quiet THE best.

The fact that people can't see animations and judge by the cool-factor of the 1 picture? >.<

Lord_T sighs and sobs over his multitude of animations that will go unnoticed
That's why there is a download link.
What can you do?If a model is not appealing enought to make people dl it and see anim you can't force them.

And actualy if you look the dl count of each models they're all around 20-40 dl count wich is more than the total of votes.
So you can't say that 100% of people judge on the slideshow picture.
And the 7 previous model compo didn't even have a slideshow presentation so it's a bonus you can't blame frostwhisper for not showing your model anims.

Level 34
Burning_Dragoon5's Nerubian Flying Bombarder is rad. Really original and well made! I love it.

Level 27
They are in.. The..
Modeling Competition #8 Results!

Mesh: (15/15)
A really wonderful mesh, low poly and well built.
I really have no complaints here.

Textures: (8/10)
The wrapping for the insect was really nice, good use of the texture.
However, I would have used the normal dune worm texture and used a Geoset Animation tint for the larvae.

Animations: (9/10)
Very smooth, I think the only thing I took off for is you should have used a Global Animation track for the wings, it sometimes jumps ingame.

Mechanics: (5/5)
Works perfectly ingame, no problems at all.

Effects: (4/5)
The acid spray effect was well done on the bug, I'd suggest giving it some gravity though.

Creativity: (5/5)
Definitely stepped beyond the normal cavalry unit archetype. The concept was as awesome as the execution.

Total: (46/50)

Mesh: (14/15)
A solid mesh, and conveyed the concept very well. A bit high on the tris, but overall a good mesh.

Very creative use for all the meshes, however you should have made the Gutz blended.

Good use of the global animations, and very smooth overall, although some parts ingame were slightly jerky.

Works well ingame.

Effects: (5/5)
You included all you needed too, the explosion was fun.

I can always count on you to brew up another awesome goblin.

Total: (46/50)

Mesh: (11/15)
A solid mesh, but extremely high poly. I would have reduced the segments on his body.

Textures: (10/10)
All of the textures you used were used fairly creatively, and used well.

Looks really good, and I liked the feeding time animation. The walk was done smoothly, however some animations had certain parts of the body still, and that kills me.

Mechanics: (1/5)
It's difficult for this unit to be practical, as the way WC3 works with turning makes long units turn strange. Also as you noted, it starts bugging randomly after a few are placed.
Also, one point deducted for no attachment points.

None were really required for this model, but some could have been used.

Awesome concept, I just wish WC3 didn't suck so hard as to make long units unfit for its engine.

Total: (41/50)

Mesh: (12/15)
A pretty good mesh, some messy/strange parts, but wasn't really a big deal ingame.
Also seemed to retain its horse shape a bit more than you probably wanted.

Your custom texture was a good addition, although the lighting on the scales was a bit strange.

Animations: (7/10)
They transferred well onto the bandit mage's animations, however the hair and moustache's lack of movement was a little distracting.

Works well ingame.

Nice, but looked too much like regular Archmage's effects.

Cool concept, haven't seen many Chinese mythological beasts here.

A bit high on the polys, also some parts (like the stomach) look too sharp, should be smoother/flatter.

Not much to say here, but the UV wrap is kind of messy in some parts.

Animations: (6/10)
Really neat concepts and good tries, but they should be eased more instead of being entirely linear.

Works fine ingame.

The green particles were neat under the robe, but the ones emitted from the staff got a little repetitive.

I lul'ed.

Total: (39/50)

An amazing mesh, but a bit high poly.

Wonderful uses of ingames, some of the best I've seen so far.

The ball was animated wonderfully. The animation list was a bit short, but it met the minimum. It was a bit etchy on the death animation though.

Works well ingame.

Effects wouldn't really have fit, so none were needed.

Great concept, even better execution.

Total: (48/50)

Mesh: (9/15)
The head of the bull was far too large for its body. I mean, there's exaggeration, then there's just overdoing it.
Also a bit high poly.

Textures: (5/10)
The UV wrap was messy in many places, degrading the quality of this model.

Animations: (7/10)
Decent animation transfer, some of the lower jaw looks weird though.

Works well ingame.

Projectile included is good.

Good concept of turning a tauren chieftan into a bull, worked out nicely.

Total: (36/50)

A very well constructed mesh, however a bit high poly. He seems to be missing a crotch (and part of his underneck), but not visible ingame.

The textures on all of your models are done magnificently, this one is no less.

Animations: (10/10)
A very well done transfer. It's good to see you renamed sequences to fit the unit better.

Works very well ingame.

The particles added to the tail and spear are great.

Cool concept, and great execution.

Total: (49/50)

Mesh: (13/15)
A solid mesh, looks a bit funny on the rider's head and the bat's tusks though.

A good texture, but no teamcolor docked you two points.

Animations: (3/10)
Very jumpy and sketchy, this was the worst part about this model.

Mechanics: (4/5)
One point deducted for no attachment points.

Effects: (3/5)
No effects were added, but I think some could have been used.

Creative and fun, I just wish the animations could have turned out better.

Total: (36/50)

Mesh: (15/15)
A very solid mesh, I have no complaints here.

Texture: (7/10)
The shading on the raptor seemed a bit cheap, as well as the filter. Looked decent on the model though.

Animations: (8/10)
The raptor resembled a horse a lot, but other than that a decent transfer.

Mechanics: (2/5)
No portrait, also some improper geoset animations made some parts stick around during decay.

Nice, but looked too much like regular Archmage's effects.

Awesome mount idea.

Mesh: (13/15)
Good mesh, but a bit high poly.

Textures: (9/10)
A great texture, but doesn't really fit too well into WC3.

Animations: (10/10)
A short list, but what you did you did well.

One point docked for missing attachment points.

Effects: (3/5)
Really could have used some smoke from the turret.

Creativity: (4/5)
A great concept, but I docked one point out of fairness since everyone had to put up with your overdueness :p

Total: (43/50)

Way too high poly, but looks great otherwise.

A great texture, no points docked for TC as it was in team glow.

Very well done animations, only a little bit of roughness.

One point docked for no attachment points.

This model didn't really need effects. Although some bell sounds would have been nice, I wouldn't require you to make a sound.

A cool concept. I liked the little guy on the top, even though he wasn't that apparent.

Total: (44/50)

[RAINBOW]1st Place: Trogre........(48+29/72*50 = 68)[/RAINBOW]
2nd Place: Dragon Rider.........(43+16/72*50 = 54)
3rd Place: Azure Dragon Rider.....(49+6/72*50 = 53)
4th Place: Goblin Technoknight.......................(46+6/72*50 = 50)
5th Place: Nerubian Flying Bombarder...............(46+4/72*50 = 49)
6th Place: Bell Toller.....................................(44+6/72*50 = 48)
7th Place: Centipede Knight............................(41+1/72*50 = 42)
8th Place: Quilin Mage...................................(41+0/72*50 = 41)
8th Place: Jungle Troll Raptor Mage.................(41+0/72*50 = 41)
10th Place: Abominecro.................................(39+2/72*50 = 40)
11th Place: Ogre Warlord...............................(36+2/72*50 = 37)
12th Place: Voidbat Rider...............................(36+0/72*50 = 36)

Congratulations to Callahan, Supa-, and General Frank, and thank you to everyone for participating!
--donut3.5--

Status
Not open for further replies.