• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Shading Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 65
So I intend to upload zis here orc model soon, problem is that in the compression something happened to his head, whot!

The polygons that meet up across the top of his head have been 'stitched' shut/together via Magos' model editor, but for some reason his forehead has a shadow that stops at the top of his head.

Have a look, see?

The shadow is most prominent when zoomed out, invisible up close (which is what I work at thus I didn't notice it until it was being tested in-game)

I am at a complete loss as to how to fix this, and I don't intend to shut off shaders entirely to have a glow-in-the-dark orc. T'would be silly.

Attachments

• Orc 2.png
    Orc 2.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Orc 3.png
    Orc 3.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 152
Level 18
No, it's just that above the ogre face on the texture there is another ogre face and you have caught the shaded part of its jaw in your orc's forehead. Just open the model in MdlVis and wrap the top vertices of the head a little lower on the texture so that the forehead does not include the shaded region.

Level 65
that's called a seam problem. It's normaly fixed by reunwrapping, reprojecting old wrap into the new one and then fixing up the generated texture.

Would'st thou runnest that by me again in smaller words, good sir :D

No, it's just that above the ogre face on the texture there is another ogre face and you have caught the shaded part of its jaw in your orc's forehead. Just open the model in MdlVis and wrap the top vertices of the head a little lower on the texture so that the forehead does not include the shaded region.

I tried that just now and it helped a little, but didn't solve the problem. Now I can zoom out a bit more before the line crosses his forehead, but at the same range as before the line thickens into a hair-band of death, whot.

Status
Not open for further replies.