• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Model Request] Flying Ancient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm looking for a unit version of the Ancient of Wind, except flying. I'm not going to be picky on what it looks like, as long as it resembles the Ancient of Wind. (Giant bird? Dragon? Let your creative juices flow!) I'd prefer something good made from the modeler's creativity, rather than pushing a bunch of specifics onto the modeler hoping he or she gets it all done. Also, I'm not expecting a custom model made from scratch! I would recommend (somehow) copying pieces off the Ancient of Wind - maybe this Geomerge thing I've heard about.

I haven't prepared anything (pictures or videos) in advance to show on my project yet (busy packing for college dorm move-in day, which is tomorrow), but I welcome you to look through the past threads I made in the World Editor Help Zone. Nearly all of the threads (all the latest ones, anyway) pertain to the Altered Melee map project I'm working on, temporarily titled "Battleground, Revisited". I have had test-runs with my brothers, but they've all been full of bugs and wrong tooltips. (Tooltips! D: I'm always forgetting to edit them, left and right, while making new units and abilities!)

I can just tell you anything you want to know about my project - current phase (in my signature at all times), early development ideas, triggers, techtrees, etc. followed by screenshots (or videos, if Fraps decides to work with me here). Or, over time, I'll add stuff here myself. Like I said, I haven't had time to prepare anything yet, but I can certainly start taking screenshots and stuff. My biggest concern right now, though, is that I CAN'T post up the map itself. I admit, I haven't updated the credits list in forever. I keep adding custom things in and taking them out, due to constant techtree changes. I will make sure I get in all the credits I can find before the map is officially released though, and anything I can't find I'll ask around.

As for model usage and usability...

While I normally agree with the whole "Get the map mostly finished before requesting custom resources" deal, sadly it's not as good of an idea for this map in particular. The way I see it, whatever the model has is whatever I use. I usually just adapt the unit based on what's in the model - tank or paper, ranged or melee, abilities, researches and upgrades. I mold the techtree around the object editor data, and the object editor data around the model and its animations to make it have a sort of... flow. If I used a temporary model first, I wouldn't be able to design any specifics about the unit yet. Is it a DPS unit? support unit? I don't know yet, because I don't have a model to look at. (Edit 3: Another extension to this. For example, if the model turns out to be a vicious dragon of sorts, it would be more fitting to make it combat suited, right? And if it turns out to be more like a giant watchful owl, it'd make more sense for it to be a support unit, I would think. So trying to make the unit without knowing what the model will be would be tough, unless I made a more specific request.)

I predict the model will be warmly welcomed in the Hive community. There are always some people around that would be glad to have another Ancient/Treant unit in their arsenal, and an air unit coming from a race of trees might give people a nice surprise.

Anyways, I just figured I should get word out first that I'm looking for this kind of model. Maybe someone interested will notice.

Edit: First screenshot in. And I just found a bug - a DISBTN icon for a hero isn't working. Probably accidentally deleted it during the "Great Purge of v0.6", clearing out a lot of imports I didn't use anymore.
88054d1282337319-model-request-flying-ancient-screenshot-1.png

Edit 2: After some days time, I've got videos up. Unlisted on Youtube. Here's the URL, so the view count there is almost strictly Hive Workshop.
Battleground, Revisited v0.7 (Part A)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FEeJXOzVs
Battleground, Revisited v0.7 (Part B)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83lGgjLlL3Q

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Level 6
@ defskull: No, because the model is designed to be a building and land unit, so even if I gave it flying and a height, it would still use its walking animation.

Anyways, I've managed to Fraps something up. At the moment, the pieces of video are taking 11 gigs on my already nearly full hard drive, so I'm going to turn it into something compressed and viewable and then delete the huge Fraps pieces. I might get it onto Youtube or something if I need somewhere to host it.

Edit: Hey, who's interested in a 20 minute video of me WORKING? I got it set up. :p I probably have to split it in half if I put it on Youtube though.

Edit 2: It's actually 22 minutes, so I might have to chop it into 3 segments. My video editing is horrid, and I happened to be listening to music while I was working, so I've got background music. :p

Edit 3: Woah, I didn't know Youtube allowed up to 15 minute videos now. Off to buy textbooks, then I'm going to re-chop it into two parts.

Edit 4: Hooray for edits! And boom!
Battleground, Revisited v0.7 (Part A)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FEeJXOzVs
Battleground, Revisited v0.7 (Part B)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83lGgjLlL3Q
Also added to the first post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.