• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Model just showing up black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've imported a file, and after a bit of trying it's worked out. Now, whenever the model loads it works quite well, but it's just completely black, the textures not loading. I've deleted and imported them, and retried, but nothing seems to work.

Last edited:
Level 11
Does your model require a specific texture? If so, you have to import it too and set the right path.

Level 2
It's this friendly boi, and I just wanted to mess around with models. It's quite annoying, however.

Attachments

• Star.blp
    573.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Star2.blp
    354.1 KB · Views: 37
  • StarPlatinum.mdx
    185.7 KB · Views: 35
Level 11
I tested your files, imported them with the right path, and I encountered the very same issue. This model can be seen in Warcraft 3 Viewer and Magos Model Editor, however in WE and in game only a black figure can be seen. I guess this problem might be caused by the model itself. I didn't find this model here in the Hive, therefore it's likely it wasn't checked and approved by other people.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Bad textures. At the very least they are pointlessly huge, as Warcraft III will not use any mipmap levels larger than 512*512 pixels. However there is clearly something more wrong with them.

Use these fixed and more optimized versions. A fraction of the file size and load on the model perfectly in game as seen by the demo map.

I will investigate the cause of the problem and write back/edit once I am done.

EDIT:
Star.blp lacked mipmaps. As such it is not suitable for use as a texture on a model. The version provided below added mipmaps so is suitable.
Star2.blp lacked mipmaps. As such it is not suitable for use as a texture on a model. The version provided below added mipmaps so is suitable.

Whoever made them clearly never bothered to test them and had no idea how WC3 works.

Attachments

• Star2Fixed.blp
    61.7 KB · Views: 29
  • StarFixed.blp
    149.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Toppers Import Demo.w3x
    306.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.