• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Issue {Model centered off the selection radius}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So, I created some planets in my map and I am using the icon planet models from assets.

Now for some reason, the model is off centered from the selection radius and I like to know how to correct this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
One approach I know would work is to offset the model using various invisible dummies that you attach it to. Another is to edit the model using the Blizzard Art Tools (getting released soon) and manually centre it.

The First approach is described at SC2Mapster where various mining cranes, windmills and gates have been made using it.

... Another is to edit the model using the Blizzard Art Tools (getting released soon) and manually centre it. ...

WHAT!??!
*pops a nut*

Anyways if DSG didn't make it clear enough the model itself is designed to be offset like that.
The only way to fix it is to attach the model to an offset invisible dummy or to edit the model itself, again as DSG said.

Ok you have 2 options currently.

You can use the .m3 import/export scripts for 3d studio max, found on sc2mapster.com or

You can do the following: (easier method):

Go to the actors tab:

Create a new action with the type "Site (Local Offset)".

Ok now you have offsets in 3d space, Z being up. You have to do trial and error (by placing a unit on the map then removing it).

Now go the the model or unit in question:

Make sure your viewing all the data you can alter on the unit/model's actor in a list form (but not raw data or xml).

Go to "Hosted Site Operations".

Add your "Site (Local Offset)" actor to this field.

Now what will happen is the model will be offset from where it normally is "center".

Now for the selection offset do the following:

Go to the models tab. Find the model for the planet you are looking for.

Now at this point I prefer to duplicate it and relink in the actors. Default stuff is handy to find references to in case you manage to play around enough with it to where you can't put it back to normal.

Now just go to the "selection offset" field and again offset in 3d space, Z being up.

Now a note: Just because the actor and its selection "appear" to be moved this does not mean that the unit is actually there. It is still in its origonal spot. So if you need to find its exact location via triggers and translate that to what it appears to be you will need to use the same offsets in triggers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.