• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Footprints / Unit Radius without grid & angle locking. HOW DO I DO THIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have barricades (sandbags, wooden walls, etc.) in my map which have square and rectangle footprints. The only problem with them is that they are stuck to the grid and can only be properly rotated at 45 degree angles.

I want to make barricades have their rectangle footprints and yet be placeable at any spot (no locking to grid) and rotate at any angle. That way players can (for example) place them in formations to create a circle of sandbags around them instead of an octagon....

These seem to be the relevant data fields (here taken from marine):
Movement: Pathing Footprint (None)
Movement: Pathing Footprint - Dead (None)
Movement: Pathing Footprint - Placement (None)

Movement: Inner Radius 0.375
Movement: Radius 0.375
Movement: Radius - Dead 0
Movement: Separation Radius 0.375​

Do I just have to give it a pathing footprint without the placement footprint or will it take a more complicated solution to make this work?

The pathing system works on a grid so I do not think what you are after is possible.

You can however make the sand bags have no pathing but spawn pathing blockers under them.

It looks like I'm going to have to do that... it'll be odd though because I'm going to have to make a system where the sandbag and it's pathing are linked together and if the sandbag dies the pathing goes with it. The AI might be confused by it and mess up and the pathing will never be quite right, it'll always be off from the position of the actual barricade. D:

make the sandbag a unit, and give it a colision, this will remove the red square when trying to build, but other than that.. it will still block, and it wont prevent units from trying to run around 'into' the bags but rather attack them IF there isnt a way around), also your using the barrel sized square?, if you need you can import a custom pathmap that is 1/4 the barrels size, if you do go the other route

no i mean the pathing map for barrels.., it is 1/4 the size of a human towers pathing.. and it IS square, although the whole mention was to tell you that pathing can get even smaller than that and that a '1x1' square is actually 1/4 the size of a barrels pathing map.., although as far as i know anything with a pathing map will be locked to grid, and anything without wont be.. (although you could always create the pathing later.., (replace the pathless one with a pathed one when construction completes?, it may move a small bit to the nearest pathing cells though.., so maybe you could add locust to the actual building built, and destroy it when your invisible building with the pathing dies, although this would prettymuch stop players from clicking or non-autocast repairing it.. which may be an issue.., enemys would still attack it fine

as far as i know to allow rotation to a building you have to add the unroot ability (hidden in a spellbook?), or just make it a unit

EDIT: OOps sorry :p, didnt notice sc2 forum, thought u were still on that wc3 project u had; ignore my ignorant rant

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
no i mean the pathing map for barrels.., it is 1/4 the size of a human towers pathing..
What human tower? What barrel? You refering to the Terran Missle turret and a Vespeine Gas canester?

you could always create the pathing later.., (replace the pathless one with a pathed one when construction completes?, it may move a small bit to the nearest pathing cells though..,
Why not just build it with a pathing to start with...

as far as i know to allow rotation to a building you have to add the unroot ability (hidden in a spellbook?), or just make it a unit
What unroot ability?! What Spellbook!?

You are making absolutly no sense at all... As far as I know StarCraft II has no human towers, barrels, unroot abilities and spellbooks...

Status
Not open for further replies.