• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Model] Dungeon Components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Hey,

I need several structural components for creating dungeons.
I'm currently working with a set of walls I found on wc3c (if I recall correctly), and while they're sufficient for testing purposes, I'd like a better alternative (and possibly multiple sets in long-term).

What I need

attachment.php

Components must meet following conditions:
  • Match the size as seen in the screenshot (compare with the yellow grid). Okay, I can edit the size in world edit, but I'd rather deal with a size of 1.00 or 2.00 than 3.141592 to keep walls aligned.
  • Allign perfectly. Walls will be stacked on top of each other, so use sharp edges and 90° angles.
  • Match the same theme (i.e. wall & gate should use the same stone texture)

A minimal set includes 1 wall, 1 wall connector, 1 gate, 1 stairs and 1 floor. Additional variations are allowed (and encouraged). My current models include a gate with 2 variations (1 with and 1 without a door).

• Wall
  • Wall Connector (will be used between walls and gates)
  • Gate (if a gate has a door, please include a "death" animation)
  • Stairs (make sure they're small enough to fit; Must be walkable)
  • Floor (preferably with seamless texture; Must be walkable)

Artistic Freedom
You are free to choose whatever theme you want. It could be a middle-eastern set, inca temple set, goblin technodungeon, or simply a traditional dungeon.
You are free to use whatever textures you want. I prefer existing textures to keep file size low.
Your material remains your property. You can upload them in the model section and let other people use them.

What I need it for

I'm creating a random dungeon generator.
Dungeons will be generated in-game when needed.
The structural part is finished, I'm currently working on adding "content" to the dungeon.

Demo video

Attachments

• components.jpg
    components.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 343
This seems fairly simple. I'll look into it and see if I can do anything in 3ds max. The problem, however might be the textures. I usually use more realistic textures (photographs). I'll try and find some good cartoonish/simplified textures unless you want them to be realtexture. I'll go ahead and make some meshes and then you can decide.

Btw, what do you mean, "must be walkable"? I don't think I can add walkability in a model editor. I thought that was done via invisible platforms.

EDIT: Warning about the size. 3ds Max and warcraft 3 use very different scales. I usually have to scale my own models up to 5-8 to get them to be large enough. No decimals though.

Level 21
Thanks. I figured it wasn't "too" hard since it's non-organic, non-animated.
I prefer textures that mix well with classic warcraft, given that all other models (units and all) are cartoonish.

As for walkability: I'm not sure if this is a property of the model or not. There's a setting in the object editor, but I don't know if it works for every model. I know it works on the "Elevator" doodad.

As for the size: I'm fine with scaling the models, but I'd prefer scales that make sense (e.g. 2x or 3x size). I'd rather not have to deal with figuring out whether I should scale the model to 3.14159 or 2.71828. As a reference, the yellow grid lines (size of the "floor" doodad) are 512 * 512 warcraft units large, whatever that is in 3ds max.

All of the models are finished. Several of them are exported, but I ran into some trouble exporting the simulated physics. I have a friend who has done it successfully so It should be sorted out tomorrow.

Shot some of the models combined into a structure.

1aJj1tc.jpg

Shot with all of the models in one screen.

0cyOGnc.jpg

All the models with doors except for the metal bars have death animations of them being broken down. The animations were simulated with the HAVOK reactor in 3ds max, making them physically accurate if a bit exaggerated. I'll post some videos when I finish exporting everything and post it here.

Texture credits go here - http://www.simonoc.com/pages/materials/tpmedieval/index.htm

Textures can't be used for commercial purposes. I modified them in gimp and photoshop to stylize them and reduce the size.

Did I do a good job?

I've been having some issues with the death animations. I got all of the physics animations in except one, which I did get in but is acting funny. I don't know if I can fix that particular one. It was the one with the boarded up door.

I'm trying to get the others to work right, but I can't stop the death animation from looping even if I add the non looping tag.

I'm finally done. It appears I forgot to add a decay animation and that's why they kept looping.
I couldn't fix the boarded up door model. The simulation would not convert correctly. I may get around to trying again in the future. It is not included in this pack.
The death animations work fairly well for the others though.
To make the stairs walkable check the walkable option in the editor so it will use the mesh as pathing. Make sure you put pathing blockers over the sides so you can't walk on those to.

Tell me if you have any problems and I shall attempt to resolve them.

Attachments

• Ballistic Dungeon Builder.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.