• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello everyone :),

I made a new model for a gate by 3D Studio Max 8, i applied a texture to it and saved the file as .mdl then converted it to .mdx.

The problem here is as follows -- after i imported the model successfully inside the WE i replaced the farm's model with the gate so i can place it, but sadly when i tested the game i found that there was no model just hidden building with a collision size.

Anyone know how to fix that? and if possible how to attach textures to a separate file (.blp ones)? as i am planning to uplaod the model and texture if they worked fine in the resources.

Thank you very much in advance..

Level 7
first of all you cant simply name a file mdl and have it work, your using max 8 which isn't the best tool to make wc3 models. what you need to do is to use dex export script, ill attach it. when the screen opens say print to listener, then slelect everything in that window and copy and paste it in a blank word pad file. rename the file whatever.mdl then convert it to mdx and it should now work. if you are still having trouble post your max scene and ill export it for you.

dex script
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17807&d=1196549465

Level 4
Hi again,
I think you miss understood me, i didn't save the file as .mdl i used the dex tool to export the file as .mdl then used MDL/X converter to convert it to .mdx and tried to import the file into a doodad model but it didn't work (though i didn't ry the word pad trick you are saying...)

Level 7
what you need to do is zip it and click the paper clip in the tool bar when you type a message, find the file on your desk top and click upload then wait for it to finish and post your message. next you need to give me the textures you used so i can apply them.

Last edited:

TDR

TDR

Level 18
If you have textures applied to your models, please save the scene as an archive. It's a pain in the butt to see that pop up with missing textures all the time. Speaking of which, I suppose you did also import the textures and gave them the correct path, right?

Level 4
ummm, no i didn't save the textures properly, because i dont' know how, and i don't know how to save textures as archive..

sorry i am just starting out in the modding world and my max experience was limited to just making models and stuff only..

if you would tell me how to save textures as archive i would do it.

Attachments

• Gate_Temple04.max
    264.5 KB · Views: 69

TDR

TDR

Level 18
saving as archive saves the scene and all the textures you used in the scene placed in the same folders and a document to tell max where to look for the textures all in one archive, which makes it easier to pass scenes from one another. Search the File menu for an "Archive..." option, that'll do the job. But I see you used textures that come standard with max, so this wasn't needed anyway.

Regarding the model you should try to reduce the polygons, there's a great waste going on there. Also fix the uv mapping. Best thing to do is just add an UVW map modifier on your model and chose the Box or Face option if you want your model to have just one tilable texture. If not, you must unwrap it.

I think the problem is that you don't import the texture, from what you say. Save the textures as blp with Image Extractor 2 or something similar and import them in the game with the correct path. If you don't know what this is, search and you'll find what you need.

Level 4
i just added the UVW map on the middle gate part because the texture without it is horrible so it add moreuniform shape to it that is all, thank you about that archive thing, next time i will do it.

Thank you very much for the help i will try save the texture as you told me and i will update this thread soon, hopefully with a successful importing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.