• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model can not be loaded in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hello.

I tried to rip a WoW model just to learn how to do it. I did pretty much evrything okay except for animations, because I couldn't manage to do it so far, but it was pretty much ripped. I tried importing, but cube appears no matter what I try to do. What could make it work, what was my mistake? I'll attach it so you guys can check it out.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• CHESTGOLD01.blp
    129.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DRAGONSOUL_CHEST_01.blp
    817.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Dragonsoul_Chest4.mdl
    318.6 KB · Views: 62
I got it to work with the one you posted. It crashed the editor, but it worked in game (I assigned the model to a peasant and made one in-game).

One thing I tried was replacing the alpha channels in the textures with opaque ones. That didn't work (although, the alpha aspect wasn't really used so it cut down a decent amount of the file size). The next thing I tried was deleting the stand sequence. That worked. However, there was z-fighting (there is a geoset in there that doesn't actually show up in-game. I made a new sequence (named stand) and then it worked without any issues. I've attached the test map.

The sequence deletion/addition was done via MDLVis (I don't remember if MDLVis does "proper" animation removal, but since the animation was just the object standing there, it didn't affect the file size). I just navigated to the sequence editor and selected "Create". I highlighted "New" and wrote "Stand" in its place. Then I just imported the BLP, changed the paths, imported the MDX and then saved. Then I assigned it to the peasant and placed one.

Good luck.

Attachments

• ModelTestMap.w3m
    697.7 KB · Views: 64
Level 31
Thank you for the help, PurgeandFire. But I still don't really get it how to make it work on my own.

So I replaced textures alpha channels to opaque ones with 80% quality to massively reduce its size. Then I opened Mdlvis, remade sequence. Checked model editor, tried deleting the third geoset. But it still won't work, also how did you manage to change model's size from 300 to 100 kb? Sorry, I'm new to modeling.

Is it crashing the editor? Or is it just showing up as a checkered cube? I only did the sequence replacement so that it wouldn't crash in the editor (or at least so it wouldn't crash in my editor--my computer is kind of ancient).

Also, does it show up as a cube in the map I attached?

One of the most important things is to verify that you have the correct texture paths. What paths did you use when you imported it? Also, make sure you don't save after importing the model until you have properly set the texture paths. Otherwise the model will likely fail to load (since the first import is when WE associates the model its texture). You should try deleting the MDX and the two textures, saving, closing WE and reopening the map, and then importing the MDX + two textures (set paths too), and then finally save. I even got the ones in your first post working, so I think it is just an import process issue.

And about getting the model's size from 300 kb to 100 kb--you attached the model as .mdl format, which is just a user-readable form of the MDX format. The MDX format is compressed and encrypted. You can convert a MDL to MDX either with magos (file -> save as, add .mdx extension) or Guesst's MDLX converter (tools section), mdlvis, or yobgul's converter, etc.

Level 31
I opened my version of the model, saved to MDX extension, created totally new testing map, added mdx & the textures and it worked fine. :) I guess I messed up afterall, my testing map had several different chest models as well as several sizes textures.

Thank you again, your help was really valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.