• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modded WC3 Import Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Using files like CommandStrings.txt and importing them into your WC3 map can change things that not only the Object Editor can't, but also things that the Trigger Editor can't do.

But what I'm wondering is, can you also change the World Editor UI with these files?

What I am asking is, could you change the names of tiles such as "Dirt" or "Grass" to something else, by importing a txt file into your map?

I tried using files like, WorldEditStrings.txt, however it was a long time ago. I don't think it worked, but I could try using it again.

Anyone else got any ideas?

You can rename the textures in the MPQ by exporting them, renaming, and then importing them back into the MPQ into the same area. This will only do that for you, though. Also, it is recommended to make a backup MPQ before you modify it, in case anything goes wrong.

Yes, you can change the world editor UI with those files. But just note that this will only make changes for whoever has the MPQ, not whoever opens the map.

Level 12
I guess I'm okay with that. The point was to get map-making with custom data easier, using Terrain that have proper names for them instead of something that says "Grassy Snow" then the texture looks like dirt or mud.

But it isn't necessary.

Edit: What about the .slk files? What are those even for?
Edit again: BTW, what files are you talking about? The WorldEditStrings.txt or the actual textures?

The SLK files hold data, usually pertaining to whatever the SLK file's name is. For example, LightningData.slk will hold data for lightning objects. You should be able to overwrite them by importing them into your map. I haven't tested them all, but it works with LightningData.slk so I assume it works for the others. You can see an example of this in this tutorial:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...s-278/how-customise-lightning-effects-203171/

And as for the second question, I think I misunderstood your question. I'm not actually sure where the names for tiles are listed. They might be under WorldEditStrings, I'm not sure. I'll try to check when I have time. If it is in WorldEditStrings, you might be able to overwrite it by creating a "UI" folder in your Warcraft III folder, and placing the strings in there. (assuming that the path for that file in the mpq is \UI\WorldEditStrings.txt)

Status
Not open for further replies.