• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mining mania, a new map type that was never created before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Now, mining mania is a game in which everyone gets a peasant for a unit in the middle of a map filled with breakable rocks and sorounded by walls.

-The peasant has an inventory and is named "Miner" and can't build;
-There are more types of rocks :

Rock--Gold awarded---Chance to find
Copper---10 gold---------100%
Gold-----50 gold----------40%
Silver-----100 Gold--------30%
Gem------1000 gold--------10%

Now, we don't wanna make it so that you can't do anything with the money, right? Well, there are towns hidden thru the mine which you can find by digging.

What you can do in towns :
1.Buy items.
2.Buy more workers
3.Interact with other units.
4.Do quests.

Item-------------------Useage----------------------Cost--------
Silver pick-----------Faster mining--------------------50 gold
Bomb---------------Blows up 3 rocks in the-----------60 gold each
---------------------area of impact
Golden pick----------Faster than silver.----------------1000 gold
Hand cannon---------Kills the creeps-------------------400 gold
Worker---------------Adds a worker--------------------1200 gold
----------------(Not controlled by player)
Lantern-------------Allows you to light certain areas --600 gold

Now, there are more challanges out there than digging.

Creep---------Damage--------Special ability-------Chance-------Aggresive
Rat--------------1---------------NONE-------------90%------------No
Sludge-----------5--------------Disease------------40%-----------Yes
Dog(In cities)----10--------------Bite---------------In cities---------No
Skeleton---------20-------------Scare---------------30%------------Yes
Giant bat--------12-------------NoNE---------------60%-------------No
Spider------------5---------------Web----------------80%-------------No
Lost miner--------3--------------Speed--------------10%------------Very

In some areas you may be required to have a lantern to see.

Workers are special units that you can purchase at the local market in cities, they dig for you and keep 50% of the loot, they can't defend themselves from creeps that's why you have the ability to order them where to mine with a special ability.

Worker-------------Speed-----------Gold per hour--------Cost
Basic---------------Slow---------------40----------------1200
Lurker--------------Average------------70----------------1400
Normal-------------Fast---------------100---------------2000
Master-------------Very fast-----------500--------------3500

You can purchase items for your workers like cannons, better picks, lanters so that they can work better.

The trick in dark areas is that you have a higher chance to find rare ores there.

Now, the game has to be luck based, otherwise people will just mine the good ones, with better pickaxes you can mine better ores but there's also a chance for the ore to break, the better the pick the higher the chance.

Last edited:
Level 5
I do like the idea, but I didn't really understand the goal with the game. How do you win?

You win once you mine the entire area, then the game resets. However it takes from 5 to 10 seconds to clear a basic rock with a basic pickaxe and it takes about a minute to mine a gem rock with a basic pickaxe, so clearing an 128X128 map will take you about a day and maybe more. :smile:

Level 8
Idea: Generate the terrain randomly. Don't just add types of rock add types of explosives randomly scattered around. A skilled player will try to mine their way to a lots of explosives packed together to mine much faster. Explosives, once attacked, explode in 5 seconds exploding all nearby explosives as well.

Also gold shouldn't be given by mining rocks, but an item should be created which gives the gold at the position of the rock allowing you to steal someone else's gold.

You should also add support column . If you destroy the support within a few seconds that part collapses. Any miners within the aoe gets killed. Bombs can be used to destroy it allowing you to sabotage enemy miners.

Also gold gained shouldn't be luck based. Luck games, although fun at first, grows old very fast,

Level 5
Any ore could be added, but I'm only thinking of the basics, and indeed gold is worth more than silver, but I'm just the idea maker.

Level 22
PROTIP: If the rocks are constants, people would avoid mining the crappy ones.
Game shouldn't be luck based, rather, have odds in it.
Like, gems have 10% chance of being destroyed in the process, or cracking, rendering it worth half as much.
That way, people wouldn't only try to mine the expensive ones, because there's a risk it's all wasted.
Oh yeah, rocks destroying your pickaxe so you have to buy a new would be good too.

Level 5
PROTIP: If the rocks are constants, people would avoid mining the crappy ones.
Game shouldn't be luck based, rather, have odds in it.
Like, gems have 10% chance of being destroyed in the process, or cracking, rendering it worth half as much.
That way, people wouldn't only try to mine the expensive ones, because there's a risk it's all wasted.
Oh yeah, rocks destroying your pickaxe so you have to buy a new would be good too.

I actually agree, I'll edit the idea right now :thumbs_up:

Level 5
This is a really good idea. It shocked me that someone has actually come up with something remotely unique, instead of just another Dota/TKOK Clone like half of the other threads.

Why thank you, I have a few more in my head and I do consider most ideas dota copies too, my ideas are trying to create new map styles and such, if someone would create such a map it would be great but it would require some work to be accomplished :nw:

Level 5
Bump, I'm proposing a new suggestion to this idea, chat regeneration, if player says "Regen" then all rocks reset, this may cause bugs but a skilled person can take care of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.