• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Minimap Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I made a cool minimap for my map using Inkarnate and imported it into my map, but I am facing a slight issue.

Blight in my map shows up as bright blue over my custom minimap. This makes the blighted part of the minimap look really ugly.

Unfortunately I have used all 16 tiles, so I can't export the blight texture from the CASC and import it as another tile or else that would be my first option.

I have considered placing dummy units with a blight aura around and just leave the tiles as dirt tiles, but that's really my last solution.

Is there any other known solution to this problem?

screenshot_1-png.332404

Level 39
You could maybe create a hybrid tile that uses the blight texture as a variation of some other tile you’re not using very much of in the map. Or the other way around. You would probably have to manually place the tiles a lot to get the proper variation in a contiguous area but I believe it’s possible.

You could maybe create a hybrid tile that uses the blight texture as a variation of some other tile you’re not using very much of in the map. Or the other way around. You would probably have to manually place the tiles a lot to get the proper variation in a contiguous area but I believe it’s possible.
Won't I have to edit the actual texture file to do that? It should be doable I guess, but I have zero experience with texture editing unfortunately.

You can't. AFAIK it's hardcoded to be like that, even if you replace the blight tile texture or the minimap image it will still appear blue in your map, probably because the blight green effects that spawns in the blight area are considered units so it appears as a unit in the minimap covering the minimap image (just like normal units). Your only way to get rid of it is to use a normal tile and replace it with a blight tile exported from CASC/MPQ.

Last edited:
Yes. There’s a tool on this site that makes tile editing easy. Don’t remember the name off the top of my head though.
Sounds interesting. This is the most logical approach so I will see if I can find that tool.

Your only way to get rid of it is to use a normal tile and replace it with a blight tile exported from CASC/MPQ.
This was my initial approach but all the tiles are used so I have to make a "multi tile" like @Pyrogasm suggested.

Well if you can't replace it or change the aspect via editing a texture in the ".mpq" by overwriting the path in the import manager, use splats or whatchamacallit over blank (one tile) terrain.

EDIT:
Uber landscape
I have to say, it's a really interesting way to apply tiles but I really don't file like spamming units every 4 tiles to apply blight.

In worst case scenario I just have to survive with a blue area on the minimap, or scrap the custom minimap altogether.

Import the blight texture as another tile texture then generate the blight tile during initialization.
If I import the blight texture as another tile texture it will change the appearance of all places where I have applied that tile. I don't want that. Also why would I generate the tile during initialization instead of just applying it to the areas I want beforehand?

Import it under a tile you are not using

See

Unfortunately I have used all 16 tiles, so I can't export the blight texture from the CASC and import it as another tile or else that would be my first option.

Also

then generate the tile during map initialization as you won't be able to place it via editor.
It is possible to place it, it just won't show up as the updated tile in the editor but it is fully visible as the imported tile as soon as you start the game.

You can change textures of tiles that the map is not actively using. So it is possible to bypass the 16 tile limit. Import the texture under tile you are not. Just so I'm clear - I'm not suggesting you import it under any tile you are actively using. Use a random tile ID not currently being used. Then generate that tile during initialization via script.

You can change textures of tiles that the map is not actively using. So it is possible to bypass the 16 tile limit. Import the texture under tile you are not. Just so I'm clear - I'm not suggesting you import it under any tile you are actively using. Use a random tile ID not currently being used. Then generate that tile during initialization via script.
Aaah I get it. That's really smart, thanks a bunch!

EDIT: Works like a charm and doesn't show up on the minimap as blight! Now I just have to go through the tedious process of applying blight to only certain areas over a huge region....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.