• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Game Mapping Contest #5 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
5.png

results.png

178091-albums2336-picture50721.jpg

Defense
Contestants are challenged to make a defense map.
Users are free to pick between Defense/Survival, Tower Defense and AOS.
However the main objective of the map would be to defend a target unit.
Examples:
Tower Defense - Build towers close to the target
AOS - 2 Sides spawning units, one team has to get the target to his base (=Illidan Mission)
Defense/Survival - No AI ally, players pick a hero and defend the target

Warning these are examples, not restrictions!

contest%20judging.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9th place: Blazing_Legion - Island Protection
*Originality-* ------------------------ 8/15
The "Protect the building until it's finished" type of map is a bit mainstream, but you got it through, barely. I haven't seen too much different things that other maps don't already have. Thought it's hard to be original, you haven't done much to get you out of formality. Lots of modes and different enemies, as well as custom heroes and their skills got you some points.

*-Map Presentation & Design-* ----------------------- 4/10
Author name, map name and suggested players are done properly.
However, map description is very ugly, it uses one single sentence to describe everything, and shows only the goal of the game. There is no link to the contest you created this map for, or useful messages ingame. Quests are completely empty. You used a Loading Screen which has absolutely nothing to do with your map, and text you wrote in there, which was supposed to be story, without proper formating, failed. You used decent skills in creating Hero and skill tooltips, but you messed up hotkeys.

*-Terrain-* ----------------------- 5/25
One single tile for entire map says enough. Even with the fact that you avoided Blizzard cliffs, in half of the map, and used smooth transition between water and dry land, you lack much. Canopy tree doodads are awkward, they cover up too much and they are not functional, plus your random placement makes the map end with half empty field. No sky, fog, lighting, doodads or animations make this very boring terrain.

*-Triggers, their Efficiency and Performance-* -------- 5/10
You avoided few leaks, nearly all triggers need optimization. There are still some leaks you missed, like in unit creation or hero pick. Some spells are full of things that can go wrong, such as Critical Blink Strike skill.

*-Object Data-* -------------------- 8/10
Not a single imported file. I will keep this score up, just for an attempt to make the map as small as possible, but I will also reduce it for it's lazziness and simplicity.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 10/30
Seven modes to customize your game is a nice addition, as well as the length of the game. But the game is way too hard, even at easiest mode, for one or two players. Apart from that, there is nothing left to catch my eye.

Total of: 37/100, which is 37% of maximum possible score earned, and ninth out of nine places on scoreboard.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8th place: ltkp - Block your Enemy
*Originality-* ------------------------ 15/15
I never played such map before, and you were right to say that it's your own definition of defense. The object of the game is to block the attackers with "Your skills, spells and your own body" from stealing the power of the statue. This is incredible and cool idea, and I wonder why nobody tried to such thing, as it would be a real hit through the Warcraft III gamers who seek fun, fast-paced and original maps.

*-Map Presentation & Design-* ----------------------- 3/10
You inputed a proper author name, but that's pretty much everything. The map's name (Block Your Enemy) could have been something more intriguing and original, something that could force players to, if nothing else, at least check it out. Your map fits in the Defense type category, but I don't see a place where that is written. The ingame fields of suggested players is missing. Even if your map supports only one player, the field should be filled properly. Map Description is quite... Empty. It says:
"Block your enemy until the curse kills him.";
Why haven't you wrote something like:
"The statue of Aszune is in danger! It's magical powers attracted various snatchers who are ready to do anything to get it's power! You, brave hero, are selected by the Higher Force to defend the statue with your body, spells and skills!
Anyways, the messages that are displayed are full of grammatical errors, but they show a pretty nice sense of creativity. What I would do if I were you, is to shorten them a little, add some colors to them, and use them to display some additional informations, such as Health, special abilities of attackers, and how much it would take for creeps to die by the lunar curse. Custom loading screen and map preview image are missing, and we come to "Higher Math". Since this map is for one player only, it should damage your score, but since this map is not polished and it is quite short, I haven't increased nor decreased your score for that. Skill tooltips are really, really bad. They lack some coloration and informations, such as Cooldown, and they display statistics of all levels, at all levels. You could have used Quests to write down some informations, tactics and where to contact you with feedback if we like your map. Icons are okay, I guess, most of them at least follow the effects of the skills, and in most cases, the set colorations. I don't think you remembered to change the custom names of the Druid - he still uses the Tinker ones. You could have also modify the game interface and hero attributes, to determine statuses like "Speed", "Units Killed", or even "Lives". The basic ASI stats will do nothing. I am surprised that Gameplay Constants and Interface are completely untouched.

*-Terrain-* ----------------------- 15/25
Terrain is plain and empty - if this is a Night Elven protection of the statue, I would be more likely to create the whole map with the Ashenvale terrain. The whole maps uses just few terrain variations, and you should, next time, think of their alignment in the "Modify Tileset" section, to make sure what overlaps what. There are doodads, there is a slight variation, but there are also cliffs. Never use Blizzard's cliffs, because they look weird, simple, plain and are just not worth to look at. Use Raise & Lower tools instead. The terrain is poorly excecuted: no animated doodads, fog, lighning, imported resources, sky, water tint and weathers. I thought that there were ramps in the center of the map, where you covered the cliffs with the buildings, but I was shocked when I rotated the camera. Nice trick of disguise, I have to say. Still, the terrain is good enough for this type of map, even with certain lacks. I don't like that I can pass through the main statue.

*-Triggers, their Efficiency and Performance-* -------- 6/10
There are memory leaks, mostly Points and Unit Groups are leaking. The Skills were good, their performance is neat, and the effects are wisely used. I don't want to know how you did those two parts so differently. Not much to talk about in here, hence I think that it's clearly seen where you were in a rush, and where you placed some effort in.

The main issues I experienced were about Colition Size. All attackers had huge colition, as well as the heroes, making creep block too easy. Some skills, such as the Entangling Roots, had dummies that were much smaller than the Area of Effect. You could have used a custom import instead of ladder Roots. All units are scaled properly for this type of map, but they all also have ugly shadows. Remember to always use the Flying shadows, as they are better, smoother, and definitively nicer for the eye. Some units could have a benefit from being similar to each other, instead of Neutral-Human-Naga-Troll-Undead set. Selection scales could be a little more extended to fit some units, such as Trolls and Wolves. The themes of heroes are complete, nicely done, and unique, but why the Druid has one skill more than Tinker? Some hotkeys are hard to handle, and some skills are misplaced after learning. Map size is pretty nice, and I like the fact that you kept it to minimal, even with some imports, but I really don't see the reason of the imported Machine model. There are no sounds used in the Sound Manager, and it's a mistake that I won't be counting.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 10/30
There are no modes to customize your game, such as Random Hero, Random Waves, etc. There are no difficulties to customize the number, speed and armor of the attackers, as well as lives you get at the begining. The game is quite short, and made me wanna scream "I wun moar!". It's quite difficult if you don't know what are you doing, and which paths the creeps will hit.

Total of: 57/100, which is 57% of maximum possible score earned, and eight out of nine places on scoreboard.
7th place: scorpion182 - Goblin Crush Ball
*Originality-* ------------------------ 8/15
This map reminded me of Crash Bash Bandicot Party - there was exactly the same mini game in there. Thought this is a fun map to play, I don't see what would make players to remake it and play it again. There are just simple units, one type of missile, and same & lame game over and over again. What could greatly improve your map would be some custom balls (i.e.: burning for speed, frost for slow, static for a ministun, ...) and some custom units to grab upon.

*-Map Presentation & Design-* ----------------------- 8/10
You inputed a proper author name, but that's pretty much everything. Map Description is nearly empty. It displays only game info, without the author and links to the contest. To sum: no useful messages, no links in preview screen. Links and information ingame are hard to find, thought. Quests are fine. But please tell me; what the hell is that Split Shot skill doing in there? Usage of Loading Screen and Map Preview was not a must, but it sure looks nice. There is only one usable ability in the entire game, and you failed to provide proper info such as cooldown and movement increase. It also uses weird Roar effect.

*-Terrain-* ----------------------- 15/25
Two words: plain & empty. Seriously, for that amount of useless and huge textures you imported, I could have implemented over hundred doodads that would make a huge difference. Terrain has only two tile variations, and everything other is dirt. I understand that you tried to keep the things to minimal level of complicity, but man, this looks so weak and unfinished. Some doodads, more detailed and useful terrain, lighning and weather wouldn't hurt, right?

*-Triggers, their Efficiency and Performance-* -------- 9/10
I found few errors that made the ball stop or go towards random directions while playing. Also, the impact triggers, which would make the ball bounce off from a player unit - they might need an improvement.

*-Object Data-* -------------------- 6/10
You could have save up a large portion of map size, just by removing unused animations from the models, and compresing them as well as textures. 650 kbs for three terrain textures, no matter how awesome they are, will always push your score downwards. There should be alternatives for the models of crushers.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 20/30
There are no modes to customize your game. There are no difficulties to customize the number, speed and size of the Arena, as well as some random doodads to bounce balls upon hit. The game is short, incredibly hard, and made me frustrated until I got in shape.

Total of: 66/100, which is 66% of maximum possible score earned, and seventh out of nine places on scoreboard.
6th place: bowser499 - Mini OaD
*Originality-* ------------------------ 10/15
A very simple, short and lacking defense map, nothing more. Unique heroes, terrain, and a slight level of excitement.

*-Map Presentation & Design-* ----------------------- 7/10
Author name, map name, map preview and suggested players are done nicely. Map description is lacking some informations. I am not sure about the Default Loading screen thought, you could have written some information in regular Blizzard one. Decent work on tooltips. Perfect synergy with icons, names and effects.

*-Terrain-* ----------------------- 20/25
Brilliant. You used cliffs, but in a good way. You played with doodads. You used correct tile alignment and placement. You also increased advantage of visuals with fog, water tint, light and sound atmosphere change, but you forgot the sky. Also, there are not too many variations with animations, and you need somethign to keep yourself out of this green-yellowish-ness.

*-Triggers, their Efficiency and Performance-* -------- 10/10
I wasn't able to find anything that could bother me. I'm impressed.

Nothing impressive. It appears that you only used imports to customize your heroes. I wish that I have seen some doodads in there. One MB is a lot for online hosting, and if you continue like this, with double amount of heroes, you will have double of size. Also, some effects are repeating themselves in skills.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 15/30
Lone players will have a lot of troubles to pass this map. There are not too much waves, which makes this map plain. There are not any tutorials or tips. We got stuck on the Boss wave, with all heroes. The boss was invulnerable, and just shooting water and killing us. We haven't figured out what to do, and I marked this map as "Unpassable", with a -20 score penality. Short and not innovative, but definitively fun and in a slight case, exciting.

-10 score penality; reason: map not playable for the ending.

Total of: 70/100, which is 70% of maximum possible score earned, and sixth out of nine places on scoreboard.
5th place: DeathChef - Eliminate the Terrorist
Not much of originality in here, I have seen a lot of these maps. You haven't done much to impress people, except good terrain manipulations.

*-Map Presentation & Design-* ----------------------- 5/10
You-have-done-whole-map-description-in-one-breath-sentence. And it's not nice, is it? I see what you did there - accepting random placement of starting locations when you got an error. You could have spent some more time on improving the tooltips, icons and visuals, rather than pumping up other, useless things. Quests provide useful info, but they lack some formats. Loading screen is decent, along with custom preview.

One boring tile with rare, few switches to others. Empty, and doodad spam will never look right, but you somehow packed the whole thing with a little ribbon, and it looks decent, going forward to impressive. You used a lot of custom resources. One thing that killed me is that you used huge, square brush to place trees, which doesn't only look ugly, but it's also very unfunctional. Perfect sky and fog usage, and there are not too much animations that can draw away attention.

Clear off leaks, and mostly optimized. Good job.

*-Object Data-* -------------------- 7/10
One MB is a lot for online hosting. You could have avoided some structure imports, and build up your own. All files you used really draw attention, so I haven't gave you too low score.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 20/30
Nothing to customize the game. Not even a simple AI. Map is not playable in single player. But it is fun and exciting, short and stunning.

Total of: 71/100, which is 71% of maximum possible score earned, and fifth out of nine places on scoreboard.
4th place: mckill2009 - Stags on the Run
Very original, but also, not too much. The idea of the map is neatly executed, but all the features you were thinking about aren't. There could have been some things to improve the replayability.

*-Map Presentation & Design-* ----------------------- 6/10
Author name, map name and suggested players are done properly, and you are the only person who linked the map with the contest, both in map description and in the loading screen. However, apart from the fact that you did a good thing, you also leaked some informations about the map itself. Also, most of the tooltips are outdated.

*-Terrain-* ----------------------- 18/25
Very simple and a bit plain. Somewhere, you can see a pretty much of a spam of doodads, the somewhere you can't see a single doodad in a large radius. Some things can't be seen, such as doodads underwater. I think that it's a waste of lines to generate sky and fog via triggers, but that's just my opinion. You lack weather, animations and some custom doodads that will make this map get a brand new visual feeling, apart from what we see every single day.

Not much of what I can complain. You did a great job with optimization.

Not a single import to check. The map size is pretty low, which is nice, but a custom map preview image and some animated doodads will get your map the unique visual feeling.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 24/30
No matter if you play on the easiest or the hardest difficulty, you will face a good amount of excitement and fun. Everything is pretty much balanced. However, the amount of customizations, such as appearance of your hero, is pretty low, excluding difficulty and cinematic. Also, the stags seem to have pretty much large colition, and with your terrain placement, sometimes you will have to go all around to get where you want to, if you haven't boosted Blink. Where are the new features?

Total of: 75/100, which is 75% of maximum possible score earned, and fourth out of nine places on scoreboard.
3rd place: Kino - Worldshaper
A simple defense map with some unique features I haven't seen before. Thought it is only for one player, the amount of variations you can get is neat. The "breathes" was a nice addition to such style.

Author name, map name and suggested players are done properly. However, the map description does not describes what is this map. Also, loading screen is just black. As much as I support it, I would love to see a fitting, ladder screen. Preview image is a bit... off the course, I think. A nice story you got there, evolving with different paths you walk.
Pretty simple, but yet, some details you used, such as blue mushrooms, really killed the boring feeling and got a stunning appearance. Doodads are nice, but the terrain uses only two main variations, in the center where you will look all the time. Some variations and animations, as well as sky would be a nice addition.

Very little amount of leaks, and this is fully optimized.

*-Object Data-* -------------------- 9/10
In the singleplayer, you can grow a size a little more than usual. Some custom doodads would improve visuals, and some custom SE models, or SFX ones could get you the feeling of "Brand new" map. Still, a nice filesize for a singleplayer, and it appears that everything is optimized.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 24/30
This is very, very, very hard. It can make players bash their heads until they complete the map, or make them leave and, sadly, never come back again. There is only one hero to play, and not too much in unit variation, which is perfect for new players. But this gets a bit... tad and boring after some playing. Also, when activating the Breathes, you shouldn't activate that ability for all the units you selected. I lost a game by accidentally doing that. You also need something to get you replayability.

Total of: 84/100, which is 84% of maximum possible score earned, and third out of nine places on scoreboard.
2nd place: Skasi - Wisp Tale: Preserve
Great job on this one, you used a set of different defenses in order to get something new, and you succeeded. Maybe something new and fresh, such as different wisps to choose from would make this map even more interesting and replayable.

Author name, map description, map name, map preview and suggested players are done perfectly, as well as the Loading Screen. You could have used a custom image to cover your map preview, since the map would still be low on size, and it would get an impressive feeling. Also neatly designed quests you have in here. Messages in game were just awful, I have to admit. Remember to use some colors and indents to remove the feeling of Wall of Text.

*-Terrain-* ----------------------- 22/25
Really neatly done. Usage of pathless doodads, custom pathing and animations is looking really nice in here. What I regret is that your skills aren't clearly seen because of set distance, and camera limits towards your defending tree. Sky, weathers and fog are used perfectly. You could have used few imports to enhance your terrain, or add your own original step of creativity to it, since this is nothing I haven't seen before. But it's still quite nice.

*-Triggers, their Efficiency and Performance-* -------- 8/10
Few leaks here and there, but nothing that can ruin gameplay, even after prolonged play.

Not a single import, and this map is still quite impressive.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 25/30
A lot of difficulty modes makes this very fun and replayable, but even on the easiest difficulty, you will eventually start to have some troubles. Very nicely made, and interesting addition to any fun folder of Warcraft maps. However, your map lacks customization other than difficulty. Maybe, as I mentioned before, selection of Damage/Speed/Other wisps could get this map even more replayabilty. It is fun, and it requires a lot of teamplay, but it's not too replayable. I don't know why, but it appears that the game does not get harder until some time passed.

Total of: 85/100, which is 85% of maximum possible score earned, and second out of nine places on scoreboard.
1st place: Tickles - Dark Vestige
I haven't played too many sidescrollers, and I am still convinced that they are something to makes the future maps more original. I even forgot I am playing Warcraft. The originality of the gameplay, along with the brand new lore you wrote in the Quests, and excellent usage of new features, earned you maximum score.

*-Map Presentation & Design-* ----------------------- 9/10
Author name, map description, map name, map preview and suggested players are done perfectly. The only thing I am not sure for is the Loading Screen. Sure, I support the black color - but your logo could have been standing in there, as well as some useful links.

*-Terrain-* ----------------------- 21/25
Stunning, this is indeed a piece of art. Usage of random doodads and smooth transition from one act to another were done with such skills, that I was left with my jaws dropping. However, what I dislike is lack of some colors other than black and green, and some animated doodads. This map could also benefit from the "Day/Night" mode.

The only error I was able to track is the movement, you can see that the camera "Shakes" along with the unit's movement, and that it sometimes get a huge and short misplacement. Good job with leaks.

*-Object Data-* -------------------- 10/10
Since this is a singleplayer, you could have used more variables in doodads to make your terrain more appealing. However, the amount of files is pretty nice and the map size is kept as low as possible. Music files are compressed, but I wish that there were few more. Every import you used is used perfectly.

*-Gameplay-* -------------------- 26/30
Even on easy difficulty, you will have an incredible amount of fun. I played through all difficulties and you really placed a lot of effort to make everything as much balanced as posible. Maybe you could have used some better effects for your spells - and few of them are staying even after the effect ends. What could improve your map is something like riddles and puzzles, or the Stop-go-stop-go movement to avoid certain traps. The only riddle is with the key and the well. What I also got stuck in my mind is that the bosses could use some variation with their skills - especialy the Abomination.

Total of: 90/100, which is 90% of maximum possible score earned, and first out of nine places on scoreboard.

Scorpion182:

Originality:
This map has been done before; at least in a mini-game series like Uther’s Party like maps, I’ve seen it. Although the execution is far better and good use of mc!’s goblin models. The score is given for the more proper execution with however a big reduction for the idea as it’s not new at all.
Map Presentation/Design:
Very good, I haven’t spotted anything that I could complain about. Well-chosen UI changes such as changing the titles of quests and upkeep.
Terrain:
The terrain fits the map perfectly with the techtiles although there would have been better with something around the arena, maybe more high-tech doodads? And the lightnings that connect the pillars with each other when there are less than 4 players are really ugly. Even though you gave them some height, they’re ugly and I would suggest some kind of fence instead or use a modified lightning (follow Softmints tutorial)
Triggers:
Well-chosen libraries while on the other hand, the quicktexttag library is a bit meh. Did you write that one? As you kind of abuse texttags by displaying playernames, there are a few unnecessary calculations that could definitely be avoided. The amount of global variables is a good way to code although set array sizes ([number]) does not work at will still return the array size of 2^13 so those arrays that you tried to set as [3] could actually have been 3 non-arrayed globals and thus take less space. And the host function, it always picks player 1? You cannot use computers anyway (yet)? It’s fine to use questbj and multiboardbj (just had to point that out as a judge).
And the bouncing balls trigger is in desperate need to be better coded. 7 calculations with a 40fps that’s 280 unnecessary calculations per second per ball! Which could have been avoided with a few globals. And the balls bug as well, can even get stuck on a goblin if you stand still (I could even reproduce this one with a computer) and the ball that is stuck can mirror other balls.

Object Data:
Did you forget to remove your custom doodads? There are several of them there. 1 Mb imports for a 4 player map is very good and as we outputs the filesize as lower is even greater. The code size can be reduced by being optimized but there are not much code here to compress. Those pillars seem a bit small, making them a bit bigger would really fit.
Gameplay:
Funny map and lots of action when the time goes. A bit meh when it bugs and the keymovement is pretty slow; especially when you want to turn and move the other way. It lacks of more abilities, speed is not enough. It would have been cool with some other abilities such as making the player (enemy) goes the opposite way or alike. A simple AI here would have been really cool and nothing that is too hard for you to do making a unit move up and down. Although within the contest’s time limit this is acceptable and you also mentioned that it bugs sometimes and it for sure does. Hopefully you upload this to the map section with more features and bugfixes as I can see this as something really cool and probably added into mini-game games like Uther’s Party as mentioned.

Ratings:

Originality: 10/15
Map Presentation/Design: 10/10
Terrain: 12/25
Triggers: 7/10
Object Data: 8/10
Gameplay: 23/30
Overall: 70/100
--------------------
Blazing_Legion:

Originality:
Oh my, this was not a new one – a simple version of defend this towards everything. The idea with attacking the actual builders was good and not the building but on the other hand this was not well executed. Supply boxes also gives a plus and merc of course.
Map Presentation/Design:
No particular changes. Neither quest log nor any in-game hints. How about some tips throughout the game? Tooltips are much like standard wc3 tooltips. The intro cinematic has some errors with the sentences and the boat really should be moving when the camera is panned. And the units are dropped off the ship in an odd order. Also the forces should be renamed. Force 1 and Force 2 are really ugly.
Terrain:
Oh snap the random generation of trees could have been a lot greater. The terrain is a plain circle, no tile variations at all and no doodads at all. And the whole terrain is below sea level. Isn’t an island supposed to be above it?
Triggers:
Memory leaks, uses do nothing and waits but does at least destroy forces. Got a simple tree generation and does include boss ai although it’s poorly coded. Good that you prevented that you cannot attack the workers but hey, you can attack each other! Use other people’s resources; they’re there to help you code your map not work against you. Also it’s possible to evade bosses as they seem to not attack the workers at different points. Although doesn’t matter as the bosses were quite overpowered.
Object Data:
Giant frogs with stupid wc3 scaled buffs. The abilities are quite random on your custom heroes and do not fit each other. And those giant bosses, is that the only way how to show that a unit is a boss by increasing its size?
Gameplay:
It would have been better if it were more fast-phased. Mini-games are mini-games and this is way too slow. The enemy units should either move faster along with your heroes or the map size should be smaller to increase more gaming value. Also more terrain that can change the game would be nice such as pathing blocking thing and such. The game modes are a bit meh as they don’t seem to scale along with the amount of players, I find it rather difficult at normal with 3 players playing; the second boss is almost impossible at normal then.

Ratings:

Originality: 4/15
Map Presentation/Design: 3/10
Terrain: 3/25
Triggers: 2/10
Object Data: 5/10
Gameplay: 9/30
Overall: 26/100
--------------------
DeathChef:

Originality:
If I’ll quote one my friends which summarizes it all about this one: ”This map really has some kick-ass potential, greatest LAN game ever. Funny, fast-phased, well-chosen abilities, nice terrain and an awesome concept renewed. Cannot get better than that.” – Although I’m not really sure how the defend theme goes – somewhat defend yourself as terrorist the whole period. But it surely fits the theme some creepy way. But this hunt thingie has been done before as said and thus I cannot give higher score than this although it’s so well executed. Great work anyway.
Map Presentation/Design:
Only one that actually optimized its map and released two versions which I’m really positive to. Really cool with the UI changes and I would have given you full points here if it wasn’t for the “elomanate” typo which is everywhere aaahhh. Half point off for that as you polished it so great and still you forgot a simple spelling issue.
Terrain:
Wonderful terrain. It’s a bit plain but it fits a village now does it? Custom models for the doodads (shrub got animation as well) and good work with the pathing blockers.Good use of the darker fog and nighttime plus the rain. But there are not much animals for being a village? Pigs and an owl. Nothing else to add here.
Triggers:
Good triggering, nice with replay option. The major flaw here is the ability “system”. A good thing is that you try to keep the event count low although looping thru 10 times is just useless compared to creating a trigger for each and every spell. And also it should skip the remaining actions when it found the spell that is actually firing instead of continuing with the loop. You could also set temporary globals to triggering player, ability being cast and such to reduce amount of function calls.
Object Data:
Lots of imports but they fit the map. The police model and the terrorist model can be discussed. I guess most people would have chosen a goblin sapper as a terrorist and as police? No idea. The units are nice scaled with the environment so nothing there that I can point out. The abilities fit. Goody.
Gameplay:
Really funny map as mentioned in previous statements. It’s a bit big but of course with more players it is necessary. Although more balance is needed, maybe two terrorists when it’s a full game? And when there are lesser players maybe the speed of the units should be increased by a small value due to making the map smaller will not solve it. The replay function is great and is a big feature of this map.

Ratings:

Originality: 13/15
Map Presentation/Design: 9,5/10
Terrain: 23,5/25
Triggers: 8/10
Object Data: 10/10
Gameplay: 26/30
Overall: 90/100
--------------------
Tickles:

Originality:
Gret map, not the commonly seen in a defense genre. Cool features which fits really well, especially the annoying whip sound (which is awesome at first and sucks in the end :p).
Map Presentation/Design:
Good changes, good intro cinematic, nice tooltips, custom attribute system. The only thing I actually found was that the gold/wood/food icons weren’t passives (as you changed them and used them with a purpose). And also the name of the forces should have been renamed really. But I’ll give a half point reduction for these.
Terrain:
Stupid that I opened this one, what was I’m supposed to see from above? From playing view it’s great. Good darkness theme which fits well and doodads that lights up time to time (green fire pitties?). The terrain is also used in the gameplay (e.g. breaking gates) which is definitely a big plus.
Triggers:
Useless arrayed variables; you will never use the amount of 2^13 in the index. Just create the amount of variables you need, will take less space as well. Also set a temporary global as e.g. picked unit would fit its place here. Corpse Lord leaks a special effect. A bit choppy knockback system at the magus. The camera forcing the player a different angle runs 100 times a second, why? I don’t think anyone will notice any difference between a period of 0.03 or 0.04. And waits don’t work below ~0.27 seconds.
Object Data:
6 mb of imports, yeah yeah it’s single player. Icons to the abilities have a nice colored theme (green) and also fit well. Good with the credits. Good with the scale except the frost wyrm which seem a bit small compared to the other units. You cannot blame distance here now can ya?
Gameplay:
Funny map. The Easter eggs are cool (did only find two before looking at the triggers  ) and a good feature to add some variety. The movement system could be better, turning around is awkward. Also why is the main unit paused when casting whip as cooldown. It’s very disturbing although those 0.5 might be casting time but I would have made a different work around. Cool with the difficulties and good mentioned that you should save very often as sudden mistakes can defeat you (it did to me lots of times). AND WHY DOES IT END LIKE IT DOES AAAAAHHHHHH?!?!?!?!?!! :’(

Ratings:

Originality: 15/15
Map Presentation/Design: 9,5/10
Terrain: 25/25
Triggers: 8/10
Object Data: 9,9/10
Gameplay: 28/30
Overall: 95,4/100
--------------------
Skasi:

Originality:
Really cool concept with the wisps detonating. Nice features and good that the drops are timed. This run and blow yourself up, only thought it applied to goblins…
Map Presentation/Design:
Great work here as well. But I’d say that the gold/wood/food icons do not go well together. Wood and food (level) does but the tree isn’t fitting at all. And it’s not passive either. But the food level representing the current difficulty is a big plus. But there are a few spelling errors as well. One point. Great intro cinematic by the way.
Terrain:
Great terraining. A few spots like the start of the river, suddenly from nowhere (yes there’s a fountain as well but)? Why need a bridge when the river is walkable :p (no reduction for this, just saying)? Cool that you made it all with standard wc3 models and no imports even when wc3 trees are so ugly but hey they go with the terrain. Good tile variation. Great.
Triggers:
Leaks a location each time you cast instant detonation (which I did a lot before I reviewed this). Each time the other detonation spell is trigger you leak a unit group and a location. These two are the main triggers in the whole game and spoils a lot of points. Also another one is each time a unit is spawned; it leaks a location as well. Leaks more than that but these are the main ones. Besides from all the leaks, it looks fine to me, nothing major.
Object Data:
No imports, very low file size – ideal for multiplayer gaming. Many would say more terrain affecting models but I think you made it quite nice without it. Everything is supposed to look smaller and it’s a cool feature. A bit custom icons would have been nice but it’s ok.
Gameplay:
Very funny gameplay, at higher difficulties (75+) it’s insanely stressing and funny. Really great with the difficulty system which really fits the map. It didn’t lagg at all even after we played when we knew about the memory leaks. It’s a bit confusing how close a unit can come to the tree when it does full damage and when it doesn’t. I’m a bit worried about the tree in the bottom right corner. If it wasn’t for the camera lock you could almost reach into the roots of the world tree  but then you’re just stupid and lose. An AI here would be awesome like the computer players shares the wood or starts repairing. Great map.

Ratings:

Originality: 11/15
Map Presentation/Design: 9/10
Terrain: 25/25
Triggers: 4/10
Object Data: 10/10
Gameplay: 26/30
Overall: 85/100
--------------------
bowser499:

Originality:
I don’t really get the concept with this map. Is it to defend yourself against the creeps? You know that the creeps cannot find you when you are at the left part of the playable map? It’s not really defending as me and my buddies just stood there, pulling – retreat – pulling- retreat to kill all the creeps, worked everytime. Anyway common defend yourself map and not the best execution of it.
Map Presentation/Design:
This map could use some work here. The lightning hero got a green icon on the multiboard, a few more hints at the start wouldn’t hurt. No real changes to the UI, nothing in the questlog either.
Terrain:
I find the terrain… good (There’s a lightning bolt within the largest pillar lol)? The help me stuff on the ground is pretty useless, why not just give the users a normal hint instead? These (sausages) shouldn’t they be close to water? You have a lot of them around on the ground and a bit too much sunken in sunken ruins themed terrain here now is it not? And I don’t find those human knight statues very fitting with the terrain. Probably azhara statue would have been better here. The boss section is very empty. Trees, destructables, maybe a few animated doodads here? Eye of guldan?
Triggers:
Good use of JASS triggering such as a destroyeffect timed function. Although you leak events each time a unit dies. A standard damage detection system could solve this. In addition to this, the map bugs, I’ve tested it multiple times and it happen every single time I played it even with my buddies, at the first boss when it takes damage, it gains invulnerability and it is never removed. I don’t know if this is only happening to me and my testing crew or to everybody but it’s a pain as I would love to play the whole map.
Object Data:
One green icon what I could spot. Almost 1 mb filesize so that’s normal. Abilities fit and the icons as well except the icon for the lightning hero. The skins fit very well. Enemy units as well.
Gameplay:
The mode in the start should display what features it will do. And also when choosing heroes the wisp should be selected and centered for the camera. Those details are really important and this map lacks of them. Also the hero selection is confusing – I have absolutely no idea what the heroes’ spells are. Maybe do some influence based on warchasers here? The gameplay is a bit slow, camping fountain is what we did. And most of the times the units just walked to a spot and stood there instead of chasing us.

Ratings:

Originality: 5/15
Map Presentation/Design: 4/10
Terrain: 19/25
Triggers: 2/10
Object Data: 8/10
Gameplay: 15/30
Overall: 53/100
--------------------
Kino:

Originality:
Typical defend map but with a twist that is really unique, nothing I’ve seen before. To use the units true potential by exploading them was an ingenious move that made this map so much better. Great.
Map Presentation/Design:
The intro text is a bit fast for me although I guess this is something that changes from person to person. Modified attribute system and an intro. Although there are a few abilities that should have auto borders such as Fulmination.
Terrain:
I love the terrain, it’s so fitting BUT WHY THOSE UGLY MUSHROOMS?!?!  And they’re put onto the middle of the ground. Cool with the spawn points and also those lava erupting thingies. You tried with tile variation but I find it quite much of the same tile all the time but even if it may be an deserted island it can contain a bit more?
Triggers:
You leak 30 unitgroups at initialization but a part from that I couldn’t spot anymore leaks. Wave system much like the system used in Winter Maul (for those who does not know) although much much much better. However at the spawn (north one) units could get stuck, happen to me twice in the same game – always an air unit but now it will not happen so I guess it happens occasionally. Good work.
Object Data:
Elemental models fit each other very well. Researching elemental damage lvl 2 bugs because it requires a tech. Enemy units has a nice theme. Good overall.
Gameplay:
A bit of intro or hints about the units would be nice instead of reading the tooltips. Took me years to figure out the multitasking and also you can tab in the party but that’s another thing. A bit strange with the map saying towns in the quests; now I didn’t find any town. The gameplay is quite funny with the idea but a bit slow and I am loosing very often  for some unknown reason.

Ratings:

Originality: 12/15
Map Presentation/Design: 7/10
Terrain: 16/25
Triggers: 5/10
Object Data: 9/10
Gameplay: 22/30
Overall: 71/100
--------------------
mckill2009:

Originality:
Defending stags all around the map was a cool idea. I’m a bit disappointed about the abilities; I don’t find it fitting to be normal object editor abilities. But the map is a bit large for this kind of gameplay.
Map Presentation/Design:
The initial loading screen could carry some nice info more than that it’s your entry. The questlog contains a lot information which is good. Initial intro is good as well. But the windwalk tooltip is not correct. It says dealing 100 damage when it is actually dealing 50 damage.
Terrain:
I find it fitting the map’s idea but why create a mountain (good not using standard blizzard) when you cannot walk on it? Mountain goes eye-candy? And I find the bridge not fitting, it’s so plain. You could have created a bit doodads and rose them to the bridge level. But the terrain seem quite random, like you made the tile variation as random as possible. And the woods contains more trees? (but it would probably affect the gameplay so much if done).
Triggers:
A mix of GUI/JASS/vJASS. Not the greatest thing to do I would say as things might screw up. You leak two locations at the initial point but as you mentioned “only ran once” so it’s not that gamechanging. The camera system bugged for me and my mates yet it is fine when played single. With my mates it struck me if I selected it before them then their screen was stuck for an eternity aka till we restarted the minute after. Who is the owner to the PlayerColors library? It is not mentioned in the credits as the other ones are and at the same time you don’t have it among your own libraries. And it’s bad as well :p. The code of all your libraries needs to be upgraded with static ifs else it’s pointless with those constant Booleans.
Object Data:
I would like to have a custom model for the defenders although not necessary (no point reduction for this). No imports, standard wc3 icons, most standard spells as well (except those triggered). More custom material would have fit this map more a part from the hero model mentioned at first.
Gameplay:
I only accomplished to play this thru on single player. The multiboard is really nice as it tracks most valuable stuff. A bit slow phased as you do minimal damage and why cannot I cast my spells on myself? The windwalk is the most centered ability in this game and that should be changed. The custom camera system should be cool if you could switch between them like having a Boolean switching them.

Ratings:

Originality: 8/15
Map Presentation/Design: 6,5/10
Terrain: 15/25
Triggers: 6/10
Object Data: 9/10
Gameplay: 18/30
Overall: 62,5/100
--------------------
ltkp:

Originality:
You know that your mapname (the name of the file) was way too long to be accepted by the engine so it didn’t show up in my maplist. But I’ll let this one slide thru and judge this as well.
But on the other hand I am really happy that I did that. Because this map was indeed awesome. The idea of blocking creeps have been done by creating different pathblockers and of course with spells but this one was greater than anything I’ve played when it comes to blocking. Fast-phased as it should be, nice amount of spells – a bit short play duration but doesn’t make it worse now does it? Excellent.

Map Presentation/Design:
There should be a loading screen here as it could contain much information so you’re ready for battle at start. There are a few spelling errors as well.
Terrain:
Blizzard cliffs, plain terrain, no animated doodads (except the birds at the undead). The statue in the middle is also walkable? Reaching it would have been enough. And it looks like you tried to create it a bit symmetric but it ended placing random cliff height at the outer borders?
Triggers:
An amount of memory leaks which has been forgot to be fixed as you cleared most of the leaks. The code needs to be a bit more polished as how it’s now it’s not acceptable. Good thing is that the spells are custom, another bad thing is that you have not credited Bribe for his unit indexing library nor the knockback library of his.
Object Data:
The creeper icon is a bit meh, could have been a bit zoomed. I don’t see any credits for the models nor the custom icons. Now that is bad and you are repeating your mistake here. The missiles shooten’ out of the missile launcher are a bit oversized and should be smaller. Entengle roots? Don’t you meen entangling roots? And missel should be missile? Could have been better here.
Gameplay:
The gameplay is really fast here and it’s great. A bit unclear what to do in the start but when you realize it, it gets better. Although the spawns are set from the initialization making it possible to block them rather easily especially the murloc spawn which only have one path while the others have more or bigger. This map should be bigger and have multiple player spots available. This being a single player map is a bit confusing for me as it would be more fun with the confusion when being many players. There is apparently only one difficulty which is kind of sad when you played it a multiple times and know all the tricks. More heroes would be cool as well and another hero choosing system.

Ratings:

Originality: 13/15
Map Presentation/Design: 5,5/10
Terrain: 9/25
Triggers: 3/10
Object Data: 6/10
Gameplay: 19/30
Overall: 55,5/100
--------------------

((Votes / 14) * 30) + ((Judge 1 + Judge 2) * (70 / 200))

Fixed

scorpion182: ((4 / 14) * 30) + ((70 + 66) * (70 / 200)) = 56.1714286

Blazing_Legion: ((0 / 14) * 30) + ((26 + 37) * (70 / 200)) = 22.05

DeathChef: ((2 / 14) * 30) + ((90 + 71) * (70 / 200)) = 60.6357143

Tickles: ((4 / 14) * 30) + ((95,4 + 90) * (70 / 200)) = 73,4614286

Skasi: ((1 / 14) * 30) + ((85 + 85) * (70 / 200)) = 61.6428571

bowser499: ((1 / 14) * 30) + ((53 + 70) * (70 / 200)) = 45.1928571

Kino: ((0 / 14) * 30) + ((71 + 84) * (70 / 200)) = 54.25

mckill2009: ((1 / 14) * 30) + ((62,5 + 75) * (70 / 200)) = 50,2678571

ltkp: ((1 / 14) * 30) + ((55,5 + 57) * (70 / 200)) = 41,5178571

Ranking:

1. Tickles
2. Skasi
3. DeathChef
4. scorpion182
5. Kino
6. mckill2009
7. bowser499
8. ltkp
9. Blazing_Legion

prizes.png

• First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

Contest entries:

*Goblin Crush Ball - scorpion182
*Island Protection - Blazing_Legion
*Eliminate the Terrorist - DeathChef
*Dark Vestige - Tickles
*Wisp Tale: Preserve - Skasi
*MiniOaD - bowser499
*Worldshaper - Kino
*SOTR - mckill2009
*Block your Enemy - ltkp

First Place: Tickles
Second Place: Skasi
Third Place: DeathChef

Poll l Contest

Last edited:
Level 25
Oh wow, I haven't been logging on enough lately :xxd: But yay, results! Congratulations Skasi and DeathChef for second and third place. This was a very fun and motivational contest. By the way, where or how would I choose an icon for the contest? I'm totally new to Hive contests. Can it be any icon relating to the map?

Edit: Wow, I just read through all the judging. No wonder it took a while to complete. Good job checking all the little details, judges :thumbs_up: And I'll work on the glitchy or incomplete parts mentioned for my map before posting it in the map development section.

Level 6
Doh! I nearly forgot about this. Weee, how did I end up second? And and, if I hadn't forgotten to vote then Kino would've even ended up fourth?

Apheraz Lucent, thanks for the useful review! I didn't want to use text colors ingame because they might be hard to read for some players. I always get mad when I'm having problems reading text because the background terrain is nearly the same color. Again, thanks for your wall of text review! ;)

baassee, youuu need to tell me where there's spelling errors.

Level 29
since baassee is asking, I dont mind answering...
The camera system bugged for me and my mates yet it is fine when played single. With my mates it struck me if I selected it before them then their screen was stuck for an eternity aka till we restarted the minute after.
I just found it now, I didnt test it in multiplayer but I fixed it already (sadly the contest is over)...

Who is the owner to the PlayerColors library?
I really dunno, I just found it out in the internet, forgot what website it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.