• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Milkshape - 2 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hello everyone,
I recently started to do some models, and read some tutorials for Milkshape here and there.
I finally made a model and added texture and stuff. For now the model works and is shown with textures in Wc3Viewer.

My first problem is, I can't upload the model here on THW, because the model has no name, but I seriously don't know how to do this. Where can I give the model a name? tried to rename some parts, but without any results..

my other problem is, that I renamed the Texture to "white.blp" like it's standing in the *.mdl file. I tried to rename it to "MODELNAME.blp" but then the model disappears, no model, no texture. So I renamed it back to white.blp and the model is still gone.. so I re-exported it and it worked again, so I renamed my *.blp file to white and it works with texture..
But I don't want to use the white.blp for all my models. Also it would cause some problems using more than one model in a map, because all use the white.blp file.. so I definetly have to rename it..

What am I doing wrong? When I rename the white.blp (opened with Notepad) within the *.mdl file the model don't work anymore.. but all files are at the right paths and have the right names.. I watched it with Wc3Viewer, haven't tried another Viewer, yet. But it also don't works InGame..

Thanks in advance,
SlyRipper aKa Tr!KzZ

Level 4
How do you do this that your model texture is display in Wc3 viewer?
You must change the name of your model in mdl file there were you have "Milkshapeexporter" something like that.
You must rename the texture before you will export your model. I do this that:
I have created texture put it in my model and then rename it.
Sorry for my English.

Level 18
EDIT:

Ok works now. For all, that are having trouble with this, here's how I solved it:

Make the Model with Milkshape and do everything till it's ready to export, then export it as *.mdl
After you've done, create your Texture, and name it like you want (Modelname.blp) after that
create a folder and name it like the Model, place the mdl file in it and the blp file, you now can
create a Texture folder if you leave the path like it is. Now you're done with the setup, open the
*.mdl file with rightclick >> notepad and rename the "Milkshapeexported" part to your Modelname,
after that replace the "white.blp" with modelname.blp (the name you like) and save it.
Now you have to convert it into a *.mdx file to upload it here. I used War3FileConverter for it,
and it worked. You're done. The Model is also shown with all Textures in Wc3Viewer..

EDIT2:
ok it works everywhere, except in wc3, the model is still white oO
But Wc3Viewer shows everything fine, the model and also the texture, wtf?!

Last edited:
Level 18
How about doing it manually in magos or in notepad?

What do you mean? I'm really new to modelling, I just started by following some tutorials.
I can do some easy models now, but only by using the tutorial steps.. creating vertices and placinf faces on it.. and so on.. and hope that it works at the end..

So could you please explain what I could do to fix that? I also don't get why it's working in Wc3 Viewer, he displays the model like it should, but as I tested it within a Wc3 Map, the model was white?! Please post some step by step solutions if possible, I'm not very experienced with doing models..

(The models are on THW, search for --> Rebellion or Blade of Faith)

Status
Not open for further replies.