• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Militia Madness - Footman Frenzy genre map with a few small twists to gameplay and design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So this is my own take on the Footman Frenzy genre, with gameplay tweeks and changes that focus on micro play, a more strategic approach to the game overall, and a series of features to stimulate competition sprinkled in, with more on the way.

I uploaded this to the map section without fully understanding the way the site worked, and have decided to delete that one and add this here.

Here's the write-up I made for the map upload:

Militia Madness is a micro-focused, build-oriented take on the Footmen Frenzy formula that addresses a number of issues I have with most releases of the genre.

Version 0.1 Alpha
  • The map includes five basic tech trees.
  • Melee heroes with some small tweeks to make them work in the map (Force of Nature no longer uses trees, etc;,)
  • The camera is drawn back from the outdated, close quarters camera of the base game.
  • Gameplay features including small incentives to explore and control the center of the map
  • A handful of custom heroes.
  • A basic system of hero selection, upgrade paths, and victory/defeat.
  • A small set of instructions on the basics of the map found in the quest menu.
  • A number of terrain features to add complexity to combat.
  • Vision system.
  • Bounty system for unit and hero kills.
  • A basic item system including a player shop and two neutral shops in the center with randomized items
  • A basic AI for testing and experimentation that uses teir-0 units and attacks the center of the map sometimes

Roadmap - basic features on the way
  • More tech trees.
  • Expand on existing tech trees.
  • Further incentives to actually go to the middle of the map.
  • A whole bunch of heroes with no real plan except to explore ideas I find interesting, and include some form of every basic unit ability from the melee experience.

Requests for this wonderful community
  • Any feedback is welcome and appreciated in the comments.
  • If you are curious about how I did something, either ask or take a look!
  • If you ever want to host a match, I would love to participate if I have the time.
  • Suggestions are welcome and appreciated...all art is communal and the best art acknowledges that.
  • Any and all bugs no matter how insignificant in the comments please! I like to do things well if I can and I'm just not going to catch everything on my own, especially with a group-based map that I test alone.
  • Original content donut steal ;)

Hope you enjoy, please share any feedback you may have, and if you want to know about any choices or what have you let me know!

UPDATE LOG:

• Improved the AI functionality to move in small groups
  • Improved AI by giving them the beginnings of a unique tech path
  • Added a couple of new heroes
  • Moved the shops to small nooks (let me know if keeping the fog of war is a good idea....I'm feeling like adding vision to it)
  • Fixed some bugs with the heroes, improved a hero
  • Fixed some small bugs I found while testing

Attachments

• MilitiaMadnessRelease1.w3m
    135.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.