• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metastasis

Metastasis
In a research sector of the United Security Initiative known only as 198X2, a group of scientists and station personnel are assaulted by an unknown threat. As their colleagues die one by one, they must fight to survive and figure out who is doing this to them, and how to stop it.

The Game
Metastasis is best described as a survival game. At the start, one or several players will be secretly selected as your opponents. You will be placed within a space station in the sector 198X2 and must figure out who is the enemy, and kill him before he kills you and your fellow humans.

Depending on the number of players in the game, there will be one or several enemies.
1-4 players: A lone enemy, who will either be a former researcher mutating rapidly into a cunning adversary, or an alien organism killing off station workers for unknown reasons.
5-9 players: Both the mutant and the alien work to kill your team as well as each other. Only one side can stand victorious.
10-12 players: The mutant and the alien are once again your adversaries, but rumors abound of a cold, metallic killer waiting to rise and annihilate every living thing in the sector.

Humans
To aid you in your fight, you have a myriad of station resources and your own education to assist you.
Being a research group in a theoretically dangerous sector, stations are equipped with state of the art military supplies, including many types of combat suits of varying abilities. You have been trained to use these suits, albeit only against the organisms on the local planet. No doubt you can adapt them to perform other, more murderous tasks. There is also an assortment of defensive and offensive weaponry, from stationary turrets and force shield generators to grenades and mighty fusion bombs.
You also carry your life experience and career with you. There are nine possible careers assigned to you at the beginning of the game, from researchers with various doctorates to a visiting captain of the battlecruiser Swagger to the lowly local janitor. Each career provides a unique benefit and alters your initial equipment and monetary income.

Enemies
The mutant and alien both have strong physical capabilities. Each is capable of overpowering an unequipped human easily. However, they are alone, and hate each other as much as they hate humans. The mutant and the alien both sport an ever changing genetic code- within the span of mere hours they can change their physical and mental makeup drastically. As the game goes on, each will slowly evolve into more powerful forms. Eliminating them early will prevent them from overpowering you with massive strength, dominant mental abilities, or swarms of minion-like organisms.

Infection
The mutant has the ability to evolve a infectious called a prion. By weakening the human body, the prion eventually forces a genetic change in the host, altering it to serve the original mutant and take its form.
The alien also has a similar parasitic microorganism it launches into humans, slowly weakening them and eventually eating them away. By doing so, the parasite grows into a facsimile of the original alien, while retaining traces of the infectee's personality, though twisted into serving the alien leader.

Stations
Featured in the sector are four space stations and a planet situated around a single star. Each station has unique capabilities and can be visited at any time by using one of several types of spaceships or escape pods. The largest station is the U.S.I. Queen Niffy, which boasts a large infrastructure and fleet of spaceships, as well as many curious research labs dedicated to the sector. Other stations include the Arbitress, an advanced sensors station, the Kyo Station, which is a container for the experimental Kyo Cannon spatial artillery platform, an old unused station now scheduled for demolition. These are all situated around the orbit of the local planet Minertha, a terraformed but as yet uncolonized planet. A small military station was set up some time ago, but no one currently occupies it.
A battlecruiser from the U.S.I. fleet is also currently visiting the sector.

Credits
An extensive list of credits for the artwork featured in the game can be found within the F9 menu of the game. Special thanks needs to be given to to Clan Sirs, Catar, DarkLink_Rper, EnragedBullfrog, OmeedESF, Mooglefrooglian, mrzwach, lorg, Aenir, Scruffymurphy, Jarkill, InfernoInfernal, and especially Kodua.

UPDATE (1.8.2):
-See changelog at http://thegoodsirs.net
I don't even anymore

Keywords:
parasite, who'sthealien, mystery, alien, mutant, space
Contents

Metastasis (Map)

Reviews
00:56, 30th Jul 2009 Linaze: Lacks a proper description.
Level 12
Ok, you got a piece of mind there, like many others do not. Forgive my rudeness. Well, I don't like much the game myself, but it is a good game. By the way, you forgot the roles. And the power system. And well, you see, if you posted that in the forums you would perhaps be listened. Not sure, but if you reviewed it, it means that you want it to improve. So talking to Catar and FelFox about those may lead or to 1. Drastic changes in the game. Propably it will turn out to be other game, cause too many people like it how it is already. (like transforming Dota into a TD) 2. You will see WHY many things you appointed are like that, and may or may not change your mind.

Edit: Sheepyship sucks.

Level 4
I am not going to go overboard and say that it is a full fledged bootleg copy of the game, but anyone with reasonable intelligence can see that metastasis has been heavily inspired by parasite in many aspects of its game play.
Never denied by us. What's your point by restating it?
You still have aliens evolving in the same tech tree fashion as parasite, you still have "combat suits" being utilized as weapons, the item setup is roughly the same, the only truly innovating thing that really adds to the game is all the different space ships, planets, and how players interact with it all, but even that isn't saying much. If there was something really innovating about the game, then I would say so, but for me its just Parasite: Advance.
Is there a problem with it being a more advanced version of Parasite? Again, we've never denied being influenced by it. I will restate that I was formerly a shaman in DarkShoGun's original clan. (DarkShoGun is the developer of the original Parasite) We took ideas from it, obviously, and tried to take it a step further and polish it more. And fix all the bugs and glitches and lagspikes, of course.

He or she can try :p
He, thank you. And why would I want to? Flamewars are such a stupid waste of time. Intelligent debate, sure. Flamewar, no thank you.

Level 5
Catar, that has been my point, and why I consider it not very original. Well, thanks for proving my point. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no mentioning of metastasis being influenced by Parasite in the quest menu.

Last edited:
Level 13
I hereby banish all vain people from this thread.

Goodbye, Cronos.

Credits to tleno for cool post. Also, zerg = tyranid, tyranid = zerg according to zerg vs tyranid topic.

Level 4
Catar, that has been my point, and why I consider it not very original. Well, thanks for proving my point. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no mentioning of metastasis being influenced by Parasite in the quest menu.

If you consider it not very original, then by all means don't play. No one's forcing you (probably). Also, why must we give credits to Parasite? In that case:
Parasite ripped off Who's the Alien?
Who's the Alien? ripped off Mafia! (Mafia the game you played in real life, not the map)
Mafia ripped off the real mafia!
We're stealing from the mob!

Anyway, since fun is a purely subjective measure, arguments based on whether or not the map is fun are rather useless. Don't tell us to "make it more fun", tell us to "add _____ because it could be interesting in situations like _____"

Level 5
If you consider it not very original, then by all means don't play. No one's forcing you (probably). Also, why must we give credits to Parasite? In that case:
Parasite ripped off Who's the Alien?
Who's the Alien? ripped off Mafia! (Mafia the game you played in real life, not the map)
Mafia ripped off the real mafia!
We're stealing from the mob!

Anyway, since fun is a purely subjective measure, arguments based on whether or not the map is fun are rather useless. Don't tell us to "make it more fun", tell us to "add _____ because it could be interesting in situations like _____"
I don't play it much to begin with, not because it is unoriginal, but because it isn't consistently fun. There's a much larger margin of difference when you compare Parasite to Who's the alien than Metastasis to Parasite. The only thing Parasite bases off in who's the alien is the alien, dna testing, and spawning... every other aspect in parasite is completely different, and even then who's the alien is still credited for influencing Parasite. And who's the alien has NOTHING to do with Real Life, where on earth did you get the idea it was ripped from it? If it were me modding this map, I could make it many times more enjoyable.

So what? Bllizard didn't gave any credits to Warhammer creators altrough you don't have to be a genius to understand that zerg = tyranid and other things like that... and why we should listen to you if you are just a liar who lied to everyone he's a DSG and stole few maps from their creators?

Okay... please... just stop right there with all these crazy and false accusations. I am not replying back to you ever again if you keep at it. Also, starcraft came before dawn of war /ULTIMATE FACE PALM

Last edited:
Level 13
Who's the Alien, like EVERYTHING ELSE, has EVERYTHING to do with real life.

Also, the mob ripped off organized crime, which ripped off insanity, which ripped off the human mindset. Therefore, all games rip off their creator! O:<

Level 13
Okay. Seriously.

My anger level is now much too high.

Quit the originality bullshit - we all know originality is, as of today, non-existent. It has been done before, and it will be again. This counts for everything.

Metastasis was influenced by Parasite, which in turn was influenced by a large number of other things. You're acting as if Metastasis is Satan's right hand whereas Parasite is Jesus.

Level 4
I don't play it much to begin with
So why are you here, again?

If it were me modding this map, I could make it many times more enjoyable.
I direct you towards the availability of that option on our forum. Please apply and show ability to mod in sufficient skill to handle Fel's terrible-to-read coding.

Also, starcraft came before dawn of war /ULTIMATE FACE PALM
I must correct this because I love W40K. Dawn of War the video game series did indeed come after Starcraft. However, Warhammer 40K the tabletop game, as based off of Warhammer the tabletop game, was originally released in 1987. In the very first edition (1987), there was mention of Tyranids, but only as an occasional alien enemy and not as a full race. They were added a few editions later, still well ahead of the release of StarCraft.

/COUNTER ULTIMATE FACE PALM

edit: TwistedImage, cease any and all responses to accusations of unoriginality. It's just a waste of time.

Level 13
You should, tleno.

But, God forbid, don't ask questions. You will be flamed down by eleven thousand angry posts.

Basically, act like you know it all!

Level 12
I know, it sucks. Horribly. You'll get used to it though. (Most of them are plain dumb people with no directions and nothing to do except the normal forum infestation. Some exceptions are the type you're looking for: informative, can think of good suggestions, have a good judgement, etc. Half of them are already Moderators.)

Level 20
Hmmmm... don't scare me, I already doubt if I should join that forum... oh, actually I even tough that such ideas as relinking the teleport from Niffy to derelict station and probably other kind of additions to derelict station...

Everything is permitted there,even advertising :slp: (Not really permitted,but no one minds rules)
And i've noticed they don't take anyone's ideas and suggestions,only bug reports.

Level 4
Everything is permitted there,even advertising :slp: (Not really permitted,but no one minds rules)
And i've noticed they don't take anyone's ideas and suggestions,only bug reports.

We actually definitely take suggestions, it's just that most suggestions are too overpowered or don't fit the game quite right.

For example, the Force Suit, formerly known as the Kinetic Suit, was a suggestion from a forum member that was implemented and is now one of the most popular suits.

Also, not everything is permitted on our forum. We delete anything we find offensive or inappropriate, and give warnings and eventually bans. Trust me, that forum would look a lot worse if we didn't moderate it at all.

Level 13
We actually definitely take suggestions, it's just that most suggestions are too overpowered or don't fit the game quite right.

For example, the Force Suit, formerly known as the Kinetic Suit, was a suggestion from a forum member that was implemented and is now one of the most popular suits.

Also, not everything is permitted on our forum. We delete anything we find offensive or inappropriate, and give warnings and eventually bans. Trust me, that forum would look a lot worse if we didn't moderate it at all.

TrueMalice also got some implemented.

Level 2
You people are wrong... Firstly, Parasite is half-abandoned project now. Someone had to retake the position of the most popular whos the alien map... secondly, the terrain is better than Parsites actually, plus this one has more of an a replay value - this one has events and, well, its more fun to travel between space stations than to walk around some space station that looks more like a labirinth... Balance? Oh please, Metastasis is beeing constantly updated, Parasite was not updated for long, long time... Secret Items? Pft, those are not all you know, some are really hard to get... and only few know about that... and why do you think Sheepyship is inbalanced, huh?
sheepyship has nothing to do in space or aliens/mutants games
is like seeing a soldier with a gun that shoots sheeps, crazy eh?:eekani:
-Gonzalo444

Level 4
Easter eggs are a time honored classic of video gaming. Do not criticize them, especially when they don't give any advantage to a single player for knowing them.

Level 27
Yeah, actually easter eggs make the game more fun because searching for them is fun, secondly all sucssesfull games in video game industry had not matching their style easter eggs, like all three... no wait four fallout games, Arcanum (Made by same guy as Fallout 1 and 2, you can even find a grave of anclave soldier...), most of Half Life games, such serious games as GTA 4 or Hitman blood money... actually its pointless to tell all the games with easter egg - it would take a whole day and... if a great game can have a great easter egg, why can't a custom map have one?

Level 3
wow i just saw first comment page.....i didint knew i had an coment on the best whos the alien??? like map btw i found an well idk if its an bug or not when u use the Teleport Device while u pilot arbi u get TPED whit the console o_O btw garfield also told that he got killed from nothing on that new black ship...(i dont remember the name)he suddenly died from nothing.......anyway 5/5 epic map^^

Level 20
@tleno
Well,in couple of games i played,the new...station/ship seem to appear after a bit of time or am i wrong?
and about "What is it?",it's half station,half ship,it has good damage,it's small,nothing special in it,has only pods,but not docking platforms and may receive "neurotoxin" upgrade from moon which gives it new ability to flood target ship or station with toxins slowly dealing damage to all life forms inside (deals damage to humans,alien,mutant,but not android).