• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MDL/X Converter for Reforged Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
There is no such thing as Reforged MDL (unless a Blizzard employee can say otherwise).
In addition, tools that came before Reforged such as MDLX Converter won't be able to read the MDX at all.

If you still feel the need to text edit models, it means the existing tools are simply inadequate. Did you try Retera's model studio? (it's in this subforum)

Level 29
By no Reforged MDL I mean there are just no new keywords and values (that I know of) for Reforged.
If you have a model with a FaceFX face animation, or a PopcornFX particle emitter, or a Reforged geoset/material, there is just no way to convert that to MDL that is legit MDL the game can read.

By no Reforged MDL I mean there are just no new keywords and values (that I know of) for Reforged.
If you have a model with a FaceFX face animation, or a PopcornFX particle emitter, or a Reforged geoset/material, there is just no way to convert that to MDL that is legit MDL the game can read.

I only wanted .mdl format models so I could easily change the texture paths, but Retera's model studio works so I'm just using that.

Level 29
Just as an update - catch me by surprise, because Reforged does actually have new MDL tokens.
I made a simple MDX<->MDL converter client, maybe I'll add it to my viewer garbage bin, although I still believe you should prefer to use a proper program and not MDL (and if the program is not good enough for you, pester its creator to improve it :p)

Level 12
@Footman16 : I would still recommend you to follow this thread closely Model Optimizer and Converter v1.1.3 as @loktar is working hard on releasing a tool that will support proper MDL tokens.
The difference between "official " MDL tokens and those @Retera had to "guess" might still be problematic, but the tool is bound to become a reference.

For someone who often likes to do some quick MDL editing on models, this is godsend.

Level 29
We did end up testing the new MDL tokens (not the made up ones), and they all work.
I have a simple converter at MDX <-> MDL but there are probably still small problems like missing flags or what not.
I am assuming Retera already updated his code or will do so in the near future.
That being said, editing MDLs directly is still silly.

Level 12
Yes I understand what you mean.
But to be honest, there is no tool for model editing that I currently master.
I can't afford 3dsmax, don't want to get a pirated copy, love the idea of Blender but I feel like a 3-year old trying to drive a Bus.

I am learning, but at a slow pace because modeling is just a fraction of all the work I do in my map.
There are still small things that are much easier for me to do in Notepad++ on MDL files, but I don't mean to always work this way.

For the moment, the only tools I feel comfortable with are Retera's MSRH, Magos's Model Editor and .. Notepad++ :D

Should I still learn basic animation with MDLVis ? I like Reforged (well lat least let's say the parts that work), but I am not obsessed with it, and I don't think I need the new tokens to build simple geometric models for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.