• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maximum texture resolution supported by Reforged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone knows the maximum texture resolution supported by Reforged? I managed to port Starcraft I tiles last year and I want to port Starcraft II tiles this time.

In classic (pre 1.32) the game only supports up to 512x512 texture resolution, importing the tiles with a resolution beyond that limit pretty much resizes back to 512x512 in the game and in the editor, but I don't know if this is still a case in reforged. Does reforged support higher resolutions (1024x1024 or 2048x2048)? I know it uses new image format now (.dds) so I assume that maybe, possibly, it supports higher resolution.

I am also planning to port the texture layers aswell (diffuse, normals etc.) for reforged (even if I don't have Reforged myself but I can test it in the editor so no worries) & lower resolution version for classic.

Last edited:
If I don't remember incorrectly I believe 4k textures are supported.

In classic (pre 1.32) the game only supports up to 512x512 texture resolution, importing the tiles with a resolution beyond that limit pretty much resizes back to 512x512 in the game and in the editor
I'm pretty sure .tga textures can go beyond this without being rescaled. Don't quote me on it though.

EDIT: Nvm, didn't see that you specifically talked about tiles. Tiles needs to be blp so then I guess 512 is the max like you said :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Does anybody know what version of classic, non-reforged WC3 supported the above 512x512 textures?
TGA bigger than 512 in any dimension was always supported as far as I am aware.

BLP support for any dimension larger than 512 was pretty much only Reforged. During the reforge development process it was removed, added back and then finally removed again before release.

In Reforged, textures are likely only limited by GPU capabilities. Eventually the graphics API will refuse to load a texture due to it being too large, although for modern GPUs this size can be impractically large anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.