• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maximum Sleep Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
The average sleep an adult (19 years +) should get is 7.5 - 9 hours. If you slept 6.5 hours, you would
acquire 1 hour of sleep debt.

Here's an article about maximum sleep debt:

http://www.tiredmiddleagedman.com/?p=592

In summary: If we were to sleep 6 hours every night for a month, we would acquire a very large sleep
debt. What about if we slept only 6 hours every night for a year, or even 5, 6 or 7 years? How would
this affect the body and how long would it take to neutralize the sleep debt? Is there a maximum sleep
debt?

So I noticed how there are no replies, and I could not find a single article, forum or anything about maximum
sleep debt. This isn't about how to fix sleep debt or about how unlikely it is to sleep 6 hours a night (it is very
possible with work, parenting, etc). I want to see if anyone knows or can find an answer. Is there a maximum
sleep debt? What affects could such a significant sleep debt have on you?

Level 23
Some people like to have a shorter sleep, but it wouldn't really affect them, even with years of that practice, since it is enough for them. People who like to sleep the full 8 hours or maybe even more, when deprived of a few hours of sleep in just a few days, may feel really drowsy and when they sleep, they would be most likely sleep the length of their sleep debt.

So, I think it's up to the lifestyle of the person. The ones who doesn't sleep the full 8 hours may have a shitload of sleep debt, but they wouldn't feel a thing since they are accustomed to it. I don't think there's a max sleep debt too.

Just my thoughts though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Some studies have shown that it is not the amount of sleep, but what happens during the sleep that is important. You can sleep >12 hours and still wake up tired or sleep as little as 4 and be full of energy and not tired at all.

The solo races around the world on small ships really use this in a technique called micro-sleeping if I recall.

Level 18
158487-albums5564-picture73069.gif

Just sleep faster.

Level 16
Some studies have shown that it is not the amount of sleep, but what happens during the sleep that is important. You can sleep >12 hours and still wake up tired or sleep as little as 4 and be full of energy and not tired at all.

Sleeping 4 hours is apparently due to a rare gene that some people have. This website explains sleeping well, and it briefly mentions the rare gene that allows a very small percentage of the population to live with less sleep.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm

Unfortunately this website doesn't say anything about maximum sleep debt either :(

Status
Not open for further replies.