• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Marston's ORPG Version 0.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Hello and welcome to Marston's ORPG! =O

This is the first version of my upcoming ORPG, which was majorly inspired by Ragos ORPG from BOESERTEDDY. This map contains 6 different classes, each with 2 talent trees, 1 boss, 5 mini bosses, 1 dungeon with a boss at the end, various items and a save/load system.

As said above, this map was majorly inspired by Ragos ORPG, including the low level cap (10) and the then following dungeons with more or less hard bossfights. The map isn't finished (~around 50% of the terrain might be finished, but since there are classes missing, more bosses to come and probably much to rebalance, it's not V0.5 =O), but I would like to hear a bit feedback, what you think of this map.

Credits:
- Map Creator: Marston
- Custom Icons: Blizzard Entertainment (World of Warcraft)
- Custom Models: Just_Spectating; Norinrad
- Custom Music: Erm, I'm not sure; I took it from the Enhanced Warcraft III Campaign, created by Terry McDonald (and Blizzard Entertainment, of course)
- Save/Load System: Ace Heart
- Special Thanks: BOESERTEDDY (for creating Ragos ORPG)

Keywords:
Marston's ORPG, ORPG, RPG, Marston
Contents

Marston's ORPG Version 0.1 (Map)

Reviews
13:58, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 4
Technically you're breaking the rules, as the map appears no where near completion [to me it looks like its in the Alpha Stages].

You should put your map here until it is near completion [I'd suggest aprox. 85% terrain, 70% heroes/bosses/etc]. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/

All maps must be close enough to completion to allow for a good experience by the player. This does not limit beta maps that are near completion, but does limit alpha and other under construction maps that are not significantly playable.

Level 3
Hum, if I'm really breaking the rules, then sorry. I've read the quoted text you posted, but
All maps must be close enough to completion to allow for a good experience by the player.
this is basically in there. Because, there wouldn't come more new stuff - just other boss figths an ddungeons. But what awaits you, you can also experience in the current map state. That's why I've uploaded the map. However, if more think it's violating the rules in it's current state, I would take the map down and reupload it later.

Well, unless the map was horrid, the 'allow for a good experience' bit is acceptable. Loads of ORPGs are like this, one example is the Gais Retaliation with only about a quarter of map space filled up, but also exceptional gameplay and quite popular. Marston, I'm downloading the map as I type, and I'll comment and rate soon. Good try anyway.

Level 5
I feel like listing a lot of the bugs and typos I found in this great orpg, so heres all the ones I found along with suggestions. I know the map is not even close to done so just ignore the ones that you were planning to add in later versions.

Make sure to make the items soulbind once you save with them as well since they don't right now.
Fire elementals explode hotkey (E) doesn't work and Berserker can't dual wield like in Ragos ORPG?! :O
Gravediggers tombstone zombie use doesn't work.
It's spelled accessory not accessorie.
In the shadow priest tree Mind Blast hotkey (E) doesn't work and is the same hotkey as your Shadow Attacks dark arrow move once you get it in shadow form.
Tank spec for paladins devotion mana regen aura says ist instead of "the paladin is"

Bandit world boss jeremiah doesn't drop a blue rare.

Soulstealers drain life use also doesn't work, the blue staff from the grand warlock.

In Ragos ORPG the spell trees that required 10 levels to be put in had 12 abilities, whereas your map has 6. ( Not saying its bad but it feels like I have a lot less abilities then I did in Ragos and I'm pretty sure you were planning to add more in the trees. )

Add a repick function.

The kobold dungeon quest after completing it says "if that's isn't great" at the end; a typo :O it should be if that isn't great.

Priests holy final ability in this version seems pretty lame since it lasts just 5 seconds, especially since the paladins light final ability is godlike overpowered it makes me want to reroll paladin since he seems like the superior healer. I would suggest making it heal more then 2% or making it last 8-10 seconds.... or just giving him a ability, I was a fan of the shield of god spell the priests in Ragos ORPG had where it gave AoE invulnerability for 4 seconds!

Last edited:
Okay, I've played the map for quite a while and this is what I think:
At the start, instead of just placing Altars for each player, you can use triggers to select heroes. There are tons of other methods. Also, if you are going to do this, at least provide more information to each class rather than a brief summary and use proper icon placement. I think there were only a couple of quests. It is an ORPG and only has a few quests. If it is open then you should add loads more quests. Another thing concerning the game style is the lack of shops. Nearly all ORPGs have loads of shops and a decent town, however yours has a Merchant at the very top of the town selling random mumbo jumbo and just a bunch of footmen and archers everywhere. The terrain definitely needs some improvement. Add more doodads to create a better atmosphere. The abilities were a bit low standard. I mean, three heroes had taunt and the talent trees were just copies of the 'Spell Book' ability! However, I did like how you could kill creeps and they would drop loads of unique items with different levels. If you put serious work into future versions, this map would become a success. For now, a 3/5 rating. Keep up the good work.

Level 5
Okay, I've played the map for quite a while and this is what I think:
At the start, instead of just placing Altars for each player, you can use triggers to select heroes. There are tons of other methods. Also, if you are going to do this, at least provide more information to each class rather than a brief summary and use proper icon placement. I think there were only a couple of quests. It is an ORPG and only has a few quests. If it is open then you should add loads more quests. Another thing concerning the game style is the lack of shops. Nearly all ORPGs have loads of shops and a decent town, however yours has a Merchant at the very top of the town selling random mumbo jumbo and just a bunch of footmen and archers everywhere. The terrain definitely needs some improvement. Add more doodads to create a better atmosphere. The abilities were a bit low standard. I mean, three heroes had taunt and the talent trees were just copies of the 'Spell Book' ability! However, I did like how you could kill creeps and they would drop loads of unique items with different levels. If you put serious work into future versions, this map would become a success. For now, a 3/5 rating. Keep up the good work.

He pretty much copied Ragos ORPG exactly even with the hero models, names, some abilities, and I love me some Ragos since its all about dungeons and items almost no quests nothing really in town and only one shop to retrain and lvl 10 cap. However I can agree that most of the stuff he took from Ragos ORPG does need to be improved but I like the feel of it and its probably what the maker was going for.

Level 3
He pretty much copied Ragos ORPG exactly even with the hero models, names, some abilities, and I love me some Ragos since its all about dungeons and items almost no quests nothing really in town and only one shop to retrain and lvl 10 cap. However I can agree that most of the stuff he took from Ragos ORPG does need to be improved but I like the feel of it and its probably what the maker was going for.
That's pretty much it. I liked Ragos pretty much and there it was all about dungeons and bosses and looting - no quests or anything like this. Of course, I could just make something like Impossible bosses, but just one bossfight after another would be boring, imo. I also wanted to create a world, with monsters and dungeons, not just one boss rooms.

I also fixed some of the things you have mentioned above, but some bugs... I don't have them, the Holy Explosion and Healing Well hotkey thing you mentioned for example. It works properly with me.

The other things, which require more coding, will be fixed later.
A last thing, what did you think of the bosses? Were they balanced properly?

Level 5
The bosses are pretty damn hard and shouldn't be tried without atleast 5 people or 2 healers 1 tank but thats how ragos was. You should give the bosses more or better specials moves in my opinion Aquanis' ultimate is pretty ghey since its easily avoidable I was thinkin' you were going to give him the naga sea witch from ragos water stampede ultimate :D

Also what do you think about giving the berserker dual wield?

Oh and heres another major bug, at lvl 7 assassin combat it says you get shroud of daggers... but you don't you get absolutely NOTHING For level 7 combat.

Last edited:
Level 3
Oh and heres another major bug, at lvl 7 assassin combat it says you get shroud of daggers... but you don't you get absolutely NOTHING For level 7 combat.
No, you get it. It's just, that some icons are not shown and I have absolutly no idea why that happens. Srsly, mos passive skills (like intellect) are not shown, I have no clue why and have no idea how to avoid it. One class (I think it was the holy Paladin or the Holy Priest) has gotten all passive skills two times - one for the effect and one for the icon, because it just won't show >_>).

For Aquanis, since the elementals spawn randomly in the area, you may have to move a lot, depending on their spawnpoints. And it's just the first boss... xD

Level 5
Well whats shroud of daggers do exactly then o-o

And you still haven't answered me about the berserker dual wield....

Level 3
Shroud of Daggers
Throws a Dagger every 5 seconds at a random enemy in range (400 oder 500, I'm not sure without looking), dealing 10 damage.

I tried to let the berserker dual wield, but because of weird bugs I stopped working on it, since I wanted to have something playable. This might be comming later.

Level 6
Some things i will say after i played this map.
1.The terrain Suxx
2.The spell thing whas nice (if you are priest and pick light you got a ability in "Light")
3.No shops (i think) didnt find any 1 btw.
4.Smal map
5.Nice spells!

I'll give it 2,5/5