• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Marriage

Do you think Marriage is a piece of paper or an awesome thing??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Guys, go have a marriage that'll last for 35 years and then divorce, she can't sue you and take away the house.

Or was it <35 years?..

Level 34
Marriage is a sacrament that binds a man and woman together. The paper is proof of the marriage because we humans like documents. We like visible proof of things.

Level 34
It's hardly (well, it isn't) religious any more. Anyhow, you'd think people would think before they married, but it's their choice. I suppose a certain percent of them are unforseeable.
Far too many people go into it thinking the other person will change, or has changed forever.

And it's still religious for me.

Level 34
I mean more on the level of society.

And indeed about the comment as to going into it. That, or they just haven't lived with the person and thus don't know their quirks well.
Honestly, living with someone is not always a great gauge for marriage. If you think about it, living together before marriage started to become more and more common at the same time the divorce rate went up; so do you think it's a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. I personally think it's one of the reasons.

Level 36
The problem is that people are rushing into marriage, or marrying for the wrong reasons. That's why divorce is so retarded. You have to find someone that perfectly complements you, an exact opposite, really, to counterbalance your life.

Once you find this person, it's basically like you've found your other half, you do everything together and you actually want to. You love working as part of a team, and you've got the perfect team mate for any job.

That's what marriage is really about. Don't believe me? I've seen it.

Level 9
Marriage is definatley a sacred thing!
I feel that if I fail to marry in my life... then I have EPICALLY FAILED.

Level 40
Marrige is sacred, it doesn't matter if it is religious or not. You should still honor it, and only get married if you love the one that you are marrying. Otherwise it is just pointless, imo.
Erm,

Definitions of sacred on the Web:

• concerned with religion or religious purposes; "sacred texts"; "sacred rites"; "sacred music"
  • worthy of respect or dedication; "saw motherhood as woman's sacred calling"
  • consecrated: made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use; "a consecrated church"; "the sacred mosque"; "sacred elephants"; "sacred bread and wine"; "sanctified wine"
  • hallowed: worthy of religious veneration; "the sacred name of Jesus"; "Jerusalem's hallowed soil"
etc.

While one of the definitions agrees with you, the vast majority which don't make it pretty clear sacred is a religious term.

But yes, I know what you mean to say, and I'd agree, but you can't force people to do what you choose in a free society.

Level 34
The problem is that people are rushing into marriage, or marrying for the wrong reasons. That's why divorce is so retarded. You have to find someone that perfectly complements you, an exact opposite, really, to counterbalance your life.

Once you find this person, it's basically like you've found your other half, you do everything together and you actually want to. You love working as part of a team, and you've got the perfect team mate for any job.

That's what marriage is really about. Don't believe me? I've seen it.
But that's the problem. People think you have to like each other at all times, but you won't always "get along". You will fight, you will get mad, and you just have to stick it out because you truly love the person. Love isn't feelings and emotions, it's being there for the person when you don't want to be. True love is when someone gives totally of themselves to the other person. This is the mistake people make. Love isn't gooey feelings. That's affection, which is good, but it's not love. Love is a choice, and a commitment.

Level 9
Obviously, relationships where the couple gets along perfectly at all times are always hollow and fake.

It's the opposites that attract, and you wont suddenly agree on everything just because you're in love, and that's a good thing.

I agree! I think successful marriages should have there own problems and arguments... It should show that the couple can get through difficult times together.

Level 5
Marriage is great. Find the one you love marry them and have a great life its not difficult but let your heart decide you mind is primal and only thinks about sex whatever you do dont marry for sex or looks!

Level 34
Last I heard, it's approximately 5 positives to one negative for a stable marriage.

--

On a slightly unrelated note, it's kind've funny to have a bunch of teenagers debating about marriage.
I'm technically not a teenager. :)
Although I admit it's funny.

Level 27
one of the definitions agrees with you
Then you know which one he was using.
On a slightly unrelated note, it's kind've funny to have a bunch of teenagers debating about marriage.
And "true love", no less.
What is this... marriage? Do I get cookies from it!?
Copious amounts.
It has different meanings to everyone
Yeah. I find it funny when people talk about society as if it's global.

Status
Not open for further replies.