• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maps Use Mods WHaa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Ok, still verrrry new to the editor. Just read a bit about mods, just want to make sure I somewhat understand them before I go off wasting my time. So a map can use unlimited mods, correct? And mods aren't as restricted as far as MB limit is concerned? (More than 8?)

So, would it be a good to make a mod containing all the unit data that would be used in one of my maps and then just set the map to use that mod? Also, mods can be protected from other people who might want to use the data within it just like maps are protected, correct?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If you are so parranoid about protecting what you produce, I have my concerns about you being able to actually focus on making good content. Yes you can make them private use only (only you can use) but seriously there is nearly no point to do so as all models should be comming from the author's mods or if you made them be available for others to use.

Mods as far as I know have no limit in file size however still are limited to the maximum publish capacity of the account. I was unable to test them cause blizzard never allowed custom games during phase 2 (pretty much pointless for them to have a phase 2).

Level 11
Maps can use any number of mods, if there is a limit it is likely very large. Mods do not contribute to a maps size (aside from the few bytes that come from setting the dependencies)

However, unit data takes up almost no room, as it is all text XML files. What you should really use mods for is when you want to have custom models and such, the kind of things that really take up tons of space. Also, I don't believe mods are subject to a limit on size, but they might be, haven't gotten a chance to test this.

In any case, if you really wanted to, you can always create a mod to store your data after the fact using an mpq editor. For now, however, I would say it is definitely not worth the hassle until you are planning on actually publishing your stuff on Bnet. I really doubt you would ever fill up 8mbs of space with object data though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
All mods must be published for a map to choose them as a usable data source. The limit will be viewable by going to the publish section of galexy editor. If you took part in the beta (played the beta) you probably already know it. If not wait 6 days and you will be able to see for yourself as the ammount allocated for the beta might not reflect when you end up getting in the real game.

If you are so parranoid about protecting what you produce, I have my concerns about you being able to actually focus on making good content. Yes you can make them private use only (only you can use) but seriously there is nearly no point to do so as all models should be comming from the author's mods or if you made them be available for others to use.

Mods as far as I know have no limit in file size however still are limited to the maximum publish capacity of the account. I was unable to test them cause blizzard never allowed custom games during phase 2 (pretty much pointless for them to have a phase 2).
Hey, Blizzard said so themselves. They were just gonna check their new servers, if they didn't work well, then they would waste more time to get the servers up. On another note, we might be able to h4x ourselves into the beta servers by hacking the game, which is illegal.

Level 3
mods is very good idea
you can use same mod in different maps
in your mod you can save outside models but you can save also
all data create whit data editor(spells ,combined models ,effects ,actors ,units behaviors ,objects etc. )
for example if you create dota and after that pudge wars or shadow wars you can use the same mode from dota(models for pudge or shadow fiend and ability for hook or shadow rise)
I think you dont need to publish your mod just give link from were can be downloaded(i need this mod on my pc not need the mod was been published)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Mods are useful for altered melees. Unlike WC3 where decent altered melees required you to use triggers, in SC2 you can get away with just using data editor created content. Thus once you make the altered melee mod you could set up altered melee maps from existing melee ones in a few minutes.

Ofcourse their major use will be to supply art resources and the pre created data to use them. For example a custom model like a US marine mod would have the model, all textures, all model / texture data and an example actor set up so it can be used within seconds. As the actor would be finely set up, you will not have to waste time yourself making sure all animations work.

Level 3
not only for altered melees
for all types and kinds of maps if they use data editor or custom models

mods is very good idea
you can use same mod in different maps
in your mod you can save outside models but you can save also
all data create whit data editor(spells ,combined models ,effects ,actors ,units behaviors ,objects etc. )
for example if you create dota and after that pudge wars or shadow wars you can use the same mode from dota(models for pudge or shadow fiend and ability for hook or shadow rise)
I think you dont need to publish your mod just give link from were can be downloaded(i need this mod on my pc not need the mod was been published)
Your logic fails. Badly.

It's as simple as this. You make the mod. Store files, object data, etc in them. Then, adding it in the depencies (or w/e) of your map, will allow you to load a list of all the stuff in your modfile. Which must be PUBLISHED TO WORK.

Level 3
i cant answer certainly before i test in battle net
unfortunately i cant now
but i think that i must only have mod on my pc and all is ok

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Maps can only use published mods, (which are part of their dependencies).

You can both unpublish maps and mods. However unpublishing a mod still allows maps which used the mod to be played flawlessly (asif the mod still existed) however new maps will be unable to reference the mod. Likewise the version of the mod used at the time of map publishing is used rather than the lattest always to prevent mod changes from breaking maps which used the mod.

Level 13
How can maps still work if the mod is no longer there? If Blizzard doesn't delete it from their servers, then we theoretically have unlimited upload space.
True, but it's not like the current space limit taxes their server space in the slightest. A free gmail account gives you 7GB; a $60 SC2 account gives you considerably less. The lack of space is the price to pay for having every version of every map on database.

However, exploiting the system would be somewhat tiresome. Also, abusing it (uploading a 20MB map and then playing it once, then deleting and repeating with a new name, ad infinitum) will probably get you banned.

Level 3
how can you know this
i create map which using custom mod and when mod is in true folder my map can run from editor (in battle net maybe work difference )
whatever you cant know this whit reassurance

Level 11
Old maps get deleted. Also, they can increase the storage space; likely the current limit is to prevent Bnet from being flooded with swarms of shitty maps (think LOAP) and they will let genuinely good mapmakers have significantly more space. The 20mb limit could also have been beta-exclusive.

As for deleting a mod, I would imagine it would remove it from the servers, potentially breaking any maps that use it. Probably would be best to back up mods that you use, so that in the event the modmaker removes it you still have it available.

Level 3
i mean from were you know that i need to publish my mod,not giving link from were can be downloaded
my question is why i must publishing my mods
(maps have mods requirements sc2 search in folder mods and all is ok where is the problem why i must publishing no logic )

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You lot really should read what blizzard posts more...
They said quite clearly that stuff is never removed from their servers, instead you may nolonger be able to axcess it. Maps that use deleted mods will still work and be hostable. Updating the map however will not work unless you change the mod it uses to one that is not deleted. Thus why names are reserved and 2 maps can not be published with the same name.

Level 3
maybe my English is too bad and you cant understand me
if you publish map named x and your map needed mod named y but you dont publish mod y
i can play your map if i have mod y without you published him
now i hope you understand me

Last edited:
How can maps still work if the mod is no longer there? If Blizzard doesn't delete it from their servers, then we theoretically have unlimited upload space.
X map has mod Y. You publish them. Player Z downloads them both. The creator of XY, deletes mod Y, leaving only X there. Player V wants to play, but he can't, because he only has the map. Player Z still can, because he has it in his downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.