• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Request a little insight into Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
How do mods work exactly as far as access is concerned? i.e. Can I make a mod were a person who implements it has access to everything, can alter triggers for their map specifically, or see how the trigger actually executes. Can I make a mod were the user can strictly call functions and not actually see what they do? (for instance if you want some bank encryption data not to be known).

In other words, what level of access can I generate with mods, is there anyway to generate it if it's not there? Like a map depending on a mod depending on a mod, were the first mod would be more of a middle man?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
(for instance if you want some bank encryption data not to be known).
This is redundant now that banks can have checksums on them. The checksums are a product of account name, publisher and the data contained within. There is a minor bug causing curroption of the banks with checksum though but luckilly Windows 7 can be set to keep shadow copies of banks to prevent data loss.

You can make 2 sorts of mod. Public were everyone can see everything in the mod and private where only your maps can use the mod.

Level 7
I was referring to more of a kind of encapsulation. You know, to have certain elements, functions, or whatever in a mod, that can't actually be accessed.

Level 7
Not familiar with how OOP works?...

Sc2's language is inherently procedural, like warcraft 3, the point of encapsulation is to protect the user from himself, to not let him alter constants that should under no circumstances be altered. Vex gave us a crude form of this, the obvious issue being the user could simply scroll through the copy/pasted code to find what exactly is being hidden from view, though its not like he could have done anything about it anyway because of the nature of scripting.

However, mods over what to me seems like an obvious possibility for that, and whether you understand it or not, it's a very handy tool. I suppose making a private mod and storing all private information in that mod, and then a public mod that depends on the private would be the best way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.