• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Need help linking mods and maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I need some help. I want to learn the basics of settling up a map and mod so I can test the changes I'm making to a mod. I understand a lot of the data stuff, but I don't understand how to link a pre-existing map with a new mod and how to publish it and test it. Any help would be awesome, thanks.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start with my own map or if I can import a map that already exists so I can start modding. I only want to make balance changes. I remember doing it a long time ago when Sc2 came out and doing something with dependencies, but I was never able to link a mod to a Blizzard map. Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I think Blizzard added a feature a few months ago that allows you to create "custom games" of melee maps which use a mod as a data source. Before then you needed to use dependencies and create a custom map which was based on the melee map with your mod as a dependency.

This is not in the Arcade section, but rather the custom game section. Obviously you will need to publish your mod online for it to be selectable.

Level 2
I think Blizzard added a feature a few months ago that allows you to create "custom games" of melee maps which use a mod as a data source. Before then you needed to use dependencies and create a custom map which was based on the melee map with your mod as a dependency.

This is not in the Arcade section, but rather the custom game section. Obviously you will need to publish your mod online for it to be selectable.

Thanks for the reply! Here's what I don't understand. If I create a new mod, I just get a blank screen with no map. Should I load up a pre-existing map and start making changes to the data?

Thanks for the reply! Here's what I don't understand. If I create a new mod, I just get a blank screen with no map. Should I load up a pre-existing map and start making changes to the data?
Basically, a mod works like a map that other maps load information from. Working with it directly is fine, but you need to add it as a dependency to test it.

Level 2
Thanks guys. I can test it by linking it with an pre-existing SC2 map. I can't publish it though because it says I haven't changed the description. Does anyone know how to fix that so I can publish the mod?

Also, I get this problem with I include campaign data. I was hoping to use Lurkers so I inlcuded the campaign data, but I can't make overlords. This happens:

http://postimg.org/image/m3akp8pl7/

Level 2
Those errors hint that there are a lot of missing textures.

That's strange. I copied that map right from the map pool. Anyway, thanks for your help. If you want people to try your mod, is it better to create a dependent or extension mod? It says that a dependent mod can be used by multiple maps, but then Blizzard says extension mods are a good format that allows anyone to play your mod with any map. What's the real difference between the two formats?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Dependant mods are aimed at providing assets for arcade games. An example would be a model pack which features all the models someone made. With it being public anyone can use it in their arcade maps. It not only saves space for the mapper (since they do not need to attach the model to their account) but also saves bandwidth for the player (the mod is only downloaded once, even if 100 maps use it, the mod will still be downloaded once). Basically everything in these mods are passive and will only do anything to the map if implicitly used by the map.

Extension mods are more stand alone. They are designed to be added to existing maps to add additional content. The example I think Blizzard gave us was a mod that will make mineral fields move around in standard melee. Basically anything in these mods is completely passive and will do stuff to maps without the map even needing to know the mod exists.

For modified melee it is best to use extension mods as then you can apply them to any number of melee maps just by changing the mod. For arcade maps it is best to use dependant mods since your map will be referencing a lot of new content that is unique to your map.

However it does not stop there. You can make a extension mod that references many dependant mods for assets. Or you could make a extension mod for arcade maps that provides various utilities and systems that will automatically be applied by just importing the mod. How you choose to design your mods is entirely flexible and you can nest to a heavy degree if that makes things easier.

In your case it sounds like you want an extension mod since you want it to be usable on many, already existing melee maps.

Level 2
Thanks Dr. Super Good. That's definitely answers my question. I have a few more questions about making new units and the command card. I can ask in a new thread or post them in this one.

I know how to make a new unit, but I'm having trouble assigning the weapon to it and putting it on the command card for larva. I copied the unit from the Infestor and I want to give it an attack. I included an attack command, but I'm not sure how to link the weapon. I don't get a weapon category in the bottom window under "unit" that has the other headings like "Abilities" "Actors" "Behaviours" etc. Thanks.

I'll post a link to my mod. The unit is called "Worm" and the weapon is "WormWeapon."

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ych4l522mfcdocy/antenna.SC2Mod

edit: The mod is linked to a test map in the preferences. It's an extention mod, so you can change that to whatever you want to test it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Under the unit's entry in the unit catalogue you will find array fields such as for behaviours, weapons, abilities etc. Add whatever you want to them. Weapons will automatically appear properly in the interface if linked. You may need to use table view instead of their clunky GUI to easily spot these fields.

Every unit also has a array for command card buttons. These are the buttons that appear by standard in the lower right area when you select a unit and cover unit abilities to simple actions like attack. Just because you add an ability to the unit does not mean it will appear in the command card and be usable (although triggers can still cast it by bypassing the command card and issuing orders directly). You will need to modify the command card fields directly and add the buttons where you want them in game. Remember that you will need to attach an order to the button for it to do anything and so that it can cast an ability.

Level 2
Okay, thanks. Got it. You have to "equip" the weapon.
The one thing I'm having trouble with now is using different actors for the units. If I use a model that isn't a standard unit in the game, I can't select 2 or more of them at once. If it's a regular model like a marine or zergling, it works fine. Is there a way to get it to work normally if I use a neutral creature for the model?

Status
Not open for further replies.