• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mapmaking: Worthwhile right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm thinking of making a co-op map which will have a moderate amount of custom models and textures. The map won't use any tricks that hack the World Editor nor the game itself, and thereby should not have any gamebreaking bugs at the time of the remaster.

With the impending release of Reforged, I worry, still, that such a map may potentially break to unplayability at the release of Reforged.

By extension, I also wonder if map making in general is a worthwhile pursuit at the moment. I imagine many custom map makers have more than a few worries with the release of all the new coming changes, even if the editor will be seeing improvements. Would it be better to just wait for the modified editor to come into play?

Level 11
According to what Blizzard employees stated during Blizzcon, most maps that don't use too many custom art nor hacky tricks should be working in Reforged. I suppose yours should be fine.

As for your second question, I would continue my work if I were you. First, because it will take months before the game is released (no date was officially announced apart from 2019, but I suppose it will be at some point during autumn 2019). Secondly, because your map should be working with Reforged. And finally, provided you could open your map in Reforged, you will still be able to use the new functionalities to improve your map then.

And also, it's not the result that matters, it's the process! :)

Good luck with your project!

Level 6
It's confirmed that maps will be transferred over if you wish into reforged. However, since the editor will be a bit different previous triggers may not be their anymore or certain things may not work the same anymore. Generally, it's still worth it most likely, personally, I'm still developing stuff and plan to convert based on how reforged plays and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.