• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map size increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Firstly, I hope I am writing in a proper place, if I dont plz move this topic to the rightest.
Secondly, I hope I am not repeating old clues, if I do plz gimme right link and close this topic.
i wonder if u let me know about any idea how to increse maximal map size to have it playable for more than 1 guy. Now it's 8mb. I am not sure is it limiy only for bnet, plz let me know it. I need more space for old good LegionTD to develop it like it's worth it :D. Help plz.
Thanks
PROc

Level 19
there are plently of ways to reduce the size of imports
mdx files can be squished (key word: mdx quisher)
blp files can be compressed (blp lab)
mp3 files are unnecessary (you can't really compress them well with good sound quality but you can use midi files with some kind of hack)
and after the map is done (make sure you made a backup) there are tools like widgetizer or vexorians mapoptimizer to compress them further
also most imports are not needed if you are creative enough
also you can't really publish maps as big as 8mb unless you have billions of dollars for servers or lots of time on your hands
feel free to use the forum search
this questions have been asked and answered many times before ;)

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
You can also delete some models and change with regular Wc3 ones. I played a lot Legion TD, and I can't see a reason why you have so much models...
If you need any help with the project, PM me cause I am good triggerer and I love your map ^^

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
There is no way in WC3 to raise the maximum multiplayer file size limit legally.

The illegal way is hacking the game to support such maps and playing on third party servers. Both these violate the WC3 ToU in atleast 1 way.

I advise removing unnescescary art (stuff that is shown for a few seconds for example), optimizing triggers using JASS, optimizing the map using vexorian's optimizer and making sure all icons, textures and art is compressed effectivly.

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
I would just use Vexorian to be honest :ogre_hurrhurr:
No need to convert to JASS if you don't know how to work with it in my opinion.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, Teach a man to fish and you feed him, for a lifetime."

Level 4
You can also delete some models and change with regular Wc3 ones. I played a lot Legion TD, and I can't see a reason why you have so much models...
If you need any help with the project, PM me cause I am good triggerer and I love your map ^^

But now with egZe we are adding new towers to old races so we need many models. Best ones are quite hard so...

The only way is to split map into 2 different using old/new races. Then I gonna be able to have everything what I wanted in ech one. The only disadvantage is obvious - not that many races.

It's the only way as I see, also Goblin will be canceled for sure.

EgZe resigned from developing 2 different maps so I am alone. I can't code and need help, will do my best.

Here's some ways to save space:

IMPORTS:
1. Music/sound - get rid of it unless it is around 2mb or less, or your map is single-player.
2. Icons/Textures - I read that you can reduce the quality to 75% and get a similar result to save space.
3. Portraits - for some models (especially ones with no mouths) you can just create a camera with Magos Model Editor and not bother importing a Portrait for it.

MISC:
1. Widgetize - use the Widgetizer to handle object data and increase load time.
2. Optimize - use Vexorian's Optimizer to save space and protect your map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Widgetize - use the Widgetizer to handle object data and increase load time.
Next to the misake you corrected, you failed to mention this actually increases map size (atleast some times). It is strongly advisible because it makes the map more playable but it will not help solve the problem with filesize the thread creator is having.

Status
Not open for further replies.