• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Map Protector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Br0

Br0

Level 4
Due to ExtProtects process and somehow also converting the map type from TFT to RoC extensions, it has a chance to alter code or destroy it or something goes wrong inside your triggers. Just try again, and it might work. I am not fully sure, but that is what I think happens.

Br0

Br0

Level 4
Shouldn't bother with trying to corrupt to protect, but rather corrupt to reduce file size and loading times and lag.

Level 10
How about you just stop being a coward afraid someone might laugh at your coding style in a dying genre where noone plays non-dota games anyway and how could anyone ever profit from "stealing" your work anyway?

And don't use the filesize excuse. We aren't sending the maps around on dial up connections or floppy disks.

Br0

Br0

Level 4
I agree Teelo, but a bit harsh don't you think? What dying genre? Actually it is pretty close to dial up connections looking at how slow it is over WAN lately in Wc3.

Also protection should still be used to avoid noobs from taking the map and using it for cheats or something... should at least provide a challenge for them to try to cheat and rip the map open. However the maker should always let people who want to learn get the unprotected version unlike everyone else which is why Wc3 took so long to advance I would assume.

Br0

Br0

Level 4
Well you really can't stop cheats anymore since they can inject directly to map script nowadays, only thing optimizing does is help the map out. I have seen others able to host games as well myself, and bots can do it too... To protect/corrupt the map to keep it away from people/theifs is paranoid, to stop random people and help filse size and loading time is fine I would think.

Cheat how? Noone can host games anymore. Anyone who protects maps now is just paranoid.
Or no.

I think you don't know the "Effect Renouveau (renewal)". Le Renouveau de Lordaeron (Lordaeron's Renewal) was a french rp map. The original map wasn't protected. Actually, you have hundreds of different Renouveau de Lordaeron maps.

Level 10
I think you don't know the "Effect Renouveau (renewal)". Le Renouveau de Lordaeron (Lordaeron's Renewal) was a french rp map. The original map wasn't protected. Actually, you have hundreds of different Renouveau de Lordaeron maps.

Then the original map maker should be proud that his idea is so popular. It is not like he could ever sell it, and its not like anyone who rips it off can either.

Br0

Br0

Level 4
Then the original map maker should be proud that his idea is so popular. It is not like he could ever sell it, and its not like anyone who rips it off can either.

The problem is that how can you ever know the right version without all the add-on's or cheats?

Level 17
in the grand scheme of things map protection is the wrong way to go :) if your map is popular then i can assure you that people will only play the original version by this i mean your map has good coding and spells there are many dota immitations - dota imba, dota with random spells, Gota (XD) however people still only play the original i dont know of a "noob" who will ever try to even take a moment to look at a jass code they will quickly be overwhelmed and give up. of course there are some exceptions like green td for example XD that map has simple triggers and that is why there are thousands of versions out there however the original map creator, Hit, is still given credit in most maps' loading screens. thus do now worry about your map being stolen but even if it is what are you really losing?

Status
Not open for further replies.