• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Map problem - mass errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi everyone! I am the ukrainian map maker. I made one map named Friends Farm and workin at it. Current map size is 4.25 mb now and I'm suffering of mass errors while playing this map alone (sometimes) or with another people.
I searched for answer across the internet, but everybody says that it is the hardware problem. Bu I know that it it the map problem so I came here hoping that somebody helps me to solve this problem.
I'd be very thankful.
Faithfully yours, ZiGOR.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The problem is not a memory! Cause every player gets error at the same time.
The problem is that the game process runs out of memory. The ammount of virtual memory the game process can allocate is not dependant on the amount of memory your computer system has.

For WarCraft III this is 4 GB. Even if you have 512 MB of physical memory of 8192 MB of physical memory the process will still be able to allocate 4 GB of memory thanks to virtual memory.

The reason you run out of memory is the game must get into a state of infinite recursion in which it allocates memory each itteration.

Why this happens we cannot tell unless you specify more clearly when the crash occurs.

Level 10
unless you specify more clearly when the crash occurs.

The crash happens every time in different moments, what about me - somtimes I just run. I'm asking some peolpe what are they doing - they tell "nothing" or using some ability but they were using it 10 times before and nothing happened, so it is not an ablilty too...

I remember one time I attacked enemy with my Thunderbolt by rexxar and it happened... or today I was just running looking for some PvP and it crashed...

sometimes it happens in mass pvp when lot of people use abilities...

one man told me that it crashed when he was walking near trees...

Dr Super Good, you mean that on my Hard disk must be at least 4GB of physical memory?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Dr Super Good, you mean that on my Hard disk must be at least 4GB of physical memory?
I will not go into details about the internal workings of an operating system here.

Anyway I cannot see anything wrong with your map at a rough glance. Try disabling parts to see if the crash is resolved as WC3 has a lot of undiscovered and hard to explain bugs in it.

Level 37
When I try to find a trigger that makes a crash I start to remove triggers and see if the project crashes.

For example, start by removing half of your triggers, then test your map. If it crashes, try other half, if project doesn't crash the error must be in the triggers you just removed. That way eventually you'll find the problem.

If it doesn't crash then you should look the object editor, especially the abilities that has negative values(or values that are normally not possible). Those can make crashes or strange things too. For example once I had an ability with 500 levels and in the game it turned to a whole different ability. I fixed the problem by using less levels. But ehh, that wasn't crash problem.

Level 26
The first thing you do when facing a fatal error without clue is taking a look at the error log in Warcraft III\Errors\. If it's related to object data, there might be some instances of the same 4 letter sequence throughout the memory dump in the .txt file, which refers to the bad object. Anyway, post that error log please. And keep in mind that there might be multiple sources errors emerge from.

@Aeroblyctos: That only works well when your triggers do not depend on one another too much to not raise new problems. Of course, it should be designed module-wise.

Level 10
Anyway, post that error log please.

here you go:
View attachment 2012-02-29 14.56.20 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-02 17.14.48 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-04 22.41.56 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-04 22.55.59 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-08 10.43.41 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-11 00.46.47 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-11 22.21.01 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-11 23.00.27 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-13 01.40.40 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-13 02.07.37 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-13 10.19.40 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-13 14.35.23 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-13 22.26.54 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-17 23.40.47 Crash.txt
View attachment 2012-03-18 23.21.25 Crash.txt

When I try to find a trigger that makes a crash I start to remove triggers and see if the project crashes.

If the problem is in triggers - than the game have to crash every time when it activates, right? My map started crushing after I creater creeps respawn triggers. But many times I played normal game with people and nothing crashed.

you should look the object editor, especially the abilities that has negative values(or values that are normally not possible).

I checked all those abilities, everything works normally... Some games I can use many times some ability and one lucky moment can make my map to crash when i'm casting some ability... is it coincidence or not? o_O

Guys, how do you think, could it be because of big count of creeps on my map? (but map didn't notice that there are too much of them)

Attachments

• 2012-03-12 23.33.13 Crash.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 2012-03-15 01.01.14 Error.txt
    26.8 KB · Views: 244
Level 10
WaterKnight, thank you, I'll check it right now!

Aeroblyctos, one thing is really stops me, cause when I play alone - I never have crashes, and if I'll remove triggers - noone will want to play ;D
I only know that it crashes if I test it with another players...
P.S. Testing my map without triggers can take a pretty much time... so please be patient okay?)))

Level 26
As I said, I could reconstruct the crash by taking that Rebra item and approaching that Zigor unit in middle, which spawned a lot of possible targets with Dark Portal and Chaos Rain. I am very sure that a big part of your crashes derived from this as it's mentioned in the logs but you also posted some that did not include it, so would guess there are more problem causers.

The aura bug was always 0x000000000only zeroes.

Level 10
Spawning so much golems by dark portal and chaos rain never crashed the game, by the way)
I'll continue to test my map, buying Assaul Cuirass item al the time) if it'll not crash at least 10 times - it will mean that everything's all right!) And I'll add your name to the map testers ^^.

Status
Not open for further replies.